Napink

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

Kyulkyung woke to a persistent buzz at her hip. She whined and tried to shift away from the annoyance, but something held her down. She forced her eyes open to figure out what was happening and almost screamed. Kyulkyung suddenly couldn’t breathe as she realized there was only a few inches between her face and Nayoung’s.

 

Right, their movie night. They had started off sitting up, but halfway through their second movie, they had both felt sleepy. Wanting to finish the movie, they had decided to squeeze onto the couch lying down. They must’ve fallen asleep like that, leading to this position.

 

As Kyulkyung wriggled around, she realized she hadn’t been able to move away because Nayoung’s arms were secured tightly around her waist. Kyulkyung’s face heated up and she quickly maneuvered her way out of the embrace. She regretted it once she did but she knew it was better that Nayoung didn’t wake up with them like that.

 

Remembering that something had woken her up, Kyulkyung hesitantly slipped her hand into the pocket of Nayoung’s sweatpants and carefully pulled out her vibrating phone.

 

“Dr. Lim’s phone,” Kyulkyung answered, wincing at how gravelly her voice was.

 

“Nayoung, is that you?”

 

Kyulkyung swore under her breath when she realized the person on the other end of the call was Eunha Jung, her attending. This definitely wasn’t professional. Thankfully, Kyulkyung had a good excuse to be answering Nayoung’s phone.

 

“This is Kyulkyung Zhou. Nayoung is my roommate and is currently asleep.” Well, that sounded awkward as hell.

 

There was a pause before Eunha said, “Uh okay. Tell Nayoung she’s late to work and if she isn’t here in thirty minutes, the chief will drown her in paperwork and interns.”

 

“Sure,” Kyulkyung said, “thanks.” She went to hang up when Eunha went, “Oh, by the way.”

 

Kyulkyung twitched nervously and asked, “Yeah?”

 

“You’re late too, Zhou,” Eunha said with a laugh before hanging up.

 

Kyulkyung cursed and threw the phone down. She ripped the pillow out from under Nayoung’s head and yelled, “Wake up!”

 

“I’m going to kill you,” Nayoung grumbled as she tried to cushion her head with her arms.

 

“Well, the chief is going to kill you if you don’t wake up.”

 

Nayoung shot up and blinked blearily at Kyulkyung. “Wait, what time is it?”

 

“You’re late,” Kyulkyung said instead of answering. She smiled as Nayoung let out a string of expletives as she got up and stumbled to her room. Then Kyulkyung remembered she was late too and ran to her room. Even though she was going to suffer for being late, waking up in Nayoung’s arms had totally been worth it.

 

A few hours later, after being thoroughly chewed out by Eunha for being late and put on paperwork duty, Kyulkyung stopped by the attendings’ lounge to check on Nayoung. If that’s what happened to her, she could only imagine what happened to Nayoung.

 

Kyulkyung poked her head in and laughed when she spotted Nayoung passed out on the couch. She glanced around and saw it was empty, so she snuck in quietly. She kneeled next to the couch and smiled softly at how relaxed Nayoung looked in her sleep. She knew Nayoung was known to be stone-faced, but like this, Nayoung was anything but.

 

Unable to help herself, Kyulkyung reached out and brushed a stray lock of hair out of her face then gently caressed Nayoung’s face.

 

Suddenly, the door to the attendings’ lounge slammed open, and Kyulkyung jumped, accidentally scratching Nayoung’s face. Kyulkyung stared in horror as Nayoung’s eyes fluttered open. Nayoung squinted at her and raised a hand to the red marks Kyulkyung left.

 

“Hey, Zhou!”

 

It really wasn’t Kyulkyung’s day. She turned around and found herself face-to-face with Eunha and Sowon. Seriously? It couldn’t at least have been attendings she didn’t know?

 

“Pretty sure this is the attendings’ lounge, kid,” Sowon said kindly.

 

Praying the earth would swallow her up, Kyulkyung explained shyly, “I was checking on Nayoung.”

 

Behind her, Nayoung sat up and yawned, rubbing at her cheek. Kyulkyung could tell by the looks of amusement that Eunha and Sowon could see the scratch marks she made. Sowon looked close to bursting out laughing while Eunha looked like she was going to hold this over Kyulkyung for the rest of her career.

 

“Kyulkyung, what’s up?” Nayoung asked in a scratchy voice that just about made Kyulkyung melt.

 

“The kid was worried about you,” Sowon said, grinning broadly.

 

Nayoung hummed and rubbed at her cheek again. “Did I scratch myself in my sleep?”

 

This time Sowon couldn’t hold in her laughter and started chuckling, trying to muffle it with her hands. Eunha was just taking it all in with a look of fascination. Kyulkyung’s cheeks couldn’t have been any redder than if she’d dumped red paint on them.

 

“You guys are weird,” Nayoung rolled her eyes. She patted Kyulkyung’s shoulder. “Get out of here before some meaner attendings decide to come in here.”

 

Not needing to be told twice, Kyulkyung scrambled to her feet and hurried out of the room, Sowon’s chuckles following her out. She sighed as she rounded the hallway corner. This was getting out of hand.