Chapter 33

I'll Be There

Suzy sat on the floor and wrapped her knees with her arms. She drank another tin of beer as she trembled. ‘I should have hit her. Why did Kwangmin came out of nowhere?’ She bit her lips in anger. Her phone ringed. Her hands trembled as she reached out to pick up her phone. She stared at the screen and gulped. It was the loan sharks. She threw her phone away; she knew she couldn’t get away from them.

 

‘What should I do? What should I do?’ she mumbled to herself. She was startled by the sudden bell sound.

 

Suzy trembled in fear and put her head between her knees and her arms wrapped around her knees tightly.

 

‘No. Don’t come near me.’

 

Then, the people started banging the door.

 

“Bae Suzy. We knew you’re in there. Open the door.” The loud knocking continued. Suzy shook her head and sobbed. Then, the door was smashed open and the police started rushing into the house. One of them took Suzy’s hands and handcuffed her hands.

 

Suzy struggled and tried to escape. She was not afraid of the police; she was afraid of the loan sharks.

 

“Go away!” She pushed them but they held her tight.

 

“I’m placing you under arrest for hit-and-run. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.” The police said as he dragged Suzy out of the house.                             

 

                                                                                                ***

 

One week later…

 

You knelt down and placed the flower bouquet on the grave. You put your hands together and muttered a silent prayer.

 

‘Thank you for everything. Thank you.’ Tears trickled down your cheeks. Jinki patted your shoulders.

 

“Let’s go, Jieun-ah. He’s waiting.”

 

You nodded and stood up. You took his arms and left the cemetery. You looked back and smiled as you wiped your tears.

 

                                                                                                ***

“Youngmin oppa, we’re here!” You said as you opened the door.

 

Youngmin smiled and sat up. “Jieun-ah. Jinki.” He looked better than before. There were no longer dark circles under his eyes and he didn’t look as pale as before. You reached out your hand and he took it.

 

“What are you doing?” You asked.

 

Youngmin smiled. “Nothing. I’m just reading this.” He held up the letter and smiled bitterly.

 

“Oh.” Your smiles fade but then you cheered yourself up and took the letter away from his hand. You placed the letter on the table beside his bed.

 

“Oppa, I brought you lunch!”

 

“Oh no, you didn’t.”

 

“Oh yes, I did.” You beamed.

 

Jinki shook his head and laughed at Youngmin’s expression as he looked at what you’ve brought.

 

“Seriously, vegetables again?” He raised his brow. You giggled and pour him a glass of water.

 

“Youngmin-ah!” A loud voice filled the room. The three of you turned your head to the door. Donghyun beamed as he waved the lunch boxes in his hands. “I’m here to save you.”

 

You sighed and stretched out your hands; making a barrier. “He can’t eat those.”

 

Jinki and Youngmin laughed.

 

“What? Come on, Jieun. The doctor didn’t say Youngmin should eat vegetables only. He’s not a herbivore!” He laughed and stepped closer.

 

Youngmin pulled you into his arms. “Come on, Jieun-ah.” He pleaded. You sighed in defeat. He chuckled and kissed your cheek. You wanted to get up from the bed but Youngmin hugged you tighter. “Feed me, please.”

 

You sighed again and laughed. Donghyun shook his head and laughed. He took a seat beside Jinki.

 

“I’m glad he's all better now.” Donghyun whispered to Jinki. Jinki just smiled.

 

“But, Kwangmin…”

 

Jinki looked at Donghyun and shook his head. “Becareful, Donghyun-ah. Don’t mention his name in front of them.”

 

Donghyun nodded and sighed as he looked at both of you.

 

                                                                                ***                 

       

Minwoo sat down on the chair and waited for Suzy. A few minutes later, Suzy came with the police. The police took off her handcuffs and closed the door. Suzy sat down in front of him. She looked at the floor; unable to look at her cousin’s face.

 

“Why did you do it, Suzy?” Minwoo’s voice trembled. He sounded so disappointed.

 

“I have to. If I didn’t, I-I.”

 

“I heard about the loan sharks. Why didn’t you tell me? I could help you. It’s because of him, isn’t it? The one who made you cheated on Kwangmin.”

 

Suzy’s eyes started to brim with tears. She slightly nodded her head.

 

“He ran off with my money but left me with his debt. The loan sharks couldn’t find him so they targeted me instead.” She sobbed.

 

Minwoo shook his head. “You could’ve told me.”

 

“And then what? Get dissed by your family? I had enough when Grandpa cut off his connection with my family. I’ve been through a lot while you…” She stopped and wiped away her tears. “Don’t come back. I don’t need your help.” Suzy got up and the police handcuffed her hands again; she’s going back to her cell.

