Chaejeong

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

It'd been almost two weeks, and Chungha was still avoiding Sejeong. Not that you would've been able to tell from a glance. Chungha was just very busy, so another nurse had to take over as Sejeong’s go-to nurse. The nurse was a pretty young woman by the name of Chaeyeon, who was fairly new to the unit.

 

“Morning,” Sejeong mumbled as she dragged herself up to the nurses’ station. She hadn't gotten much sleep last night due to an intense game of monopoly with her cousins. Unsurprisingly, it was Chaeyeon at the desk that Sejeong frequented and not Chungha. Whatever, Chaeyeon was a perfectly capable nurse. “Can I see the chart for 409?”

 

“Of course, Dr. Kim,” Chaeyeon smiled. She did that a lot, smiling. Chungha had smiled at her too, but it had been less sweet and more mischievous. “How are you this morning?”

 

“My cousin killed me in monopoly last night,” Sejeong sighed. “I almost had the little booger beat too, but instead I turned her seven game winning streak into eight.”

 

“Eight games? Maybe your cousin should be the doctor,” Chaeyeon teased lightly. That was another difference. Chungha destroyed Sejeong’s pride with just a few words with zero remorse, though it was all in good fun. Chaeyeon was kinder with her teasing. She was tentative to make fun of Sejeong, and it was cute the way she was shy around her.

 

“No, I think she belongs right where she is as a CEO,” Sejeong laughed. “Her boyfriend was devastated he lost again though. Do you have to deal with that? The person you're seeing being a total baby about losing?”

 

It was not subtle at all, but Chaeyeon still smiled. “No, since there's no person to begin with,” she replied, an amused twinkle in her eye. She handed over a binder. “Here you go, Dr. Kim, 409.”

 

“Call me Sejeong.” Sejeong winked as she said this, grabbing the binder and feeling a rush of satisfaction when she caught a glimpse of the blush on Chaeyeon’s face and the smile on her lips. “Want to grab lunch later?”

 

Chaeyeon pressed her lips together in an effort not to smile. “Of course, Dr. Kim.”

 

“Dr. Kim?” Sejeong repeated, grabbing her chest like she’d been shot. “You wound me, Nurse Jung.”

 

Chaeyeon giggled before correcting, “Chaeyeon.”

 

Sejeong grinned. “See you at lunch then, Chaeyeon.”