Chapter 23

I'll Be There

 

Kindly click any blue link in the chapter, thank you ^^

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I can’t believe Jinki oppa stayed for one day only.” You whined.

 

 “You’re right. I thought he would stay longer.”  Kwangmin chuckled and fixed his tie.

 

“Are you going already, oppa?” You asked.

 

“Yep, don’t want to be late for work.” He smiled.

 

“Are you…going to come home early today?”

 

“I’m not sure. Wae?”

 

“Nothing…Oppa, do you know what day it is?”

 

“Err…Monday?” Kwangmin answered and tilted his head. You were a bit disappointed by his answer.

 

‘Didn’t he remember? It’s our anniversary today, though.’ You thought and pouted.

 

“Wae? Is there anything wrong?” Kwangmin asked again.

 

 “Nope, nothing’s wrong.” You forced a smile.

 

“Err. Okay then… See you later.” Kwangmin said and leaned in to kiss your forehead.

 

“Em, see you later.” You smiled bitterly.

 

 

 

Kwangmin noticed your smile was different but he pretended not to see them. Actually, he knew it was their anniversary today. ‘Of course I know what day it is, silly. It’s your special day. Although it is actually a special day for you and Youngmin hyung…but I will celebrate in behalf of Youngmin hyung. And I’ll celebrate it because I want you to be happy.’ Kwangmin thought. He left but he’s not going to Youngmin’s office or his restaurant either.

 

Kwangmin drove to the nearby market to buy the ingredients so that he could cook for the anniversary party. Then, he drove to a jewelry store to buy a necklace. He put his point finger to his chin, thinking of which necklace would suit you better. Then he saw the perfect necklace for you.

 

“Can you show me that one?” Kwangmin asked the store assistant.

 

“This one, sir?”

 

“Yes.” 

 

The shop assistant gave it to him. Kwangmin scrutinized the details of the necklace and smiled by himself as he imagined you wearing it.

 

“I’ll take this one.” He said confidently.

 

The shop assistant handed him the box that contained your necklace. ‘Perfect.’ he thought. ‘I hope you treasure it, Jieun-ah…’

 

He drove back to their home. He knew you would have gone to work by now and he could prepare everything for the surprise party.

 

 

You were being moody as you worked. Jeongmin teased you to cheer you up.

 

“What’s wrong with you? Couple fight?” he chuckled. “Aigoo~ look at that pout.” He continued.

 

You just glared at Jeongmin for seconds and continued your works with a gloomy expression. You would sigh now and then. Jeongmin glanced at Sunmi. Sunmi just shrugged her shoulder. You were staring at the ceiling mindlessly. ‘How could you forget about it?’ you thought and sighed. Sunmi and Jeongmin just shook their head at your weird behaviour.

 

 

 

While at home, Kwangmin was doing his best to prepare for the party. He was out of breath after blowing the balloons. He sighed.

 

“This is harder than the party during New Year. Oh well, anything for Jieun.” He shook his head and stared at the balloons. He wanted to finish decorating first before preparing the meals. ‘Let’s just hope she doesn’t decide to go home suddenly…If she does, all of this will be ruined.’ He thought. He glanced at the clock. ‘It’s noon already. She’ll be back by 6, right?’

 

‘I prepared all of this for you and for your happiness. To celebrate the best day of your life. To remind you of how you and Youngmin hyung became together.’ Kwangmin gulped and chuckled bitterly. ‘Am I trying too hard?’ His eyes became wet with tears. ‘It’s not our memories but…’ he sighed, unwilling to think of anything that would depress him. “I should continue decorating the house.” He tried to cheer himself up by imagining your happy face when you came back home later. 

 

 

 

The bells on the café’s door rang. You were sitting on the chair in front of the counter with Sunmi; you didn’t budge from your seat and kept pouting. Sunmi turned her head to greet the customer.

 

“Welcome to…our café” she stuttered and turned her head back to you.

 

Minwoo politely bowed to Sunmi and mouthed to Sunmi, “What’s wrong?” Sunmi just shrugged her shoulders.