 

Minwoo clasped his hands together and let out a deep sigh.

                                                               

                                                                                                ***

click click ^^

 

“Appa?”

 

“Hello, Kwangmin-ah. Long time no see.”

 

Kwangmin also reached out to hold his father’s hand. But he couldn’t hold it. His hand only passed his father’s hand; as if his father was only a hologram.

 

His father chuckled and put his hand to his side.

 

“Why can’t I hold you?” Kwangmin asked; confused.

 

“Don’t you remember anything, my son?”

 

“I can’t…”

 

“Keep trying or you will have to go back with me.”

 

“Where?”

 

His father only smiled. Kwangmin tried hard to remember but he couldn’t. His head was hurting so much. He touched his head and there was blood on his hand.

 

“Why am I bleeding?”

 

His father didn’t say anything. He’s not even worried when he saw Kwangmin’s blood. Suddenly, all the memories rushed into his mind. He shouted and fell to his knees. He remembered seeing you at the bus stop; he remembered that he got hit by a car when he tried to save you.

 

 “Jieun-ah.” Kwangmin finally said.

 

His father chuckled.

 

“Why do you think you couldn’t hold my hand, my son? It is because you don’t belong to where I am. We live in two different worlds. And now, it’s time for you to go back to where you should be.”

 

“Appa…” he weakly said. He wanted to cry but tears won’t come out.

 

“I met your brother, too. Just like you, he couldn’t remember anything but the first person he remembered was Jieun. The only difference was his hand brushed mine. He couldn’t really hold it. I thought he was going back with me but miraculously, he didn’t.”

 

Kwangmin was glad when he heard his brother didn’t die. He smiled. “I miss you, appa.”

 

Slowly, Kwangmin started to disappear. “Appa!”

 

“I miss you too, my son. You should go back now. Be happy and if you still remember when you wake up, tell your mother I miss her too.”

 

Kwangmin slowly opened his eyes. He could see the medical equipment around him and his hand felt tingly because of the needle. His head was hurting so much. He blinked his eyes and the first person he saw was you.

 

 

"Hyung-nim!" Hyunseong shook Kwangmin's body.

 

Kwangmin slowly opened his eyes and touched his hurting head. "Ah, my head..." he groaned.

 

"Here, hyung-nim." Hyunseong gave Kwangmin a glass of plain water and his pills. Kwangmin threw the pills into his mouth and swallowed them down with a glass of plain water. 

 

“Are you feeling better now, hyung-nim?” He asked as he placed the tray on the side table.

 

Kwangmin nodded his head and made an okay sign with his hand.

 

“Why didn’t you stay at the hospital? It’s better to stay there. You don’t even want to go to your own house.”

 

“I’m okay, Hyunseong. Don’t worry.” He said. He couldn’t stay there or come back to his own house. He didn’t want to see you and his brother. He shook his head; trying to forget you. 

 

'Was it only a dream? Or did I really meet my father?' he thought.

                                                                                                             ***

Click click ^^ 

 

You pulled up Youngmin’s blanket. He grabbed your hand and smiled. His eyes were droopy because he was sleepy.

 

“Goodnight, Jieun-ah.” His voice was faint.

 

You smiled and his hand with your other hand. “Goodnight, oppa.”

 

Youngmin fell asleep. You smiled and sat beside his bed. The doctor said that Youngmin could leave after a few more days. You were glad he was getting better. You stretched out and straightened your back. You glanced at the letter beside the bed and slowly reached out your hand to take it.

 

You flipped the letter opened and read it. Tears brimmed in your eyes again.

 

 ‘Annyeong, hyung. Jieun-ah. Umm…how do I start? Hahah. Hyung, please take care of your health after this. Treasure your heart and I hope you live for a long time.’

You took a deep breath and continued reading.

‘And don’t look for me. I will take care of myself, somehow. Your brother know how to take care of himself now, you don’t have to be worried like you always do when we were little. Please take good care of Jieun, I know you will. Hahah.

And Jieun-ah…take care.

Sincerely, your not-so-little-anymore-brother and your good friend,

Kwangmin.’

 

You folded the letter and placed it back on the table. You pulled out the necklace he gave you from your pocket and scrutinized them for a while but you put them back into your pocket. Kwangmin left the letter after a few days he woke up from his comma. Nobody knew where he went. He just…left. You wiped the tears away and looked at Youngmin.

 

‘It’s okay. I have Youngmin oppa now. And both of them didn’t leave me.’ You smiled but your heart was still hurting. Somehow, you felt empty and out of place. ‘I love Youngmin oppa. I really do.’ You convinced yourself as another tear dropped down your cheek.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wait! It haven't ended yet! Kekeke, do look forward to the chapter ^^

Saranghae readers ^^