Chapter 17

I'll Be There

Youngmin slowly opened his eyelids. His body felt worn out after he was given medication about 8 hours ago. The pain was agonizing and he felt like it was killing him. The moment of pain passed slowly as it tortured him. He panted as the pains gradually fade away. He blinked hard and turned his head to his right side as the sunlight shone through the window. He weakly curved his lips into a smile and greeted the day.

 

‘It’s already New Year. I never thought I get to hold on for this long.’ He used both of his elbows to support himself to get up. He sat and leaned against the pillow. It was the only movement he could do by himself. He couldn’t get up with the energy left in him and he had to depend on the nurses and the wheelchair to move around. His left hand felt tingly, he still couldn’t get used to the needles. He corrected his beanie cap that covered his bald head. His hair had fallen out because of the treatment. He stared at the clear, blue sky outside his window. He could barely see any clouds.

 

‘How are you, Jieun-ah? You’re doing fine right?’ he thought. He knew his brother was taking care of you so he didn’t have to worry. ‘If I survived this, I’ll be coming back for you.’ He smiled at the thought and then frowned. He thought about his brother. There was no way his brother would not fall in love after staying with you for a long time. He sighed, ‘If both of you were in love with each other, then I would probably let you two stay together.’ He felt it was pointless if he survived if by then you were together with Kwangmin instead. But what he could do, he wanted this himself. He didn’t want you to be worried. He could imagine you crying all the time, seeing him fighting against this disease if you knew about this secret.  He didn’t want you to be too heartbroken if he left the world. At least if Kwangmin was with you, he could mend your heart.

 

‘Aish, I don’t know what I am thinking either…’ he scowled.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Oppa! Happy new year!” You said as you jumped around Kwangmin.

 

“Happy new year.” he chuckled.

 

“Let’s have a New Year Celebration and invites everybody. Oppa, you will cook!” You suggested. You were obviously enthusiastic about the celebration.

 

Kwangmin raised his left eyebrow. “Why do I have to?” he said sarcastically.

 

“Cause, oppa cooks better than me” you rolled your eyes. “Please~?” you pleaded.

 

“Okay, okay.” Kwangmin patted your head. “But, then we have to buy the ingredients.”

 

“Leave it to me. I’ll buy it. Later.” You winked.

 

“So, what time will the party are held?” Kwangmin tilted his head.

 

“This evening!” you shouted from the kitchen. “Oppa, let’s have our breakfast first. What do you want?”

 

Kwangmin chuckled and walked to the kitchen. He could see you were pouting as you put your point finger on your chin, staring at the fridge. He shook his head and went behind you, putting his head on your shoulder. He held out his hand and pulled out a bottle of milk.

 

“There’s no need to worry about it too much.” He grinned and kissed your cheek. You blinked your eyes and blushed.

 

“Oppa! You’re a bad person.” You shouted and wrapped your arms around his neck from behind.

 

“Why is kissing my girlfriend made me being called a bad person?” he chuckled.

 

“Because you did it without my permission.” You grinned. Kwangmin unwrapped your arms around his neck and turned his body to face you.

 

“I’m sorry Jieun-ssi. I’ll ask you first before I kiss you next time.” He said as he stared into your eyes. You smiled sheepishly and leaned closer to Kwangmin. You were about to kiss him and suddenly your cellphone rang. You were startled by it and almost tripped over your own feet. Luckily, Kwangmin grabbed you by the waist on time. Both of you were staring at each other and Kwangmin grinned.

 

“That’s what you get for trying to kiss me without my permission.” He said jokingly and pulled you up so that you stood up on your own feet. Your cheeks were bright red as you answered the call.

 

“Hello?” you answered as you looked at Kwangmin who was laughing, enjoying the situation.

 

“Happy new year!” Jiyeon shouted over the phone. You pulled away from your cellphone because of Jiyeon’s loud voice.

 

“Happy new year, Jiyeon-ah. Hey, I was about to call you.”

 

“Wae?”

 

“There’s a new year celebration this evening. At 6. You better come or I’ll haunt you to death.” You threatened her with a playful voice.

 

Jiyeon laughed. “Yes, of course I’ll be coming. See you around then. Bye.”

 

“What? Is that all you were going to say?”

 

“I called you to wish Happy New Year to you. That’s all. Wae?”

 

You mumbled in frustration. ‘If that was the only reason she called, why didn’t she called later? The kiss…”

 

“What are you guys doing that made you become this cranky when I called you? Am I disturbing or what?” she said in a sarcastic manner and laughed.

 

“What?” You blushed again. “We’re not doing anything!” you denied.

 

“Oh Jieun, you are such not a good liar. I’ll see you later then.” She laughed over the phone and hung up.

 

 “Aish.” You mumbled in frustration and glared on the phone. Your cheeks were still bright red because of Jiyeon’s comment.

