Yumji

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

“You know, most women get cats with their girlfriends,” Umji remarked dryly as she watched Yuju and SinB carry the fish tank into the apartment.

 

Yuju set down her side of the fish tank and grinned adorably at her. “Yeah, well SinB and Yerin called dibs on getting a cat first.”

 

“We can both have cats, you idiot,” SinB retorted as she pushed the fish tank into place.

 

“Why have my own when I can just monopolize yours?” Yuju teased.

 

“Whatever,” SinB rolled her eyes. She wiped her hands on her jeans and walked over to Umji, carefully avoiding the knotted bags on the floor carrying fish. She smiled softly and playfully ruffled Umji’s hair. “Okay, I’ve fulfilled my best friend duty by lugging that tank and the fish over here and helping Yuju carry the tank up. Any other physical labor you want to get out of me before I go back to Yerin’s?”

 

Umji hugged SinB and replied, “Nope, you’re good. I can help Yuju fill the tank with water and get the fish in.”

 

“Okay,” SinB nodded as she hugged her back. “Yerin and I will come over soon with the cat whenever we get it.”

 

“Are you still trying to convince Yerin to let you name the cat Potter?” Yuju asked as she and Umji walked SinB to the door.

 

SinB grinned and replied, “Of course, but I might have to settle for a Harry Potter reference so obscure she won’t recognize it.”

 

“Good luck then,” Umji laughed. She closed the door behind SinB after she left then turned to Yuju. “I can’t believe I’m best friends with such a nerd.”

 

“She’s a very lovable nerd,” Yuju conceded with a nod.

 

Working together, Umji and Yuju were able to fill up the tank quickly enough. While Umji set up the filtering system, Yuju laid down beside the fish and stared contemplatively at them. Umji let her and finished up setting up the tank before joining her.

 

“Whatcha thinking about?” Umji asked.

 

Yuju frowned, “I can’t tell the fish apart.”

 

“I didn’t realize that was a deal breaker.”

 

“How are we supposed to name them if we can’t tell them apart?”

 

Umji laughed and sat up. She crawled over and laid on top of Yuju, ignoring her playful groans of protest. She laid her head over Yuju’s chest, closing her eyes at the reassuring thumping of her heart. Umji hummed in approval when Yuju wrapped her arms around her to hug her.

 

They stayed like that for a while until Yuju said reluctantly, “We should get the fish into the tank.”

 

“You’re right,” Umji sighed. “We can’t let poor Pip die.”

 

“Who said we’d name one Pip?” Yuju laughed.

 

Umji pouted, “Wouldn’t Pip be a cute name?”

 

Yuju sighed dramatically and agreed that Pip would make a cute name. After some more playful banter about what to name the fish, the two women worked on setting up the filter and getting the fish in. While Umji added some little decorative bits like fake coral and seaweed and a crude mermaid that SinB had gifted them with a smirk, Yuju ordered them a large pizza.

 

They cleaned up the mess and collapsed on Umji’s couch with weary sighs. Yuju opened her arms, and Umji cuddled into them immediately.

 

“No more pets,” Yuju mumbled.

 

Umji giggled. “We just got our fish, and you’re already thinking about more?”

 

“More like the lack of more.”

 

As they waited for their pizza, Yuju and Umji stayed cuddled on the couch and exchanged small talk about their day. Yuju talked about a recent case she’d had to work with orthopedics, but it’d been totally cool to see them work on the bones. In return, Umji offered her other night with SinB where they’d ended up digging up their old homemade wands and chased each other around the apartment with them.

 

When the doorbell rang, they both groaned but got up nonetheless. Yuju went to get the pizza while Umji went to grab two beers and some plates. Tasks done, they plopped back down onto the couch like boneless blobs.

 

“Cheers to our happily ever after,” Yuju said with a smile.

 

“You’re so cheesy,” Umji laughed but gently tapped her beer bottle against hers anyways. After a quick sip, she grabbed the largest slice and took a bite. “You know, I think I’ll like the fish.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

Umji nodded. “They’ll keep me company,” she explained, “for when SinB is with Yerin and you’re not here.”

 

“Well when you put it that way,” Yuju frowned. She set down her pizza and looked to Umji seriously. “Are you okay with SinB being away so much?”

 

“I’m getting used to it,” Umji shrugged, picking at her pizza sullenly. “She isn’t neglecting me or anything like that. You saw her today. She always makes time to see me, even if she hasn’t seen Yerin in a while. It’s just– even if we were friends with you, SinB and I lived with each other. We saw each other constantly, especially since we didn’t really date anyone. She was my go-to person, but now… She’s not always around to be my go-to. I don’t blame her because I obviously spend time with you and not with her, but it’s just different. I’m used to it just being me and her, to have someone always here.”

 

Yuju pulled the pizza away from Umji and pulled her into the tightest hug she could manage. She nuzzled her hair and tried not to feel guilty for not noticing Umji’s distress. “I want you to know I’ll come over whenever you want,” Yuju whispered. “Day or night, even at three in the morning, I’ll be here.”

 

“Thank you,” Umji smiled, kissing her gently after first then deepening it.

 

Yuju kissed back but pulled away to tell her, “I think you should tell SinB about how you’re feeling though. She deserves to know.”

 

Umji frowned slightly but nodded. “Later,” Umij promised. “I’m busy now.” With that, she kissed Yuju again, and any thoughts of SinB after that were long gone.