They're Back

Protect Us

The next day, I woke up and got ready for school. Instead of a uniform, like what I wore in high school, I wore my normal clothes, something I was always uncomfortable with. That's why I snapped at Youngjae, when he commented on my clothes. My parents weren't the richest couple in the world, unlike my aunt who owned this house.

Instead of using my allowance to buy clothes, I always bought more art supplies because that was the only thing that got me that scholarship. Instead of wearing dresses, skirts, and nice tops like everyone else, I always wore pants and tops that were out of style. Since I lived in the countryside, there were limited pieces of clothing I could buy and I refused to go to the city to go shopping. That was also the only place I could afford with the rest of my allowance.

I looked at the mirror and sighed, "You can do this Hye Mi. Don't be the weird book worm you were last year. This year, you'll ignore any negative comments." I straightened my clothes, picked up my bag and headed out the door.

By bus, the university was only a 10 minute ride. I got off the bus and headed to the front board to check my classes. Of course, all the girls on the campus wore nice floral shirts, dresses, skirts, skinny jeans and everything else I didn't own. I looked at the list, and found out that my class was in B274, in the second wing. I grabbed the campus map from my bag and headed towards my room.

The weird thing was, no one made fun of my clothes. Sure, they have me looks but they didn't laugh or anything, unlike my high school days. I shrugged it off and continued to find my class. After a 10 minute walk around the campus, I finally found the room.

When I opened the door, I was so surprised at what I saw in my class. Everyone was wearing the same thing as me. They wore baggy shirts and pants. Some were much dirtier than mines. In the class, instead of chairs and tables like the lecture room, we had to sit in front of an art canvas. I smiled at the fact that no one will laugh at my clothes. This was definitely my kind of environment. The time was ticking but the instructor hadn't arrived yet. He or she was late on the first day. Everyone was talking to each other, but since there was no one sitting beside me, I wasn't talking to anyone.

The door burst open, "SORRY I'M LATE!" he shouted.

Everyone turned their heads towards him. I turned around, too and we made eye contact.

His face was small, with a perfect V-line chin. He had jet black hair that covered most of his eyes. He wore a baggy black t-shirt with a skull on it, dark skinny jeans that made his legs look skinnier than mine, and a black pair of shoes. He also had simple accessories that made his look even cooler. In other words, he looked perfect. He stared at me for a couple seconds before his friend yelled, "Why are you always late, Jiho? You're lucky the instructor's late."

"Sorry, sorry. It won't happen again," he laughed as he walked towards his friends. I turned back around. I guess he isn't going to be the one who's going to sit beside me. I wish there’s going to be another person late for class. I stared at the empty seat and sighed.

"Why are you sighing?" a voice said behind me. I turned around and it was the guy from before. "N-nothing." I stuttered.

"Nothing? That doesn't make sense to what I just asked you," he laughed. "Do you mind if I sit here?" he pointed at the empty seat beside me.

"Y-yes…-I mean no."

"Is that a yes or no?" he chuckled at my loss of words.

"You can sit here," I blushed. It was only five seconds since I started talking to him and he was already teasing.

"Thanks," he smiled and put down his bag.

I turned around and faced my empty canvas. I was debating if I should start a conversation with him or not. "What's your name?" he interrupted my thoughts.

I turned my head, "P-pardon?"

"You stutter a lot, don't you?" he raised his eyebrow. "I’m kidding!" he said, almost immediately. "It's probably because you're wondering why I'm sitting here instead of with my friends aren't you?" I slowly nodded. "I thought I'd learn from you if I sat here. I saw something really artistic about you," he complimented.

"...Thanks." It was the first time I was complimented on my artwork, other than my family and teachers that helped me get the scholarship. The students at my high school were too proud of themselves to leave a comment.  And on top of that, he's good looking.

"So what's your name?" he asked again.

"Hye Mi Lee," I replied. "What's yours?"

"Jiho Park, nice to meet you." He held out his hand for me to grab. I smiled and grabbed it. "Nice to meet you, too."

