Chapter 22

I'll Be There

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Oppa, do you want to do something today? It’s weekend.” You pouted.

 

“What do you want to do today?” Kwangmin asked as he stared at your face.

 

“Hmm…” you closed your eyes, thinking of what you should do.

 

‘I can stare at you for the whole day.’ Kwangmin thought to himself.

 

“I don’t know!” You chuckled.

 

“I am going to make us lunch.”

 

“Hmm…I’m going to clean the house then!” you exclaimed. “It’s so dusty.” You said as you pretended to sneeze. Kwangmin laughed and went to the kitchen to make lunch. You took out a vacuum to clean the living room. Suddenly, someone rang the doorbell. Kwangmin was too engrossed in his cooking so he didn’t bother to open the door. You turned off the vacuum.

 

“Wait a minute.” You shouted and ran to open the door. Your eyes widened when you saw the visitor.

 

“Oppa!” you squealed and hugged him. “I miss you so much.” You continued.

 

That guy put his luggage down and hugged her back. “Me too.” He almost squished her as he hugged her. 

 

 

 

Kwangmin came out from the kitchen, when he heard you were talking to someone in the living room.

 

“Jieun-ah, who is--“ He stopped when he saw him. The cookbook in Kwangmin’s hands fell down. The loud thump on the floor startled both of you. They turned their heads and saw Kwangmin froze, staring hard at both of them. You tilted your head, wondering what made Kwangmin reacted that way.

 

“J-Jinki.” Kwangmin stuttered.

 

Lee Jinki or his nickname, Onew waved his right hand at Kwangmin. “Youngmin-ah.” Onew smiled.

 

‘He didn’t realize who I am yet. I need to explain everything to him before Jieun finds out.’ Kwangmin thought.

 

“Youngmin oppa, are you okay?” You blinked your eyes. Kwangmin slightly nodded.

 

“Jieun-ah, can you go out and buy some ingredients? I’ll write it out.” Kwangmin said to make Jieun go away so that he could talk to Onew before Onew realize who he really was.  

 

You pouted, “But I want to talk with Onew oppa.” Onew chuckled at your statement. 

 

Kwangmin shook his head and faked a laugh. “You can talk to him after this. We also have a lot to catch up with each other, right Jinki?” he raised his brows.

 

Onew smiled, “Right.” Onew realized something was different about Youngmin. ‘His hair?’ Onew thought but he was too far away from Kwangmin to see the differences. He knew more about his friend, Youngmin more than you did. Youngmin was his friend since they were kids. They grew up together and only Onew knew that Youngmin has a twin. Besides, he could differentiate them so easily. Just only a step closer towards Kwangmin, he would know right away that it was not Youngmin.

 

You grabbed the paper that Kwangmin was holding and her wallet. You almost stomped as you walked out to the market. “I’ll be back.” You pouted and closed the door. Both of Kwangmin and Onew chuckled. Onew took his luggage and walked closer to Kwangmin. His smiles fade away as he got closer.

 

 

 

“Kwangmin?” He raised his brows.

 

Kwangmin gulped. “Don’t tell Jieun about this. She doesn’t know anything.”

 

“What? Are you….acting as Youngmin?” Onew glared at Kwangmin.

 

Kwangmin’s heart was pounding really fast. “Cool down, Jinki. Let us sit down first.” 

 

Onew blinked his eyes but sat down anyway. Both of them sat down side by side. Kwangmin clasped his hands together and sighed heavily.

 

“Do you mind telling me what’s going on? Kwangmin-ah?” Onew asked. His voice was stern.

 

‘As expected. He could tell the differences between me and hyung so easily.’ Kwangmin thought before saying anything. “I don’t know where to start.” He sighed again.

 

“How about telling me why the heck are you pretending to be Youngmin?”

 

“That’s because…he asked me to.”

 

“What? Why?”

 

“J-Jinki.” Kwangmin stuttered. “Hyung is in America.”

 

“And?” Onew eagered to know what was happening. He became much more frustrated every second when Kwangmin hesitated to tell the story.

 

“He’s getting his treatment…for heart cancer.”

 

“What?!” Onew exclaimed and stood up from the couch. “Heart cancer?!”

 

“Yes…He’s currently waiting for a donor.” Kwangmin explained.

