Dodaeng

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

Yoojung winced as she watched Doyeon do a dangerous amount of flips in a row. This always happened when Doyeon was frustrated; she dragged Yoojung to a nearby gym with a section for gymnastics and used her cheerleading skills to do an outrageous amount of flips and tricks, until she was too exhausted to go on. That’s where Yoojung came in. She made sure Doyeon made it home alive.

 

Doyeon finished off that round with a complicated looking twist in the air, and Yoojung exhaled a breath she’d been holding when her best friend landed okay. Well, as okay as she could be with murder still on her face.

 

“Take a break,” Yoojung called out to her.

 

Doyeon glared at her, but when Yoojung just stared back, she reluctantly walked over and accepted the waterbottle Yoojung held out to her.

 

“You’re disgustingly fit,” Yoojung remarked dryly. “It’s been over a year, since you’ve done any of this.”

 

“I run and stretch daily,” Doyeon shrugged.

 

“And now you’re flipping around like there’s no tomorrow,” Yoojung frowned. “Don’t you think you should take it easy, and I don’t know, talk about what’s bothering you?”

 

Doyeon ignored her and took a long drink of water.

 

Yoojung huffed and yanked the bottle away from her. “Am I supposed to act like you didn’t come home crying the other night?”

 

“You’ve ignored it for the past five days,” Doyeon retorted.

 

“That was before you started wearing yourself out!” Yoojung exclaimed. “I wake up to get ready for work, and you’ve already gone for a five mile run. We go to work where we’re constantly on our feet. Then we get home, have dinner, and come here where you do even more physical work.”

 

“I’m fine,” Doyeon hissed.

 

“Are you willing to bet your patients’ lives on that?” Yoojung snapped.

 

Doyeon recoiled like she’d been slapped. She turned away and ran her hands over her face. She wasn’t okay. Yoojung had watched as the bags under her eyes had progressively gotten worse. She didn’t like to fight with Doyeon, but she couldn’t risk her or the patients.

 

“I’m getting over it, okay?” Doyeon mumbled.

 

Yoojung sighed. “I don’t even get to know what?”

 

Doyeon looked away and said quietly, shamefully, “Somi has a boyfriend.”

 

Yoojung loved Somi, but suddenly, she hated her with every ounce of her being. She hadn’t been blind to Doyeon’s crush on Somi, but she’d assumed it’d been that. A crush. Not enough to devastate her like this.

 

“Why didn’t you just tell me?” Yoojung asked.

 

“It’s embarrassing,” Doyeon frowned. “Nayoung’s right. She’s a baby. What was I thinking?”

 

“She’s an endearing and enthusiastic baby,” Yoojung admitted with a shrug. “Listen, it’s not a big deal. You’re a catch, Doyeon. There’s someone else out there for you.”

 

“You didn’t hear what he’s like,” Doyeon said mournfully. “He’s basically the male version of me.”

 

Yoojung felt like shaking Doyeon by the shoulders. “Then it’s her loss! You’re Kim Doyeon, one of the up and coming neuro surgeons at our hospital. You’re more than just some girl!”

 

“You’re sweet,” Doyeon smiled, and while Yoojung was glad she finally got through to her, she also couldn’t help but blush.

 

“Listen,” Yoojung said gently. “You’re amazing. Don’t let her take that away from you.”

 

Doyeon smiled and hugged Yoojung. “Thank you.”

 

Relieved to see her best friend smiling, Yoojung grinned and playfully punched her arm. “Atta girl. Now, let’s go home. You owe me like thirty thousand calories worth of pizza.”

 

“You just stood there and watched me,” Doyeon pointed out with a laugh.

 

Yoojung nodded shamelessly and said, “And boy was it exhausting watching you do all those flips and stuff.”

 

“You dork,” Doyeon said affectionately, slinging her arm around Yoojung’s shoulders.