Chapter 31

I'll Be There

Kwangmin splashed his face with cold water. He looked at his reflection in the mirror and pressed on his puffy eyes with his point finger. He couldn’t sleep after what had happened between both of you and he kept reminded of his brother’s pale face. He gulped and splashed his face again with cold water. He bit his lips and made up his mind.

Kwangmin stepped out the bathroom and made his way to the doctor. He took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

 

“Yes, come in.” he heard the doctor said.

 

He twisted the doorknob and entered the room.

 

“Oh, you are Jo Youngmin’s twin brother, right? Please sit down.”

 

Kwangmin nodded and sat down on the chair.

 

“Is there anything I can help you?”

 

Kwangmin clasped his hands together and tapped his foot.

 

“I-I…umm.” He bit his lips and continued. “Can I donate my heart to hyung?”

 

The doctor’s eyes widened. “Kwangmin-ssi… You are a healthy person and may live for another long time. I don’t think that is possible…”

 

“B-but, if I don’t do it, hyung will die.”

 

“It’s not right to take another person’s life to replace another one’s. Be patient, Kwangmin-ssi. Have faith; there might be a heart donor. We never know.”

 

“We never know, doctor! We never know! If we wait much longer, hyung will die and I-I…I can’t accept that.” He choked and thought of you. He couldn’t imagine his brother dying and you’re grieving.

 

The doctor was silent. He cleared his throat and continued. “I’m sorry; I can’t fulfil your request, Kwangmin-ssi.”

 

“So, if anything happened, will you give my heart to him?”

 

The doctor didn’t answer. Kwangmin lowered his head and tears trickled down his cheeks.  He bowed to the doctor and left the room. He clenched his fist and put his head against the wall.

 

‘Isn’t there anything I can do?’ He clenched his fist tighter.

 

                                                                                                ***

Minwoo entered Youngmin’s room and saw you were sleeping beside his bed as you held Youngmin’s hand tight. He stepped closer towards you. You woke up because you heard footsteps. You weren’t really sleeping; you couldn’t. You glanced to your side.

 

“Minwoo.” Your voice was weak.

 

Minwoo smiled bitterly and waved his hand at you. “Hello, Jieun.” He glanced at Youngmin and gulped.

 

“So, why are you here?” You asked; don’t know what to say.

 

“Just visiting. Where’s…Kwangmin?” he asked.

 

You scoffed. ‘So, I really AM the only one who didn’t know.’

 

“I don’t know.” You answered coldly but deep in your heart, you really want to know where he went after what had happened.

 

Minwoo sighed and lowered his head. “I’m sorry, Jieun. I-I thought it was for the best.”

 

“Was it?” You chuckled bitterly and looked at Youngmin.

 

Minwoo stepped back and left the room; unable to say anything. He sat at the chair in front of Youngmin’s room and sighed deeply.

 

“Minwoo?” Kwangmin called out.

 

“Oh. Hey.”

 

“So, you came.” Kwangmin sat beside him.

 

Minwoo nodded. “What happened?”

 

“A lot. Jieun hates me now that she knows everything. I couldn’t see my brother because she’s there. I don’t want to hurt her anymore, so I avoided her as much as I can.” His voice went weak. He sighed as he played with his fingers.

 

Minwoo lowered his head. “It seems like she is angry at me too. She didn’t show it but I knew she is. Jieun hates people who lied to her the most.” He gulped.

 

“I really don’t know what to do now. Hope is getting far away; it doesn’t seem anyone will donate their heart to hyung. I even volunteered to donate mine but the doctor said I can’t.”

 

“You what?” Minwoo was shocked.

 

“I know it sounds crazy but what else could I do?” Kwangmin chuckled bitterly.

 

“Luckily the doctor said no. Don’t give up on your life. There will be miracle someday.”

 

Kwangmin sighed.

 

                                                                                ***

You fell asleep beside Youngmin’s bed. You felt tired after crying and couldn’t hold it anymore. Kwangmin opened the door slightly and peeked. He slowly entered when he heard your soft snore. He reached out his hand to touch your hair but he stopped.

 

‘I’m sorry, Jieun-ah. I’m really sorry. What should I do, Jieun-ah? What can I do to make things right? What can I do to make you happy again? I’m willing to die if that will make hyung wake up and be with you again, but I couldn’t. Or should I really…try to give away my life? I really love you, Jieun-ah. I really do.’

 

Tears brimmed in his eyes.  He glanced at his brother.

‘Hyung, I’m sorry I hurt her. I’m sorry for falling in love with her. I’m sorry for everything. I know you will take good care of her.’

 

“I love you, Lee Jieun.” Kwangmin leaned and kissed your head. His tears fell down on your cheeks. You stirred and slowly opened your eyes. You touched your wet cheek and looked to your side. But there’s no one there.

 

“Am I dreaming?” You were still touching your cheek. Your heart felt uneasy.

“K-Kwangmin.” You whispered his name to yourself. You really missed him but you were still denying your feelings. You looked at Youngmin and took his hand.

“Oppa, why am I feeling like this?” You sniffed as tears brimmed in your eyes.