 

 “I…can’t believe this.” He sat down again on the couch, blinking his eyes in shock. Tears welled up in the corner of his eyes. His best friend is dying. He gulped, trying to digest the fact in his mind. Out of sudden, he grabbed Kwangmin’s collar and glared at Kwangmin.

 

“But, why are you pretending to be Youngmin?? You will hurt my sister if she knew about this, idiot!” Onew shouted in rage. Deep in his heart and mind, he knew it’s not Kwangmin’s fault but he couldn’t control himself.

 

“I also don’t want to do this, Jinki-ah. I’m doing it because it’s hyung’s request…” Kwangmin answered weakly but he didn’t struggle to get Onew’s hands off him. “I don’t want to do this either…But how could I refuse his request? I almost kill him when I said no to his idea. Do you know how much I’ve been going through? Do you think all of these…were easy for me, huh?” Kwangmin sobbed.  

 

Onew slowly let go of his collar and wiped away his own tears. “I’m sorry…” he said weakly. “I need to go to America.”

 

“Not now, Jinki. Jieun miss you so much. If you leave now, she will be sad.”

 

.“But…”

 

“At least, wait until tomorrow. Please.” He begged. 

 

“Alright.” Onew agreed. Kwangmin sighed in relief when Onew agreed to stay.

 

Onew turned his head towards Kwangmin and stared at him. “But you are not in love with her, are you?”

 

Kwangmin was silent. Yes, he loved her and he couldn’t help it. How could he not fell in love with her? Onew understood the meaning of his silence. Onew sighed again. He was speechless because of Youngmin. He thought that Youngmin was being ridiculous. He’s not only hurting himself; he’s hurting everyone around him.

 

‘You’re an idiot.’ Onew thought. ‘What are you thinking, chingu-yah? Do you know how stupid you are? Heart cancer is not something you can survive easily. Even if you find a donor, the possibility of having a successful surgery is....very low. Are you really in your right mind?’

 

Onew glanced at Kwangmin again. ‘He is the one who is in the worst place among us. Carrying that heavy burden on his own; he might lose his own brother. He might lose the girl he loves for his own brother. Everything is… mess up. You should have given a thought about this before doing anything, chingu-yah.’

 

The door suddenly opened. “I’m home!” You shouted cheerily.

 

Kwangmin and Onew forced a smile. “Welcome back home.” Both of them said at the same time.

 

“Youngmin oppa, it’s my turn to talk to Onew oppa now.” You pouted and handed the plastic bags to Kwangmin.

 

 “Of course.” He smiled at you. He took the plastic bags off your hands. You happily took Onew's arms and clung around your brother. Happiness was written clearly on your face. ‘Now I know why hyung doesn’t want to take away her happiness…I can’t imagine how my life will be if I don’t see those smiles on her face.’ Kwangmin clasped his chest. His heart was hurting even he was just imagining your sad face. 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“What? You’re going back tomorrow?” you pouted. “But you just came. We don’t even get to go out together oppa. Can’t you stay a little bit longer?”

 

Onew chuckled and patted your head. “I’m sorry Jieun-ah. I just got a call from the others and they really need me in the team.” He lied. ‘Youngmin is the one who need me on his side.’ He thought in his mind. “I promise I’ll be back as soon as possible.”

 

Kwangmin was silent. He knew where Onew would be heading to.

 

“Hmm…okay. But oppa will have to accompany me tonight! Let’s watch movies and talk about everything! I miss you so much.” You whined.

 

“Of course, Jieun. Anything to make you happy.” Onew smiled half-heartedly. 

 

 

You eventually fell asleep on the couch while watching the movie together with Kwangmin and Onew. Kwangmin who was sitting down in the floor stood up and went upstairs to get a blanket for you. Onew made you lied down on the couch so that you won’t strain your neck. Kwangmin came down from upstairs with blanket in his hands. He carefully placed the blanket over you. Both of them smiled when they heard you softly snore as you always did in your sleep.

 

Onew and Kwangmin locked eyes for seconds. Both of them were thinking of the same thing. They walked to the kitchen so that they could talk with each other.

 

“Do you really have to go tomorrow?” Kwangmin asked. He still felt that Onew should stay longer. He knew you really missed your brother a lot.