 

“Jieun? Are you okay? Are you sick?” Minwoo’s voice startled you.

 

“Minwoo…” you said with a weak voice. “No, I’m not sick or anything.”

 

“Then, why are you looking so down?” He raised his left brow.

 

“Am I?” You faked a laugh.

 

“You’re such not a good liar, Jieun.” Minwoo chuckled.

 

“Ne?” You answered with a confused expression.

 

“Come, let me bring you somewhere to cheer you up.” Minwoo smiled.

 

You glanced at your watch. ‘It’s almost 6. I should be going home by now...But, it’s not like Youngmin oppa will be home. He even forgot about our anniversary…’ you sighed again.

 

“Jieun? Hello?” Minwoo waved his right hand in front of your face. “Or did you…already have plans with Youngmin hyung?”

 

“Nope! Let’s go.” You suddenly exclaimed, startling Minwoo and Sunmi who was standing behind you. You forced a smile.

 

“O…kay.” Minwoo said with unsure voice. “Let’s go.” He gestured towards the door.

 

You took off your apron and waved goodbye to Sunmi and Jeongmin. “You can close the shop early today if you want to.” You shouted as you left.

 

Sunmi and Jeongmin looked at each other and shrugged again. “Ya, do you think anything happen between Youngmin-ssi and eonnie?” Sunmi asked.

 

“Molla~” Jeongmin answered with a childish voice.

 

 

 

Minwoo kept glancing at your direction. It’s been 15 minutes since both of you left the café but you still haven’t said anything yet. Minwoo tried to break the silence.

 

“Is there anywhere do you want to go?” He asked casually.

 

You were startled because you were out of it for a while. “Yes?”

 

Minwoo chuckled. “Seriously, what happened between both of you?”

 

“Nothing...in particular.” You answered and sighed. Minwoo kept himself from asking any longer although he was really curious. He didn’t want to interfere but it was bothering him that Youngmin made you unhappy.

 

“Let’s go to Eclipse.” Minwoo suggested.

 

“Where?”

 

“Eclipse. It’s a new restaurant in Korea. Actually, the main restaurant is in America but they opened up another branch here. I promised you, you’ll taste the most delicious food in the world.” He chuckled. There was another thing playing in his mind though. ‘And I want to check up on something too…I’m pretty sure I saw Youngmin hyung before.’ He tightened his grip on the steering wheel.

 

 

 

Kwangmin was lying down on the couch as he stared at the wall clock. It’s 8PM but you hadn’t come home yet and Kwangmin couldn’t call you because everything was supposed to be a surprise. He glanced to his left side; the candle on the cake was burning brightly. The foods served on the table were going to be cold in any moment. Kwangmin blew off the candle and sighed.

 

‘Where is she? Wasn’t she supposed to be back by now?’ he thought. ‘All of these preparations…are they useless?’ he sighed again. He pulled out the small box from his pocket and flipped them open. The diamond necklace was shining brightly because of the light. ‘Happy…anniversary, Jieun-ah. He smiled as he slowly the necklace then he flipped the box closed and put them back into his pocket. ‘I’ll wait for you…’

 

 

 

Minwoo ordered the food from the menu. You were staring at the table mindlessly. Minwoo ordered for you because you looked so down that he didn’t bother to disturb you at the moment. After he finished ordering, the waiter politely bowed and left. Minwoo leaned his body against the table and stared at your eyes.

 

You were startled by his action. “Wae? W-what’s wrong?” you stuttered.

 

“You.” Minwoo answered shortly. You tilted your head, confused by his answer. “You’ve been out of it for a while. Come on, Jieun-ssi. Just because of Youngmin hyung, you want to put a gloomy face all day?”

 

“Do I look gloomy? Oh, is it that obvious?” you chuckled lightly but your smile disappeared again.

 

“See? You’re doing it again.” Minwoo said.

 

“Okay, okay. I won’t do it again.” You forced a smile.

 

The foods were served on their table. “Enjoy your food.” The waiter said and took his leave.

 

“Try them. I bet you’ll love them.” Minwoo smiled. You slightly nodded and started to eat.