 

“Hey, stop mumbling and have your breakfast.” Kwangmin chuckled. You grabbed the chair and sat down.

 

“So, what are our plans for today?” Kwangmin asked.

 

“First, we’ll be cleaning the house. Next, we need to buy the groceries and cook. Umm…That’s all!”

 

“You’re not inviting anyone else besides Jiyeon?”

 

“Umm… Donghyun oppa, Jeongmin, Sunmi, umm…who else?”

 

“I’ll invite Mr. Shim. He’s pretty lonely since he just came to Korea.” Kwangmin lied.

 

“Umm, okay.” You said as you munched your cereal.

 

After finishing their breakfast, Kwangmin called Donghyun to invite both Donghyun and Hyunseong while you invited Jeongmin and Sunmi. Sunmi politely declined because she had plans with her family. 

 

“I will come as long as there is no mushy, cheesy, sticky short love story in your house. If you get what I meant.” Jeongmin teased.

 

“Ya, Lee Jeongmin!” you shouted over the phone. You managed to hear Jeongmin burst out laughing before he hung up.

 

“Aish, this kid.“ You mumbled again. You didn’t know Kwangmin were standing behind you and when you turned around, you almost bumped to his chest.

 

“Clumsy aren’t you?” Kwangmin chuckled and slowly walked away and grabbed a table cloth and started to wipe the kitchen counters. You scoffed and stuck your tongue out. You stomped your feet as you walked out the kitchen to clean the living room. Kwangmin shook his head and laughed at your behaviours.

 

“Oppa, I’m going to the market first!” You shouted from the front door. Kwangmin rushed down the stairs and waved at you.

 

“Yes, see you later.”

 

“You better finished decorating it nicely by the time I’m home.” You said and closed the door.

 

Kwangmin smiled sheepishly. He’s been laughing a lot lately because of you. He could hardly believe it himself. He had always been serious all the time. He shook his head and smiled. He scoffed at the thought of how love could change someone.

 

 

 

You finally reached the market after 30 minutes walking there. You didn't drive because you thought it was not that far from your house. You pulled out a small piece of paper from your jacket and diligently searched for the ingredients written on the paper. You smiled at Youngmin’s childish drawings of vegetables and fruits beside each word.

 

After you finished buying all the ingredients, you were having trouble bringing the plastic bags. A lot of people in the market too and that made it more difficult to walk through the crowded people while bringing the heavy plastic bags. You sighed for the umpteenth time as you passed through them. You finally escaped from the crowds. You stopped your steps and placed the plastic bags on the ground while dabbing your face using a handkerchief, wiping off the sweat.  You regretted that you didn’t come with your car instead. The groceries were so heavy.

 

You picked the plastic bags off the ground and started to walk home. Unfortunately, one of the plastic bags burst and the oranges started to roll on the road and some of it rolled down the drain. You gently placed the other plastic bags on the ground and sighed. You bent down and started picking up the oranges, saving the ones that didn’t fell into the drain. Suddenly, someone held out his hands and helped you picked them up and put them into a new plastic bag. You were really embarrassed.

 

“Thank you.” you said as you stood up. You blinked your eyes at the sight of the person in front of you. He smiled childishly as he held out the plastic bag containing the oranges.

 

“Minwoo…” you muttered and took the plastic bag off his hand.

 

“Shopping for new year?” he raised his eyebrow.

 

“Yes… We’re having a party.” You blurted out.

 

“Why didn’t Youngmin hyung accompany you? That's look heavy.”

 

“He’s busy decorating the house.” 

 

He nodded his head twice and stared at the ground. He lifted his head again and looked straight to your face. “Happy New Year by the way.”

“H-happy new year to you too. Umm, do you want to join the party too?” You hesitated.

“Youngmin hyung will not like it if I’m around. Hmm…I can’t come but I can help you with those.” He eyed the plastic bags. You laughed and sighed in relief.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Kwangmin was resting on his back on the couch after he finished decorating the house. He was out of breath after blowing those balloons and hanging them on the wall. He glanced at the wall clock. ‘It’s 4.30PM already. Where is she? We will not finish preparing the food if she’s coming home late.” He sat up when he heard voices from outside. “That must be her.” He peeked through the window and he could see you walking side by side with Minwoo. He clenched his fist.

 

“Ya! I never did that!” you said as you laughed loudly.

 

“Yea, you did! I remembered you were with Jiyeon at that time.” Minwoo laughed along.

 

“Yea, yea whatever.” You pouted, “If that you were sa—“ You were about to continue your conversation but you stopped when you saw Youngmin standing in front of the door, glaring hard at your direction. You gulped and Minwoo sighed as both of you walked slowly towards the house. 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading ^^

What will happen in the next chapter? Kwangmin seems to be really jealous of them right now. Kekeke^^

Always looking forward for comments :D