Chungha & Chaeyeon

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

Chungha kept her head bent over her salad, silently berating herself. She should have never agreed to that dinner with Sejeong and her mother. But seeing Sejeong’s smile again after so long, eager to have dinner with her, how could Chungha have said no?

 

Now, she was sulking around the hospital and snapping at incompetent nurses and interns. SinB had noticed, especially during the dance classes they took together. She’d corrected Chungha on a piece of choreography, and Chungha had almost bitten her head off.

 

“I get you and Sejeong are on the outs, but I’m just trying to help,” SinB said with a roll of her eyes. The mention of Sejeong made Chungha flush. She hadn’t realized SinB of all people had even noticed that she and Sejeong weren’t on the best of terms. Nonetheless, Chungha apologized for her behavior, and SinB just replied, “Whatever, dude. It’s the hospital. We all have our drama.”

 

Chungha knew about SinB, Yerin, and Eunha, but said nothing, not wanting to ruin the tenuous friendship SinB had given her. It was a good thing she didn’t because a week later SinB and Yerin were together and as happy as could be.

 

Must be nice. Chungha sighed and stabbed at her salad.

 

Suddenly, a salad was placed in front of hers, and Chungha looked up to see who the salad belonged to. She blinked, seeing the last person she expected.

 

Chaeyeon smiled at her shyly and asked carefully, “Can I sit with you?”

 

“Sure,” Chungha nodded, probably sounding as wary as she felt. She only really knew Chaeyeon in a professional sense, and when she said that, she meant she only knew from other nurses that she was capable and sweet. Chungha continued to pick at her salad as she watched Chaeyeon try to work up the nerve to say something to her. Getting tired of waiting, Chungha asked kindly, “Did you need help with anything?” She winced at the slight annoyance in her voice and remedied it by adding, “I was just wondering, since we don’t usually talk or anything.”

 

Chaeyeon blushed and smiled sheepishly. “I’m sorry for barging in on your lunch.”

 

“You weren’t really interrupting anything,” Chungha said with a wry smile and a wave to the empty chairs around them. “What’s up, Jung?”

 

“I wanted to talk to you about Sejeong,” Chaeyeon explained quietly, suddenly looking very serious. “She misses you.”

 

“Oh?” was all Chungha could say.

 

Chaeyeon nodded fervently. “She won’t say it, but I can tell. You haven’t seen the way she looks at you when we see you around.”

 

“Oh,” Chungha whispered. She looked away, trying not to let Chaeyeon see the pain that was so clearly etched on her face. The way Sejeong looked at her? It felt like a cruel joke coming from Chaeyeon of all people. “I think it’s better if I stay away from Sejeong,” Chungha said finally, the words bitter in .

 

“Why?” Chaeyeon asked desperately. “I saw you and Sejeong before we started dating and I remember always being so jealous of your friendship.”

 

Friendship. Chungha smiled sadly. She looked at Chaeyeon and couldn’t even feel a shred of hate toward her. Chaeyeon was being a good girlfriend, trying to make Sejeong happy, even if it meant going to someone else. How could Chungha begrudge her for wanting Sejeong to be happy when that was all Chungha wanted too?

 

“It’s just better if I’m not around,” Chungha repeated. It wasn’t that she couldn’t control herself around Sejeong or anything. She wasn’t an adulterer. However, she was human, and it just hurt too much to be around the woman she loved when she was falling in love with someone else.

 

Chaeyeon stared at her for a long moment. “Why?”

 

“Why does there have to be a reason?” Chungha sighed. “Can’t I just have decided I don’t want to be friends with her anymore?”

 

“If you didn’t, you wouldn’t look so upset,” Chaeyeon replied smartly.

 

“She’s happy with you,” Chungha said, bitterness creeping into her words. She regretted saying it when a flash of realization crossed Chaeyeon’s face, immediately replaced by pity. “Don’t look at me like that,” Chungha said quietly. “Just make her happy, okay?”

 

“She can’t be happy without you,” Chaeyeon said stubbornly. “Can’t you just try?”

 

“You don’t think I’ve been trying for the past four years?” Chungha hissed angrily. Chaeyeon at least had the decency to look ashamed. She understood why Chaeyeon was insisting, but it didn’t make it hurt any less. “She’ll get over it.”

 

“She won’t,” Chaeyeon said so firmly that Chungha felt her resolve begin to give out. “You’re her best friend and have been for years. She won’t get over it.”

 

Chungha bit her lip and couldn’t believe what she was about to do. “Fine. A month. If I can’t do it, I leave the both of you to your happiness.”

 

“Deal,” Chaeyeon nodded with a solemn look.

 

It must’ve felt like a hollow victory to sacrifice someone for another’s happiness.

 

Chungha sighed and stabbed her salad.


A/N: Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been able to update lately. School is still busy and on top of that I've hit a bit of a writer's block on where to go next with some of the ships.  I'll update as often as I can. Thank you for being patient and showing your support! :)