Yumji

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

Umji was excited for her third date with Yuju, but she couldn’t help but glance over at SinB who was swaddled in a blanket on the couch. She’d been moping for weeks now. Umji sighed. Maybe she’d talk to her when she got home later.

 

When there was a knock on the door, Umji let Yuju in and went to grab her jacket and purse. While she did, she heard Yuju say plainly, “You look like a burrito.” The frank statement made her smile as did SinB’s childish retort, “Your mom looks like a burrito… I don’t mean that. Your mom is a lovely woman.”

 

Umji walked back out and told SinB to remember to eat. When SinB sassed her that she could take care of herself, Umji rolled her eyes and reminded her there were leftovers in the fridge. She kissed SinB’s forehead on the way out and smiled at the way SinB relaxed under the touch. She loved her best friend, messy love life and all.

 

“I see she’s doing well,” Yuju said sarcastically as they walked out to her car. Chivalrous as always, Yuju opened the door for Umji before getting in herself. “She looks like a sad potato, sitting on your couch like that.”

 

Umji laughed at the description and said, “There’s not much to do right now. SinB’s basically in love with Yerin, and Yerin’s basically in love with SinB, but they’re both too stubborn to talk to each other about their feelings. Not to mention, Yerin hurt SinB, and we both know SinB doesn’t take getting hurt particularly well.”

 

Yuju grimaced, and Umji could tell she was remembering her third year of residency when Yuju had dated a girl SinB had liked. Let’s just say it was a miracle that SinB was still friends with Yuju now.

 

“It makes me feel bad that they’re so miserable when we’re so happy,” Yuju said honestly.

 

“Not all of us can just start dating our friend out of pity only to realize we’re actually really compatible,” Umji pointed out.

 

Yuju smiled sheepishly and said, “You have a good point there. I guess we’ll just have to see what happens with them because I should stop talking about them and focus on our date.”

 

“It’s sweet that you worry about SinB,” Umji reassured her. “You're a good friend.”

 

“Ah, but it doesn't get me very many good girlfriend points does it?”

 

“It gets you plenty.”

 

Yuju parked the car, and Umji realized they were at an ice skating rink. She looked at Yuju curiously, but the other woman just grinned. Yuju held her hand and led her in, waving to the girl behind the register casually. Huh, was Yuju a regular then? They walked by without stopping, and Umji realized they were the only people there. It was a Friday night. Shouldn’t there be more people?

 

With dawning realization, Umji turned to Yuju with wide eyes. “Please tell me you didn’t rent out an entire skating rink for us.”

 

“Uh, I can if you want, but I’d be lying,” Yuju said with a bashful smile and pink cheeks.

 

“You aren’t even an attending yet!” Umji exclaimed. “How can you afford this?”

 

“I know how to save money,” Yuju shrugged. “Besides, I’ve known the owner, since I was like eight. She has a soft spot for me.”

 

“Did you go all out because of the third date rule?” Umji teased.

 

Yuju flushed and laughed nervously. “I would’ve done it either way, but I am well aware that this is our third date.”

 

“Come on,” Umji said, giving her a break. “Teach me how to ice skate.”

 

They put on skates, Yuju putting on ones she owned and Umji putting on rentals. Umji was unsteady, but Yuju kept a tight grip on her hands. They went at a painstakingly slow pace, but Yuju was smiling the whole while. After getting used to the motions, Umji slowly relaxed and began to respond to Yuju’s chatter. Apparently Yuju had a dream of being a professional ice skater before she decided to become a surgeon.

 

At the end of the night when Yuju was standing outside the door, Umji gave her a lingering kiss. When she pulled away, Yuju followed and pressed another tender kiss to her lips.

 

Umji’s eyes fluttered open, cheeks aflame. She bit her lip and held out her hands to keep Yuju away. “If you want this to go further,” she whispered, “we have to go to your place.”

 

“Really?” Yuju asked, amused rather than annoyed.

 

“SinB and I have a strict policy of not having people over in that manner when the other is home,” Umji shrugged. “It’s worked up until now since we both haven’t had serious relationships since living together. I can talk to her about it tomorrow if you want.”

 

Yuju smirked and kissed Umji again, teasing her with a bit of tongue. “Tomorrow,” Yuju said. She grabbed Umji’s hand and tugged her away from the apartment door. “For now, you’re coming with me.”

 

“Is that a promise?”