Equation 38

Less Than Three

 

Equation38

 

Key's P.O.V

 

“Home is people. Not a place. If you go back there after the people are gone, then all you can see is what is not there anymore.” 

- Robin Hobb, Fool's Fate

 

To Key, who had never really had a real home, his grandmother had slowly throughout the years turned into his home. She was the one, who had always been there to hold his hand, when he was scared of the dark as a child. She was the one, who would scold him, when he skipped school to go to a dance practice instead. She was the one to make him smile, when he couldn't find the reason anymore.

She had just always been there; therefore she had slowly turned into an irreplaceable person to him. She was important to him, which was why a small knot was slowly forming in the pit of his stomach, as the car made a turn into his childhood city, because her opinion of his boyfriend was just as important to him as her.

Staring out the window Key got a quick glance of his old school, and he knew that they soon would arrive at his home. His stomach made a somersault, and he took a deep breath.

"Is something wrong?" Key saw Jonghyun glancing over at him from the corner of his eye, before his eyes shifted back to the road once again. His hair was just the right amount of messy, and he was wearing some of his best clothes, but it wasn't enough insurance for Key.

"Please pull over," he breathed heavily, as he clutched the hem of his shirt making his knuckles white. He had never experienced being this nervous before.

“Are you carsick?" Jonghyun asked with a lot of worry in his voice, as he pulled over to the side of the road, before shifting in his seat to face Key, "Do you need to throw up?"

"No," Shaking his head a bit Key looked up to stare into Jonghyun dark brown orbs, which he loved the most in this entire world, "I love you."

"What's wrong?" Jonghyun lifted his hand to trail his finger down Key's cheek, making shivers go through the younger's spine.

"Nothing," Breaking the eye contact Key stared out the windshield onto the road, as he continued to mumble, "It's stupid."

"What is it?" Jonghyun trailed his finger down to Key's chin, turning the younger boy's head back again, so he could stare into his eyes once again. Key's stomach made another somersault - but this time it wasn't from the nervousness of his grandmother.

"I'm just a little worried," he finally admitted, as he bit his lower lip out of habit.

"About what?"

"About introducing you to my grandmother," Key was a bit embarrassed admitting this, as Jonghyun probably was nervous as well. It was Key, who should be the one assuring Jonghyun that it was going to be okay - that his grandmother would love him, and she probably would. She had always loved the same things and persons as Key - but this was his first time bringing that special someone with him home.

"You can't be nervous! That's my job!" Jonghyun whined, distracting Key from his thoughts.

"I'm sorry," it was a mere mumble, but he was sure that the older boy heard him.

"Don't worry," Jonghyun inched closer to the younger, pecking his lips real quick making an army of butterflies invade his stomach, "She'll love me!"

"You're so conceited," Key rolled his eyes, before trailing down his own finger down the older boy's cheek, wondering if he made him feel the same way he did, when he touched him.

"I love you too," Jonghyun said contented, as he kissed Key passionately, before turning around in his seat once again - ready to go to Key's grandmother's house, "now let's go."

"Urgh stop being so eager," The younger complained, leaning back into his seat, as the car started moving again.

 

Within five minutes they reached Key's home, and the nervous knot that had been in his stomach until then disappeared instantly, as he saw the house, and it got replaced with a bubble of happiness.

"Hurry," he rushed Jonghyun, as the brunette was parking the car in front of the small house, "hurry, hurry, hurry."

The house itself looked the same, as it always had done. The white painting on the house was maybe fading a few more places than the last time Key had been visiting, but it was nothing he noticed, as it wasn't as important to him as seeing his grandma once again.

Even though the autumn had started just a few days back the flowers were still coloring the garden and the small path of rocks of stones were still there even though his grandma had been talking about getting them removed by the end of the summer.

"Weren't you supposed to be nervous?" Jonghyun mumbled, as he bit his lower lip from the anxiety of having to get introduced to the second most important person in Key's life. (Of course he was number one.)

"It's going to be alright," Key assured him, as he kissed Jonghyun's cheek, before he left him in the car by himself, as the younger boy almost ran all the way to the front door.

It was first, when Key stood by the front door all by himself that he figured he probably should wait for Jonghyun, if he was to get introduced to his grandma.

Looking back over his shoulder he saw the older boy coming towards him with small steps, as if he was trying to prolong the time, before he had to meet the older lady.

Just as Jonghyun stood by his side, and he was about to open the door himself (since it was his home, he figured there were no reason t knock) the door opened by itself.

"Grandma!" The blonde boy squealed as he threw his arms around the petite older woman, who stood in front of him, "I've missed you!"

Taking in the sweet scent of his grandmother Key hugged her tightly. He had missed her more than he would like to admit, and it felt nice to finally be close to someone he called his family once again.

"I've missed you too Kibummie," She chuckled, as she pulled away from his tight grasp, "let me see you!"

She cupped her hands around his face and she studied all of her features closely, "you lost weight again, didn't you?"

Key was aware that Jonghyun suddenly was studying him with a worried expression behind him, since he didn't want him to lose more weight either, "No I haven't grandma! And even if I have, it would be because of all of my dance practices! My exams are coming up soon!"

"Ah okay," she patted his head a bit, before she turned around to Jonghyun, "You must be the love of my Kibummie's life, Jonghyun right?"

"Yes, I'm Kim Jonghyun - Ke- I mean, Kibum's boyfriend," Jonghyun bowed deeply to her to show his respects towards her, before he stood up with a raised eyebrow to question her, "what do you mean with the love of his life?"

"Oh you should hear how Key talks-"

"Weren't you cooking something grandma?" Key interrupted his grandmother with pink tainted cheeks, as he pushed his grandma inside the house, before he turned around to glare at Jonghyun, "Don't you dare say anything!"

"What are you talking about Kibummie?" Jonghyun joked, as a big smile appeared making everything seem bright around him.

"Shut up," Key mumbled, as he took the older's hand dragging him inside the house.

Just as they got inside, Key's grandmother called from the kitchen: "Jonghyun! When we've finished eating, I'll show you Key's baby pictures!"

 

Written by MapiHyperMonkey