Chapter 5

I'll Be There

If you see blue word, please click on it. The song might add better effect on the story, I guess? Kekeke^^

*******************************************************************************************************************

 

“Before that, can I ask you some questions?” the doctor said.

Youngmin nodded his head.

The doctor sighed and continued, “Do any of your parents have heart cancer?” 

“Yes….my late father died because of heart cancer. Wait, are you saying I….have cancer?” Youngmin clenched his fist. His heart beats faster.

“I’m sorry to say this but yes, you have heart cancer.”

“No, this can’t be… I am dying.”

“It’s not too late, Mr Youngmin. You still have the chance to live but apparently you need a heart donor. But…to have a heart transplant is too difficult. It is not easy to find someone who would donate their heart. And if you keep waiting, your condition will worsen and you will have trouble breathing and new symptoms will show up. There are no facilities to support your health problem. Well, at least there's none in Korea but you can go to America because they have better facilities for you. You should fly to America soon before it becomes worse.” the doctor advised. He closed the file that contains Youngmin's health report.

“I don’t know…This is just…too much for me.” He stared at the floor, clenching his fist. Trying to stop himself from crying.

“Have some hope, Mr Youngmin." the doctor encouraged. "Apparently, you inherited this disease from your late father. It must be genetic.”

“How about my twin brother? Would he get it too?”

“I don't think so. It is either you or him who might inherit this disease and since you have it....he will not inherit this disease.”

"That’s good. He doesn’t have to suffer like me.”

“Have some faith, Mr Youngmin.”

”Faith can’t save me.” his voice croaked and tears rolled down his cheeks. The doctor was silent.

Youngmin left the doctor’s room and walked to his own room in the hospital. He sat down on his bed and clenched his fist.

 “What am I going to tell to Jieun. She will be heartbroken. No, no I can’t tell her. There must be a way.”

Because of you, Youngmin finally have some faith. ‘I have to survive this. I can’t leave her. I’ll go to America if it was for the best and wait for a donor but--what if I didn't manage to find one? What if I’m not able to...survive?’ He cupped his face and sobbed. He tried to be optimistic but he couldn't. 

Suddenly, someone opened the door. Youngmin quickly wiped his tears away.

 

“Youngmin-ah~ I’m here. What did the doctor said?” You asked and stared at him intensely, hoping that Youngmin will be giving you good news. 

"He told me that... " Youngmin paused. You gulped at his sudden pause. "What?" You asked.

"The doctor said I'm okay and I can go home now!" Youngmin lied and smiled like nothing has happened.

“Really? Woa! I’m so gladdd!” You beamed.

“But...." Youngmin continued.

"But what?" Your smile disappeared after you heard that.

"But I still have to rest before I can go to work again." Youngmin continued to lie. He just can' tell you the truth. His heart is aching but it was for the best. He is willing to endure everything alone as long you lived happily.

You sighed in relief. "Of course you do. I thought you're gonna say some bad news. Tsk. When are you going out from the hospital?"

"Soon?" He teased you again, so that you will not suspect a thing. And you fell for it. 

"Hey, I'm serious." You slapped his shoulder playfully.

"Ouch, how can you hit a patient?" Youngmin teased you again.

"Tch. Yea right." You pouted again but slowly, you his shoulder. "Does it hurt?" You said playfully.

"No, it doesn't." Youngmin smiled at you. 'But, it does. Here, in my heart.'  He thought to himself. He gazed into your brown eyes and scrutinized every features of your face before he leave. He wanted to remember every single thing about you because it was the only thing--that could make him felt alive and gave him the strength when he fought with his disease.

 

All alone by himself.

 

You tilted your head as Youngmin gazed into your eyes. You were slightly embarrassed because he kept looking at you.

"Ya~" you said sweetly and Youngmin chuckled. He finally looked away and took your hand. He put your hands between his hands and held it tight.

'I'm sorry, Jieun-ah~' Youngmin thought sadly. He will have to leave you soon and he might not even come back.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another chapter coming soon~

Thank you for reading. ^^

Please subscribe and comment. 

Spread the love <3