The door burst open and the teacher entered. "Sorry I'm late class. Let's get started." In class, we started right away on learning the techniques of painting like, how to layer colours and blend them in. It wasn't something I haven't already learned and I'm sure it was the same for the rest of the class.

Finally, class was done. The instructor dismissed us and we packed our bags to go to our next class. I saw Jiho leave the classroom without saying goodbye while I was packing my bag. I knew it was too good to be true. I guess he just thought of me as a great artist, rather than a friend. After I zipped my bag up, I headed out the door. Instead of eating, I wanted to walk around the campus to be familiar with it. I wasn't that hungry. We barely did anything in class anyway.

"Hye Mi." I turned my head and saw Jiho pushing himself off the wall. "Where are you going? Do you have another class?"

"I have lunch break right now and then I have another class. I have a lecture," I told him.

“A154?” he asked.

I looked at my timetable again and nodded. “How’d you know?”

“That’s my class, too! I guess I have you in both my classes," he smiled. “Where are you going to eat?”

“I’m going to tour the campus instead.”

“Aren’t you going to get hungry? You need energy for your next class."

It wasn't hungry... I just didn't have anyone to eat with. "I forgot my lunch," I fibbed.

"I saw a sandwich in your bag though..." he walked up to me.

I unconsciously held onto my backpack. "Y-you saw wrong. It was probably my notebook."

"You're stuttering~ I don't think you're telling me the truth." He took a step closer and I took a step back. "There's no lunch in here."

"Let me check then." He took another step and I took another step back. "There’s nothing in here!"

"Hye Mi~" he took a step.

"Fine! I have a sandwich but I don't want to eat it because I have no one to eat with okay?!" I snapped, annoyed by his constant questioning.

He laughed and threw an arm over my shoulder. "That's what friends are for."

I pushed his arm off my shoulder. "I don't have any friends. I'm a scholarship student so I don't know anyone here."

"Oh my!" he exaggerated his gasp and placed his arm on my shoulder again. "Scholarship student? I guess a made the right choice by sitting next to you, then."

"Yeah...I guess. Well, I'm going to go now." I tried to move away from his arm around my shoulder but he held on tight.

"What do you mean? You're going to eat your lunch."

"I said I-" he cut me off.

"I'm your friend, so you're going to have to eat with me." He started to walk, with me under his arm.

"But what about your friends?" I asked.

"Eh, they won't miss me," he shrugged. "Now let's go, scholar girl!" I stared at him and then I burst into a happy laugh. "Why are you laughing? Are you that happy that I'm your friend?" he nudged. I nodded, "Yeah. I am." He laughed and messed up my hair. I could already tell that he would be a really good friend.

The day ended quickly with Jiho entertaining me. He was quite the joker. We had all our art classes together, which was true for all art students. We had a couple extra credit lectures together, too. During our breaks, we would meet up and tour around the campus as much as we could before the next class started.

The last class of the day ended and we were packing our bags to go home. It was a long day but it went by quicker than I thought. "You ready? Let's go!"

"Oh, I'm going to the library," I told him.

"Why? There's nothing good in the library. This is your first day, why do you need to go to the library?"

"I'm gonna-" I stopped. I didn't want to tell him that I was a bookworm. That might affect our friendship, so I fibbed again. "...check how big it is. I heard it was HUGE."

"You're so weird," he laughed. "See you tomorrow." He messed up my hair and left. I fixed my hair and sighed in relief. I took out my campus map and headed towards the library. The library was pretty hard to get to. I had to walk all the way to the other side of the campus to reach the building. Once I stepped into the library, my mouth has hanging open. The library was indeed huge. The biggest I had ever seen!

I quickly walk towards the fiction section of the library and I was amazed at the huge variety of books. I thought campus libraries only held books with information in them.

The aisles were tall and long and I excitedly scanned for any alien based novels. There weren't as many as I expected. That was really disappointing. Most of them were books I already read. I finally decided to take out three books and headed to the counter to sign them out.

