Chapter 30

I'll Be There

Kwangmin weakly pulled his suitcase towards his car. He’s going to America to visit his brother and to follow you.

 

“Oppa, where are you going?” Suzy shouted as she ran towards Kwangmin.

 

Kwangmin ignored her and put his suitcase into his car. He was about to get into the car when Suzy pulled his arm. He sighed, annoyed.

 

“Oppa…”

 

Kwangmin cut her off. “You told her right?” He tried to calm himself.

 

“What? I didn’t know anything.” Suzy whined and slightly pouted. “What happened?” She asked as if she didn’t know anything.

 

“Stop it, Suzy.”

 

Suzy clucked her tongue. “Ugh, I hate her. Leave her oppa. She doesn’t love you. Be with me, instead. You’ll be a lot happier with me than with her.” Suzy slowly held both Kwangmin’s hands but Kwangmin let go off her hands harshly.

 

“I told you, STOP IT!”

 

Suzy was startled with his loud voice.

 

“What do you want Suzy?! I know you don’t love me! Can you just…” Kwangmin calmed himself down and continued. “Can you just stop this? We’re never getting back together.” Kwangmin quickly get into his car and drove off.

 

“Oppa!” Suzy shouted. She stomped her feet in anger. “Damn! Jo Kwangmin, I will not give up on you. Not until I got all of your fortune. You think I don’t know, do you. Your father left quite a lot to both of you and your brother. And now your brother is dying, all of his fortune will be yours.”

 

Suzy smirked.

 

                                                                                                ***

 

You trembled as you walked to the nurse.

 

“Yes, miss. Can I help you?” The nurse asked. She was worried as she looked at you. Your eyes were puffy and your hair was slightly messy. You combed your hair with your finger.

 

“Is there any patient named Jo Youngmin here?” You asked; hoping that she will say no.

 

“Please wait a minute.” The nurse looked up for his name.

 

You bit your lips and tapped your right foot anxiously. Your eyes wandered but then you saw someone was walking out the hospital. You gulped and rubbed your eyes; trying not to believe what you had seen.

 

“Oppa?” Your voice trembled.

 

Jinki froze. “J-Jieun? What are you doing here?”

 

Tears brimmed in your eyes. “Y-you knew? Since when?”

 

Jinki was silent.

 

“And you didn’t tell me? Am I the only one who‘s being kept in the dark?” Tears started to trickle down your face.

 

Jinki walked towards you and hugged you tight. “I’m sorry, I promised him not to tell you.”

 

You pushed him away. “Him? Kwangmin? He doesn’t have any right to-” You choked.

 

“Don’t blame him, Jieun-ah. He was not at fault.”

 

You shook your head and disagreed. You hate him but your heart was hurting so much trying to deny your feelings.

 

“Where is Youngmin oppa?” You sniffed. Your face was wet with tears.

 

“I’ll take you to him. Promise me you will be strong.” Jinki put his arms around you and lead you to Youngmin’s room. Your steps were heavy; you wished everything was only a dream.

 

Both of you stopped in front of the door. You gulped as you read his name on the door. Onew put his hands on your shoulders and grabbed them tight.

 

“Are you sure you want to see him?”

 

You weakly nodded.

 

“Then, I want you to be strong and try to think positively as you can. Youngmin-“ He gulped and sighed. “He’s been in comma for few days already.” He bit his lips.

 

Your heart broke at your brother’s statement. You wiped away your endless tears. “I’ll…try.” You said emptily. You’re not sure you can accept whatever was happening behind that door.

 

Onew grabbed the doorknob tight and twisted it slowly. Your heart accelerated each second for each step you took. Onew followed you from behind. Your hands grew cold. The tears stopped and you couldn’t hear anything except your heartbeat.

 

THUMP. THUMP. THUMP.

 

Tears welled up in your eyes; you gasped and your cold hands covered your mouth. ‘Is that really him?’ You couldn’t recognize him at all. He was so thin that you could see his bones sticking out. His head was covered with a beanie cap. He looked so fragile. Your heart ached at the sight but you took courage and stepped closer.

 

Your sight was blurry because of the tears and made you felt like everything was only a dream. But your heart was aching so much. You gripped your chest tight but the pain didn’t seem to go away. You could see dark circles underneath his eyes. His breathing sounded unstable. You grabbed his hand and called his name.

 

“Youngmin oppa, it’s me. Jieun. Can you hear me? I know you can.” Tears ran down your cheeks. Your heart was aching so much. “Don’t you want to see me? Wake up. I miss you. Don’t you miss me too?” You choked and put your head on the bed and cried your heart out.

 

Jinki couldn’t hold himself and shed tears too.

 

You heard the door clicked open and glanced at the door with your tears running down your cheeks. Your heart burned with rage as you saw the person entered the room.

 

Kwangmin’s jaws dropped and tears trickled down his cheeks. “Hyung…” he sobbed.

 

You got up and pushed him away. Jinki was startled and quickly grabbed you.

 

“Get away from here, liar!” You shouted. You were crying so hard that your eyes became red. Kwangmin’s heart thumped in pain. It seemed like his nightmare was becoming reality.

 

“Why did you lie to me? Because of you, I lose the precious time I have to be with him! He is dying while I-I-” You choked and struggled to get away from Jinki.

 

“I’m sorry, Jieun…I’m sorry…” was all he could say.

 

“Calm down, Jieun. Kwangmin is not at fault.” Your brother said as he held you but you still struggled to get away from him. You gritted your teeth as your tears ran down your cheeks.

 

Kwangmin stepped away from you and left the room. Jinki loosen his grip and you fell down on your knees. Your heart was hurting so much as you cried.

 

‘I really want to hate you, Jo Kwangmin but I couldn’t. Why my heart is hurting so much? I hate myself for hurting you. Youngmin oppa, please wake up and pull me away from this mess.’

 

 Kwangmin also fell down on his knees and gripped his chest.

 

‘I’m sorry, Jieun. I’m really sorry. What I should do, Hyung? What should I do? Should I just die and give my heart to you?’ He hit his chest; hoping it will lessen his hurting heart.