Equation 9

Less Than Three

Equation9

 

Jonghyun's P.O.V

 

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Hell. It hurt. Why the hell did it hurt so much?

Jonghyun groaned as he turned over in his bed to reach the screeching alarm clock at his bedside table, and smack it shut. He let his right arm slump down the bedside, his fingers barely touching the floor as he drowned his face into his pillow with a loud unpleasant sigh.

“Aren’t you up yet?” Jonghyun leaped by the sudden voice approaching his room. At first he hadn’t even recognized it but looking up and towards the door, he realized that the sweet caring voice belonged to Key, who now was standing in his doorway with a glass of water in his hand.

Jonghyun grunted in response, before tugging his blanket over his head – as if the soft pressure would help against his aching head.

Key sighed and entered the room completely, closing the door behind him, before making his way to the bed where he took a seat beside him.

“Here, this is for you,” the boy offered and handed him the glass of water with one hand, while flipping his other hand open, to show him a couple of painkillers resting in his petite palm.

“How did you know…?” Jonghyun’s voice trailed off thoughtfully, as he took the glass and painkillers from Key.

“You just seemed rather wasted yesterday,” Key answered off handed and with a shrug.

“Yesterday…” Jonghyun trailed off once again and forced the pills down his dry throat while emptying the glass.

“Huh? Don’t tell me, that you don’t even remember what happened after all this,” Key gasped and covered his mouth.

Jonghyun frowned. What was the boy talking about? What happened anyways? He had gone to the bar to get a drink or two – he don’t recall how many he actually got – but what happened afterwards? He arrived home late evening and… Key was there, wasn’t he?

“What are you talking about?” He finally questioned and shifted uncomfortable as he wrapped the blanket better around his numb body.   

“If you don’t even remember, then never mind it,” Key sighed and shook his head hopelessly, before standing up and getting ready to leave.

“No, wait!” Jonghyun barked up and grabbed onto his wrist, as he stumbled onto his legs, scrunching his face afterwards by the quick movement, which his head wasn’t ready for just yet. “You—you said you would help me, didn’t you?”

“Oh, so you do actually remember?” Key asked, while he turned around and crocked an eyebrow at him.

“I wasn’t sure if it was a dream,” Jonghyun admitted and looked at him with hopefully, but still tired, eyes. “So you’re really going to help me?”

Key sighed and crossed his arms – were they really going to go through all this again? “It wasn’t like I just could have said no, when you literally threw all your pride onto the floor just in front of me.”

Jonghyun breathed out loud in frustration and took a seat onto his bed again, face palming himself.

Between his fingers he was sure he saw Key smirking at him. The smirk quickly disappeared, though, when Jonghyun lifted his again and asked: “How comes you still were up by the way? Were you waiting for me or anything?”

He watched with satisfaction as the younger’s mouth went open, and closed again, before opening a second time and answering: “Of course I wasn’t waiting for you! But you were so loud that you woke me up and made me stand up to check what was happening.”

Jonghyun laughed to himself, when Key went for the door and left with a defeated rage.  

“Do you smell that?” Key questioned one afternoon when they was sitting by Jonghyun’s desk and studying some math tasks, which Jonghyun had due to the next day.

“No, smell what? I don’t smell anything,” Jonghyun lied. Truth was, however, that the only thing he had been able to smell for the last 15 minutes, was the scent of Kibum’s sweet cologne, as they would lean in over the desk together, to get a better look into the shared text book.

Key stood up and left the room, and as the obliging puppy he was told to be, Jonghyun followed after him in curiosity.

Entering the kitchen, Jonghyun dropped his jaw and stepped away from Key’s side as he raised his voice at the two boys: “What. Is. Going. On?”

Taemin and Onew looked at each other dumbfounded. Food was spread all over the kitchen, not only the counter, but also the floor. Something, which might have had been chicken once, was laying in ruins on the frying pan, and the rice – oh god, the rice.

“Um, we were just thinking that since you were helping Jonghyun with math, we wanted to make dinner,” Onew explained and looked around the shattered kitchen.

“And exactly how do you guys think it went?” Key asked; his arms once again crossed.

“I guess it could have gone better,” Taemin mumbled and eyed Onew.

Key sighed and went over to Jonghyun, grabbing onto his .

“Yah! W—What are you doing?” He yelped surprised. Before he knew of it, his wallet was fished out of his back pocket of his jeans and tossed through the kitchen towards Onew and Taemin.

“You guys! Clean this up and order something, Jonghyun is paying,” Key stated and turned around, in a motion to leave.

Jonghyun’s jaw was still dropped as his eyes followed Key’s movements. Key turned his head and looked at him over his shoulder to glare at him. “What are you looking at Jonghyun? Are you coming or what?”

 

Written by Legende