When I was done, I headed out the library to go home. I saw Jiho talking to his friends outside the campus entrance. He looked my way and waved but I quickly turned around and walked another direction.

"Hye Mi!" I heard him call out. I walk faster but I heard him running towards me. I didn't want him to find out about my weird hobby. I suddenly stopped because there were two ways to go. I looked left and right but I couldn't make my decision.

"Hye Mi!"

I turned around and gasped but before I could do anything, a hand grabbed my arm and pulled me onto the wall and covered me with their body.

"Let g-" I screamed, but they put their face close to my face. I gasped and close my eyes due to the closeness.

"Hye Mi!" I heard again. This time, he was only several meters away. I held on to my books tighter. "Where did she go? Tch, I guess I'll ask her tomorrow." I heard him turn around and walk away and whisper, "Awkward."

When he was gone, the person let go of me. I opened my eyes and I was mindblown. "YONGGUK?!" I thought he and the aliens would be gone from my life forever but what was he doing here?

"Do you think I'm Himchan then?" he sarcastically replied.

"What are you doing on my campus?" I pointed at him.

"Hey, hey, hey. Pointing is rude. Hadn't your parents taught you that?" he pushed away my finger.

"That's not the point! What are you doing here?"

"I saved you from that human and that's the first thing you ask me? Gee, you're welcome."

"Stop changing the topic! Didn't you find a new protector? Or are you here to give me that Mem-O spray?"

"Neither," he replied. "Let's go home first."

"He might still be there though..." I walked out a bit to check.

"Is he bothering you? I can destroy him if you want," he offered and my eyes widened. "NO! He's my friend!" I shouted. The last thing I want is an alien shooting Jiho with a laser.

"Are you playing hide and seek?" he randomly asked, peeking around the corner.

I looked at him weirdly. "How do you know that game? And no, were not."

"We're robots," he said the obvious. “We know everything humans do. Hop on." He kneeled down with his back facing me.

"What for?" I asked.

"Do you want to get on or do I have to use force?" He raised his eyebrow and waited for me to get on.

"The first one," I quickly agreed. I stuffed my books in my bag and climbed onto his back.

"Ready?" he stood up.

"Ready for wh-AAHHHHHH!" I screamed. He jumped up and flew in the air just like he did that night when I first found him. I held on tight around his neck because my life depended on it. "What are you doing?!" I shouted. "Why are you flying in broad daylight?!"

"Do you want to attract attention to us? If not, shut up." I didn't say anymore and I held on tighter to prevent myself from falling. I swear I heard a chuckle from him.

Surprisingly, we landed safely in front of the door without anyone noticing. He kneeled down for me to get off but when I got off, I lost my balance and was about to fall when Yongguk caught my waist. I blushed at the contact.

"Be careful," he warned and helped me stand up properly. With the help of Yongguk, we walked to the door and I punched in the passcode to the door. It beeped opened. We walked inside and the aliens were standing up, waiting for us.

"Hye Mi!" Himchan grabbed me away from Yongguk and gave me a bone crushing hug. "I missed you so much! I thought I'd die from the separation!" he cried.

"You're choking her again," said Yongguk.

"Oops! Sorry Hye Mi." He let go and I let out a big cough.

"Hye Mi! Noona!" the other three aliens ran up to me and gave me a soft hug.

"I missed you so, so, so, so much, Noona!"

"You’re the only protector in my heart!"

"I didn't get to apologize for making you bleed. I'm sorry!"

They let go and I looked at all their faces, including Yongguk and Daehyun. They looked really tired. "What happened to you guys?" I asked. "You look all beat up."

"We couldn't recharge without someone pressing our button," Zelo confessed.

"But can't you press each other's?"

"Robots can't recharge other robots," Youngjae explained.

"No one we went up to had your spark. When we mentioned robots, they all looked at us like we were crazy," said Jongup.

"And all the girls started giggling and whispering when we walked up to them. They were really weird," Zelo continued.