 

“Yum~” your lips curved into a smile. “This is delicious!”

 

“I told you so.” Minwoo smiled and started to eat his portion. “You look much prettier when you smile. You should stick the smile to your face with glue, you know.” He chuckled.

 

 “Yes?” You were confused but you chuckled as well. ‘The tastes remind me of Youngmin oppa.’ You sighed again.

 

“Not again.” Minwoo whined.

 

You laughed. “Okay, okay. I won’t do it again.”

 

 

 

Minwoo put his right hand up to call the waiter. “Excuse me?”

 

“Yes sir? Is there anything wrong?”

 

“There’s nothing wrong.” He smiled. “These…are heavenly.” He gestured to the foods served on the table. “Do you think I can meet the head chef? I really like to compliment him myself.”

 

You were just listening to the conversation and said nothing.

 

“Of course, sir. Please wait for a while.” The waiter said and went to the kitchen. In the next minute, Hyunseong came out from the kitchen.

 

“Hello, I’m the head chef, Shim Hyunseong.” He bowed formally to both of you but then Hyunseong realized that you were there. You didn’t realize his presence until he introduced himself.

 

“Mr. Shim?” You exclaimed.

 

“Do you know him?” Minwoo asked.

 

 “Y-yes…He’s Youngmin oppa’s client…” you answered.

 

‘Ah~ could that the reason Youngmin hyung came here?’ Minwoo thought. ‘But, that is not a reason for him to wear the chef’s attire right?’ he started to become suspicious again.

 

“Anyway, these…are heavenly. You’ve done a great job.” Minwoo complimented and smiled.

 

“He’s right.” You agreed and smiled to Hyunseong. ‘But, the tastes really remind me of Youngmin oppa. I don’t know why.’

 

“Thank you, sir. Thank you, Jieun-ssi. I’m glad you enjoyed it.” Hyunseong bowed repetitively and politely. “I am sorry but I really need to excuse myself.” He bowed again and took his leave. When Hyunseong entered the kitchen, he sighed in relief. ‘It was fortunate that hyung-nim is not here.’ Hyunseong thought. ‘But, what is Jieun-ssi doing here? With another man?’ he tilted his head. ‘Oh well, that’s not my business.’ He shrugged.

 

 

 

Both of Minwoo and you had finished eating their dinner. You glanced at your watch on your wrist. ‘It’s almost 10PM already.’ You sighed. ‘I wonder if Youngmin oppa is waiting for me…’   

 

“Minwoo, I think I need to go home now…” You said.

 

“I know. You don’t have to say it that way. You sound like a little kid that has past your curfew.” He chuckled. You laughed along with him.

 

You were silent again in the car and bit your lower lip. ‘Will Youngmin oppa be angry just like the last time?’ you thought but then you shook your head to throw away the thought. ‘He doesn’t have the right to be angry. He even forgot our anniversary.’ You clucked your tongue.

 

Minwoo who had been glancing at your direction for several times knew that you had always been thinking of Youngmin all the time. His heart ached again but he ignored it. He could accept anything as long as Youngmin kept you happy but this time, Minwoo was a little bit angry with Youngmin for making you became unhappy. He bit his lower lip and tightened his grip on the steering wheel. 

 

 

 

“Goodnight, Jieun-ah. And throw away that pout from your face.” Minwoo said.

 

You chuckled. “Okay, goodnight Minwoo.” You smiled and waved at Minwoo.

 

You walked towards your house and pulled out the key from your purse. You twisted the doorknob and slowly entered and the light because it was dark. Your eyes widened when you saw the decorations in the living room. Your mouth was slightly opened because you couldn’t believe your eyes. You slowly walked towards the couch and saw that Kwangmin had already fallen asleep. You could see there were cakes and foods that had been wrapped up.  You walked closer towards the table.

 

(click here)

 

Tears were b in your eyes as you saw the writings on the cake. ‘Happy Anniversary, silly!’ You fell down on your knees and you started to sob. ‘He remembered our anniversary…and he prepared all of these…but I went out to dinner with another person.’