 

“I have to.” Onew answered. “We never know what can happen. At least, there is someone to be with him there, Kwangmin-ah.”

 

Kwangmin nodded. “Please take care of him. I…don’t want to lose him, Jinki-yah.”

 

“Nobody wants to lose him.”  

 

Both of them were silent for a short moment but then Onew broke the silence.

 

“What if…Jieun knew about you?”

 

“If she knew? I…will leave. She will hate me. I know she will.” Kwangmin lowered his head. His heart was hurting because of that fact.

 

Onew stepped closer towards Kwangmin and patted his shoulders. He didn’t know what he should say towards Kwangmin. Onew knew Kwangmin would eventually be hurt in the end. You hated liars and in this case, you would blame Kwangmin although it was originally Youngmin’s plan.

 

"I..don't know what to say. I can only hope that your heart will be ready by then..." Onew sighed.

 

"Will my heart ever be ready for it? I'm not sure..." Kwangmin sniffed.

 

Onew continued to pat his shoulders, trying to calm Kwangmin down. ‘What have you got us into, Youngmin-ah.’ He thought silently.

 

 

 

“Take care oppa~ Please be back soon.” Your eyes were filled with tears as you sent your brother at the airport.

 

“I will.” Onew hugged you tightly. “I’m sorry I didn’t stay longer. I really want to but…”

 

“It’s okay, oppa.” You said as you wiped your tears away. You held your brother’s hand tight. “Promise me, you’ll be taking care of yourself and that you’ll be back soon.”

 

“I told you I will.”

 

“I want you to promise me.” You pouted.

 

“I promise.” Onew said. ‘I’m sorry that I also hide the truth from you, Jieun-ah. All I can do is pray that you’ll not hate Kwangmin for this. Please don't blame him. He’s not at fault…It was not Youngmin's fault either. They just wanted you to be happy.' he thought silently.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

Onew arrived in America after long hours of flight. His body felt sore but it didn’t stop him from coming to the hospital to visit Youngmin. It was almost midnight that he went to the hospital and usually the hospital didn’t allow any visitors at this hour. But, Onew had a privilege to visit a patient whenever he wanted to because he’s a doctor.

 

“Yes, sir. Can I help you?” The nurse asked. Her eyes were droopy.

 

“I’m here to visit a patient named, Jo Youngmin.” Onew asked.

 

“I’m sorry sir. No visitors are allowed to visit at this hour.”

 

Onew knew it would be this way. He pulled out his wallet from his pocket and took out his medical license card.

 

“Oh.” is all that the nurse could say. She pulled out a white, big book and scanned through the pages for Youngmin's name. “His room is at the end of the hallway at the 8th floor. His name is written at the door so I don’t think you’ll find any difficulties searching for it.” she smiled. "And, please make sure you don't disturb him. He's currently resting after his treatment."

 

“I understand and thank you.” Onew said and quickly left and made his way to Youngmin’s room. 

 

 

Onew breathed in and out to calm himself down before coming into Youngmin’s room. He twisted the doorknob slowly so that he would not wake him up and entered the room slowly. Onew was so shocked when he saw Youngmin. The luggage that he’s been holding fell down on the floor but the loud thump didn’t wake Youngmin up. Youngmin didn’t even twitch. His eyes went blurry because of the tears b in his eyes.

 

He stepped closer towards Youngmin. Onew put his right hand to his mouth, he gasped at Youngmin’s terrible looks. There were dark circles underneath his eyes; his lips had cracks, probably because they were too dry. He was way thinner than before. The beanie cap that he’s wearing covered his bald head. Onew couldn’t believe it was Youngmin. Tears rolled down his cheeks. It hurts him so much to see his best friend lying down so helplessly. He used to see patients with cancer but it felt different when the one who’s having cancer is someone close to him.

 

‘If Jieun saw this, she will be so heartbroken…’ he thought. He bit his lower lips. He gripped his chest and cried silently. ‘Chingu-yah…please survive this…’

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading^^

Thousands of apologies for the late update. I’ve been immersing myself in Kwangmin’s character but still I couldn’t express his character well enough. Mianhae readers. T-T

New character will be coming. Guess who? It will be revealed in the next chapter. Kekeke^^

Thank you again and promise me you’ll support me until the end, ne? Saranghae readers :D