It's because you're all hot-looking aliens. I shook my head. I felt bad for the aliens so I helped them recharged before they die of low battery. It was the least I could do before they wipe my memories away. "Let's go to your rooms." I walked upstairs and lead them into an empty room.

"Yongguk, Himchan and Zelo can sleep in here." Since there was no bed in there, I took out a thick blanket for them to sleep on.

"What are you doing?" Himchan asked.

"There's no mattress, so I'm taking out a blanket for you to sleep on the floor," I explained.

"Aww, little Hye Mi wants us to me to be comfortable," he swooned. "Sorry to ruin your fun, but we don't need to lie on the floor. We can stand up while we recharge."

"What?" I stopped laying down the blanket. "You sleep standing up?" "Recharge," he corrected me.

"Oh." I kicked the blanket out of the way and scratched my head. "Then, get into position?"

Zelo laughed, "'Position. You're cute, Noona. Me first!" He stood in the corner and saluted. "Ready for a recharge ma’am." I giggled and stood on my toes to reach for the button behind his neck. I didn't notice his height before I pushed the button. I think giving him the position as the maknae didn't fit him as well because of his towering height. When I reached for his button, our faces got close enough that he ducked down and pecked my nose. "Goodnight, Noona."

Shocked, I immediately pressed his button before I could say anything.  A whirring sound came from him and his eyes closed, his head going limp.

"W-who's next?" I tried to hide my shock. I was glad the others didn't see it because knowing them, they would've thrown a fit. Especially Himchan. "Me!" Himchan ran to his side of the room. I walked over to him and my hand reached for his button, careful not to get too close to his face but that didn’t work, since he gave me a big but soft hug.

"'Night Hye Mi," he smiled.

"G-goodnight." He let go and I pressed his button. His eyes closed for the night. I fanned myself with my hand. It was getting hot in there. I turned around to Yongguk, trying to hide my flushed face. "You sure you can recharge the others without me?" Yongguk asked.

My head turned and looked at the remaining three. The playful Jongup, the smart Youngjae and the cold Daehyun. Thank goodness I left the close to normal ones last.

I gave him an OK sign. "Yup, no problem."

He walked to his preferred side of the room. "When you wake us up, press the button again. Oh and by the way, we can't recharge for more than 15 hours. More than that...we'll really shut down," he warned.

I nodded, "Don't worry. I won't forget you." He nodded back and I pressed his button. Once he closed his eyes, I turned around to the other three. "Let's go to your room." We walked out the room and I closed the door behind us. I opened the door to the other spare room and I didn't bother laying out a blanket. Instead, Jongup walked over to his spot in the room. "Ready!" he said.

Giggling, I walked over to him. "Goodnight, Jongup."

"Night!" he waved. I pushed his button and he shut down.

"Right here, Hye Mi." Youngjae called from a corner. I walked over to Youngjae and stretched my arm out to push his button, but he stretched his to me. I stared at his hand, confused but he shook it to signal me that he wanted me to shake his hand. I grabbed his hand and he brought it to his lips. "Goodnight Hye Mi," he winked and let go. I blushed. "Night." I pushed his button.

When I was done with Youngjae, I turned around to see Daehyun staring at me. I thought he was waiting for me to recharge him so I walked over and stretched my arm out to the back his neck but he caught my arm.

"What-" I looked at his face. It was full of guilt. "What's wrong?" I asked.

He looked away but he didn't let go of my arm. "I'm sorry that I broke your door," he mumbled. "And when I said you were a weak girl. You're not weak at all. From all the girls I've seen today..." he looked in my eyes, "you're the strongest."

I knew his words were sincere from the way he said it. I immediately forgave, "Thanks Daehyun. Don't worry about the door. I was exaggerating anyways. You didn't break the door, you broke the doorknob. That's easy to replace and I'll pay for it somehow. Goodnight Daehyun."

He let go of my arm. "Goodnight...Hye Mi." I pushed the last button of the day.