Equation 7

Less Than Three

 

Equation7

 

Jonghyuns P.O.V

 

Onew leaned against the doorframe, arms crossed, as he looked at the younger boy slacking around in his room, searching for all the things he needed for school and which magically had ended up spread all over his room, in the few days they had been living in the dorm.

“Jonghyun, you’re aware of that fact that we’re running awfully late, right?” He questioned.

“Right, I’m aware, thank you Onew,” Jonghyun replied dryly and let an unpleasant sigh leave his mouth.

He had definitely regretted that he didn’t get to bed earlier last evening, as he already now, felt his head throbbing due to lack of sleep.

Jonghyun let a hand comb through his hair and turned to look at Onew. Taking a quick decision he then asked: “Can’t you just leave by you own? I will come later… maybe.” 

“Wow, skipping class Jonghyun? Are you okay?” If not Jonghyun already was looking at Onew’s sincerely worried facial expression, he would never have known if the other actually had meant what he asked, of if he just was being sarcastic towards him.

“I don’t know,” he answered and shrugged slightly, before putting his hands into his pant pockets. “I guess I am just freaking a little bit out.”

“Seriously, still about the math?” Onew kept on, this time frowning a bit. “What is the big deal?”

“My dad is forcing me to change to the business department if I fail math as much as one more time,” Jonghyun explained.  

“What? No way? Can he do that?” Onew inquired, and both boys took place in Jonghyun’s bed – school temporarily forgotten. 

“Hell yes he can, he has even been talking with the principal about it and all,” Jonghyun answered, sighing a second time.

“I won’t let that happen!” Onew assured. “Why don’t you tell it to Key? Maybe he will finally understand, and agree to help you?”

“No, I can’t! Didn’t you see him this morning? He was definitely annoyed by me; he will think that I am desperate!”

“But you are desperate, aren’t you?”

“That’s not the point here. I just can’t ask him again – he will flip my around,” Jonghyun commented, pouted and then added: “Besides, you even told me this morning yourself, that I should wait for him.”

“That was just something I said. I didn’t know it was so seriously!”

Jonghyun sighed – third time that morning – and stood up again, grabbing his unfinished packed bag, motioning towards the door.

“Where are you going now?” Onew questioned, as he followed him with his eyes.

“To the music room – as long as I still am able to it,” Jonghyun stated, the last sentence ending out in a mumble.

“Do you want me to come with you?” The elder asked in a tone that made it clear, that it was okay if Jonghyun rejected his offer.

“No, I think I just need to be a bit alone, thank you hyung. You can just head to class if you still want to,” he answered.

“Okay, have fun then,” Onew finished and all Jonghyun did was grunt in reply as he left his room and dorm.

Onew was a really good friend – had been it for years – and Jonghyun always appreciated their moment together. Even though the elder often appeared clumsy and strange, he was also a very good hyung, who was able to give the Jonghyun support and care when he needed it the most.

Arriving to the music room, Jonghyun was eased to discover that no one was there.

The sun was standing high in the heaven, shining in through the column of windows which was occupying the wall across the entrance.

Jonghyun took in the beautiful scene of the sunrays that was playing with the room’s contrast, almost giving it an old-fashioned and cozy feeling.

Waltzing over to a table near the black piano, which is the center of the room, Jonghyun drops his bag onto the floor and takes a seat, before finding his work sheets – and math book, which he intently had taken with him, for a reason even he didn’t knew about.

Without any other hesitations, He quickly starts running through the same lyric he had been working so passionately on the last couple of days.

He was having fun – not such a fun you usually have with your friends – but he was still having fun, nonetheless, in his own strange way.

Truth was that, even though he was quite popular among the school’s students, especially the girls, he never seemed to cling with them. And even though he made sure to look good every day, girls didn’t even interest him. 

He soon found himself sitting in front of the piano, yawning a bit to himself as he tried to focus on the right keys that fitted the lyric, but his eyes kept going to the math book, laying there on the table and teasing him – annoying the hell out of him.

It didn’t feel right to be sitting and working on a masterpiece when he knew that he finally would get nothing out of it, if he was to fail the next test they would get in math class.

Moving away from the piano again, he settled down in front of the god forsaken book and opened it.

He really got nothing out of it as he flipped through the pages, and at least tried to – desperately tried to – understand just a bit, even the tiniest.

Minutes or hours could have went like that, Jonghyun didn’t know, but he eventually decided to give up once again and just sit and stare out of one of the windows instead of.

People were living their own life outside. Some was simply walking from one department to another, while others was enjoying the great weather, standing or sitting in small groups chitchatting with each other over the latest homework, which was long forgotten.

Jonghyun almost felt invisible when watching them. Like a magic spell was casted over the music room’s four secure walls.

Lastly, the throbbing head and cozy room brought over with him, and he actually fell asleep. Arms crossed over the table and with his head resting against them, the day slowly, but firmly, passed like that. 

 

Written by Legende