Equation 1

Less Than Three

Equation1

 

Jonghyuns P.O.V.

 

“Are you aware of why, we have asked you to come and talk with us today?” Jonghyun squeezed his hands tighter and looked down into his lap, as he felt two pair of eyes ogling at him, and most likely boring holes into him.

“No,” the answer was short, muffled, and most of all, it was a lie.

A sigh echoed through the room and a rustle of paper was heard, as a folder landed at the desk in front of him. “Mr. Kim I will be honest with you:  your mathematical knowledge is in all prospects as low as a first year high-schooler’s – I mean, look at this…”

Jonghyun watched in silent as his math teacher moved the folder from the table and opened it. “…You have failed every single test, exam, etc.”

He his lips restlessly.

To be honest, he didn’t get why he had been called to the principal’s office in the first place – if it just was to tell him that his math grades , they was wasting his time, it wasn’t like he didn’t knew it already.  

“Jonghyun, I don’t think you understand the situation entirely. If you fail in math as much as one more time, I’m afraid we can’t let you continue staying in the music department,” the other of the two women spoke up.  

“What?!” Jonghyun’s head shoot up by these words and he eyed his principal in awe. “You can’t be serious!”

“I’m being dead serious,” she answered. “It was a clear agreement between the university and your parents: studies before music.”   

Jonghyun cursed on the inside, while he let his left hand go through his hair in frustration.

He should have known this. His likings for math are as big, as his father’s likings for music. He meant it was ‘a waste of time’ and that ‘there is no future in the music industry’.  

Which pretty much is why they made a deal: if Jonghyun was able to keep his grades up, then his father would accept the fact that his son wanted to study music.

The problem however, was that every time Jonghyun decided to open a math book, he would only read the first two sentences, conclude he didn’t understand a , give up, close it again and then throw it somewhere random in his room.

“But—but what do you expect me to do? I am a total fiasco at math!” He admitted defeated.

“Well, first of all, you could start to attend the classes some more,” his math teacher stated dryly. “And then, if math really is THAT hard for you, you could eventually go and get yourself a tutor – a very good tutor,” the last words was stifled but audible. 

Could this woman be any more obvious? Why didn’t she just get it out of her system and tell him, that she hated him.

Just then, he felt a vibration go off inside his pocket and all of a sudden, he wanted nothing else than to leave this place as quick as possible.

“Okay, I get it. Now, can I please leave?” He pleaded with big round eyes – everybody falls for the puppy-eyes.

Another sigh was heard and this time Jonghyun was sure that it came from his math teacher.

“Sure you can Jonghyun, if you believe that you have understood the consequences and are going to work them out,” the principal replied kindly. “Besides, I am sure you have a lot of other things to take care of a day as today.”

“Thank you!” He responded happily and stood up to bow – and leave.  

“That boy is impossible,” he heard his teacher mutter on his way out, and his principal answered: “Don’t’ be so hard on him, it’s only the first day after the vacation after all,” but he chose to ignore it and instead of fish his phone out of his pocket.

He had one unread messenger from Onew, telling him that he should give him a call, as soon as he got time.

And so he did, as he made his way across the campus and towards the new dorm, which was assigned every year. “Hyung, what’s up?”

“Hey Jonghyun, did you finish the meeting? How did it go? I have been at your old dorm to get the boxes you told me to and then placed them in your new room,” the boy at the other end uttered.

Jonghyun opened his mouth and then closed it again. Why did he have to talk so much?

“That’s great, thank you,” he started. “I am in big problems however. Do you know anyone who’s good at math?”

“Hm, math you say?” There was a short silence. “I have heard that Key should be good at math.”

“Key?” He questioned and felt himself frown thoughtfully – Key, he didn’t know any Key, did he?

“What? You don’t even know who Key is?” Onew asked.

“No hyung, I really don’t know who this Key is, should I?” Jonghyun backfired.

 “Well, I don’t know,” – that boy was so strange – “You will get a great option to get to know him however, since he is going to stay in our dorm, so maybe you can persuade him to tutor you?”

“That would be great. Anyways I will just have to make my ways up the stairs and then I will be there,” Jonghyun affirmed and hung up without any other warnings, as he pushed the door open to the dormitory complex.

When he entered the dorm about seventy stair steps later, he was greeted by Onew, who right away presented him for Minho and Taemin, who also was going to stay with them, and who already was in full process to connect some sort of consoler to the television.

They took a break when Jonghyun was about to greet them nonetheless. 

“So this is Choi Minho, who is a sophomore in the sport department,” Onew said and motioned towards a high guy with big prominent eyes.

“And this is Lee Taemin; he is a freshman so take good care of him,” he continued when Jonghyun and Minho had shaken hands.

When Jonghyun had greeted at Taemin as well, the two boys once again continued with their consoler-to-television stuff and Onew lead him to his room, which was just opposite the bathroom.

“Um, where is this Key guy then?” Jonghyun questioned and took a carelessly look around in his room – it seemed bigger than his older one.

“Key?” Onew asked. “He took one look in the refrigerator and then he went for groceries.”

“Oh okay, fair enough.”

“By the way, if you want Key to tutor you there is one thing you should know about him.”

“And that is?”

“He can be a little bit—”

“—WHO HAVE THROWN THEIR SHOES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DOORWAY?”

 

Written by Legende