Wonha

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

“Hey, stranger.”

 

Sowon glanced up expecting Yerin but was pleasantly surprised to see Eunha. She didn’t know the other attending too well, since she was more of Yerin’s friend, but she liked her well enough.

 

“Hey, how have you been?”

 

Eunha smiled wryly and asked, “How much time do you have?”

 

Sowon laughed. She knew the feeling. She scooted over and patted the newly emptied spot on the couch next to her. The attendings’ lounge was empty, but even if it wasn’t, it was common for attendings to vent in there. Eunha plopped down next to Sowon, wearing an adorable pout.

 

Sowon turned toward her and put on a pompous tone. “Now, tell Dr. Kim what's troubling you.”

 

Eunha giggled and swatted Sowon’s arm. “I don’t know why I’m taking it so hard, but I’m working a case with Yerin.”

 

“Is Yerin that bad?” Sowon joked.

 

Eunha rolled her eyes but smiled nonetheless. “Yerin is great, you giraffe, and you know that’s not what I meant.” Her smile dropped into a frown, and she looked away from Sowon. “I have to work on a kid’s face.”

 

Sowon immediately softened, feeling bad for making light of Eunha’s struggle. After hesitating for a moment, Sowon placed her hand over Eunha’s. “I’m sorry,” Sowon said sincerely. “Kids are never easy. I don’t know how Yerin does it day in and day out.” She squeezed Eunha’s hand and waited until she looked at her again. “Tell me about the case.”

 

“It’s a cleft palate,” Eunha explained. “It’s not the worst case I’ve done, not by a long shot, but this kid is only four. He’s four years-old and he’s so sweet, but he has to have this surgery and he’s terrified. Nothing should go wrong, but when he looked at me at rounds today… I don’t think I’ve felt this nervous since my residency.” She smiled sadly and shook her head. “Sorry for dumping this on you. We don’t even know each other that well.”

 

“Don’t worry about it,” Sowon reassured her. She squeezed her hand once more. “We all have bad days, but Eunha, you are an amazing surgeon. I’ve seen you perform miracles. This kid? He’s in good hands with you.”

 

Eunha surprisingly blushed at the compliments. “Thank you, Sowon.”

 

“Any time,” Sowon told her honestly. She could see why Yerin was friends with Eunha. She had a good heart. “You owe me a drink now.”

 

“Oh, do I?” Eunha laughed.

 

“I was a pretty good therapist for a second there,” Sowon joked. “But really, how about we grab drinks sometime?”

 

“Why, Dr. Kim, are you asking me out?” Eunha asked with a teasing smile. Sowon blushed and began sputtering, but Eunha just laughed. “I’m just kidding, Sowon. I’d like that. Just let me know.” With that, she stood up. “Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, but I need to grab lunch before my pager inevitably goes off. See you later.”

 

As the door swung shut after Eunha, Sowon pulled herself together to answer belatedly, “Yes.”