Equation 13

Less Than Three

Equation13

 

Jonghyun's P.O.V

 

"So what do you think?" Jonghyun heard himself question a third time that evening, only thing different this time was that they now was seated, and that the food just had been served.

"You are aware of that it already is the third time you ask me that question, aren't you?" Key asked wondering and raised an eyebrow.

"Uh, it is? Seriously?" Jonghyun was surprised, dumbfounded, and he nervously rubbed his sweaty palms off on his thighs under the table.

Ever since Key almost had rejected his dinner invitation, Jonghyun couldn't help to feel this odd sensation in his chest every time he would look at the younger boy, and his words from earlier would eventually repeat in his head.

He was more important than Key’s other appointment – Key cancelled his other appointment to spend time with him tonight, on a fancy looking restaurant which maybe was a little bit to tender for two guys who was supposed to be celebrating.

He couldn’t help the pleased feeling that overwhelmed his body by the thoughts.

“Jonghyun?” He snapped out of it as Key spoke his name. “Were you even listening to a single word I just said?”

Key had a hilarious facial expression written all over his features, when Jonghyun slightly opened and closed his mouth, as he admitted defeated. He should seriously stop making a fool out of himself before Key would get a wrong impression of him.

“Um, sorry about that, what was you saying?” Jonghyun asked and picked his fork up to dig into the food in front of him. 

“Never mind it, you’re acting strange – I mean stranger than usual – are you okay?” Key questioned before taking a mouthful of his own food.

“I’m okay, just a little bit ne—” Jonghyun pursed his lips a little bit when he cut himself off to watch Key sink and leap his tongue out of his mouth, to around his plum lips.

What the hell was wrong with him? Was he just about to say he was nervous? Why would he be nervous? And why would he be creeping at the younger while he was eating?

“A little bit what?” Key questioned and tilted his head as he began guessing. “Ne—? Neglected? Needy? Nervous?”

“What? No, was that really the best suggestions you could come up with? Don’t be ridiculous Key,” Jonghyun stated and laughed it off dryly.

“You seem quite tense however,” Key kept on, eyeing him with a suspicious stare.

“I’m not, it’s just that...” Jonghyun trailed off and dropped his fork onto the table again, so he properly could lean over the table and towards Key.

“J—Jonghyun what are you doing?” Key’s eyes flickered as he got closer to him. Jonghyun lifted his arm from the table and reached out for his face, whipping his thumb across his lips.

As he leaned back into his chair again, it was with his usually good-humoredly smile playing around his lips. “You had some sauce stuck, that is.”

“What the heck Jonghyun, you—you almost gave me a heart-attack,” Key declared, sounding breathlessly when he hurriedly started to eat again, to cover up for the flustered face.

Jonghyun smiled satisfied and started eating as well. “Why? Was you expecting something else?”

“You wish, don’t you?” Key groaned, seeming a little bit annoyed – but then again, not really. “But I have to say that this dinner seems more and more like a date if you ask me.”

“Do you mind?” Jonghyun found himself asking. Not really attending to, but ended up doing it anyways.

“What?” Key abruptly looked up from his food with surprise written all over his face. 

“I—I mean, I was just wondering since we both are guys, I mean, not us in particular you know, but—do you mind two guys going on a date with each other, together?” Jonghyun rambled and did all for not giving up on himself and hide his face in his hands there and now.

“Oh, you mean just like that?” Key asked nonchalant as was it the most common thing in their country. “No, I don’t mind. W—Why do you?”

“No not at all,” Jonghyun answered before clearing his throat and going back to eating.

“This taste quite good,” Key suddenly assumed, changing the subject as he pointed towards his food.

“I know right? I love coming here. The restaurant may be very extraordinary, but the food here is really great,” Jonghyun answered with a smile, which Key quickly verified with a smile equally to his own.

“Hey Key?”

“Huh? What?” Key asked and looked perplexed at Jonghyun.

“Which kind of appointment was you having tonight anyways?” He asked curious. Which appointment did he had to cancel to go out with him tonight? Was it important? If it was, then how important was Jonghyun for him?

They were friends, right? – Of course they were, or else Key wouldn’t had agreed on the dinner invitation in the first place but... why was did Jonghyun use so much time thinking about it in the first place?

“Oh, it was nothing important, don’t worry about it,” Key stated and waved it off with a hand.

“Oh,” Jonghyun uttered, feeling a bit disappointed by the younger’s answer.

When they eventually had finished eating and shared a tons of words in between each mouthful, Jonghyun’s look went to the piano in the corner of the room. He gestured towards it and asked: “Do you mind?”

Key’s eyes travelled to the piano. The original player was taking a break. “Do you play?”

“Um, a little,” Jonghyun replied, not wanting to flatter himself.

“Go ahead then, I would love to hear,” Key said and folded his arms over the table.

Jonghyun smiled and stood up to go to the piano. Setting in front of the piano Jonghyun quickly went through the songs, trying to find something that would fit the mood. As he couldn’t find one however, he chose just to pick one from his head, which he knew by heart.

The song ended out being a chaste ballad that Jonghyun had used a lot of time practicing on – and to be honest; he had written it himself.

As he played he couldn’t help himself peeking at Key from time to time to see his reaction. The boy was looking at him in awe – eyes almost shining if it stood to Jonghyun – and with a big smile tugging at his lips.

Jonghyun couldn’t help smiling himself.

A question had slowly formed itself inside his head.

Was he falling for Key?

 

Written by Legende