 

Kwangmin woke up when he heard your sobs. When he turned his head towards your direction, he was shocked to see you on your knees and wiping your tears. He quickly got up from the couch and approached you.

 

“Jieun-ah. Why are you crying?” he placed his hands on your shoulders.

 

“Mianhae oppa…I thought you didn’t remember…” you cried. “So, I went out with Minwoo for dinner.” You admitted. Kwangmin was hurt but he knew it was not your fault. He never thought that you were hurt because of him.

 

“I’m sorry…Jieun-ah. I thought I want to surprise you so I acted like I didn’t remember about it. I never thought you were hurt because of this.” He hugged you and patted your back.

 

“It’s not your fault oppa.” your voice cracked because you were crying.

 

“Well, it’s not yours either.” Kwangmin said as he pulled away from the hug. “Well, the party is not completely ruined yet.” He smiled. ”We just need to reheat the food and we can still blow off the candle.” He winked.

 

You wiped off your tears and laughed. “That’s right. And oppa, stop winking, seriously.” You laughed.

 

Kwangmin was glad to see you laughing again.      

 

 

 

Kwangmin got up and took some of the foods to reheat them but you stopped him.

 

“Where are you going, oppa?”

 

“To reheat the food?” he raised his brows.

 

“There’s no need for that. I told you I had dinner.” You smiled.

 

“O…kay then.” Kwangmin sat beside you. He glanced at the wall clock again. “It’s not 12AM yet so it’s still our anniversary day.” He smiled and lighted up the candle.

 

“Let’s blow the candle together after the count of three.” Kwangmin said.

 

“1, 2, 3!” You exclaimed and you blew the candle together. “Happy one year anniversary, oppa.” You giggled.

 

“Happy anniversary…” he smiled and stared at you.

 

“We’ve been going through a lot, don’t you think so oppa? Time flies so quickly that I didn’t realize that we’ve been together for a year already.” You grinned.

 

‘7 months with hyung and 3 months with me to be exact…’ Kwangmin thought.

 

You playfully took some cream from the cake and spread them on Kwangmin’s face. You burst out laughing because his reaction was too slow. His face was already full of cream.

 

“Ya, Lee Jieun!” He playfully shouted. You were about to run away but Kwangmin quickly pulled your hand back. He did his revenge by doing the same thing to you.

 

“Ah~ Oppa. Look what you did to me.” You whined as you wiped off the cream from your face with your hands.

 

“That’s what we called revenge.” Kwangmin chuckled and stared at you. He was still holding your wrist. His hands slowly moved to hold your hands.

 

“Wae oppa?”

 

Kwangmin pulled you and crushed his lips towards your lips. You were a bit startled but you giggled in the kiss because of the cream. Kwangmin pinched your cheeks to stop you from laughing but he was smiling too. Both of you didn’t realize that their kiss deepened as time passed by.

 

‘Can you feel it, Lee Jieun? The warmth of my heart…And my love for you... That was because of you. The thought of having to erase my feelings for you when everything is over hurts me so much. I will not forget you. No. I can’t forget you, Lee Jieun.’

 

Kwangmin pulled away from the kiss. “I love you, Lee Jieun.” His heart was crying and he felt like shouting from the bottom of his heart, ‘I want you to love me as Jo Kwangmin.’

 

You giggled. “Me too, oppa. I love you so~ much.”

 

Kwangmin laughed and pinched your cheeks and then he remembered the present.

 

“Jieun-ah.” He said as he pulled out the box from his pocket. “This is your present.” He flipped opened the box revealing the diamond necklace. Your mouth fell open.

 

“Oppa…” you were speechless. “This is diamond right? This is expensive. How could I accept this…” You felt guilty to accept the present because it was too expensive.

 

“Jieun-ah, don’t reject my present. Treasure this and never take it off, okay?” he said as he hung the necklace around your neck. “Perfect, just like how I imagined it.” Kwangmin smiled brightly.

 

“Thank you, oppa.” Your eyes were wet because you were touched by the present. “And, I’m sorry for not buying you any present!”

 

“There’s no need to. All I need is your smile. So smile always…” He leaned in and kissed your lips again.