Yumji

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

Umji was fixing her hair when there was a knock on the door. Bobby pins muffling her words, she called out, “SinB, could you get that?”

 

Groaning dramatically, her roommate got off the couch and walked over to open the door. When she did, she was already prepared for the enthusiastic hug she got from the person on the other side.

 

“Hey, Yuju,” SinB greeted.

 

“Hey yourself,” Yuju replied with a smile. Then she paused and frowned, taking in SinB's sweatpants and stained t-shirt. “You don’t look like you’re ready to go to the bar.”

 

“That’s because I’m not,” SinB said. She wandered back to the couch and plopped down. She grabbed the bowl of popcorn she made earlier and offered it to Yuju, only receiving a glare in return. “Yuju, I’m just not feeling it tonight.”

 

“It’s been forever since we’ve all gone out together,” Yuju protested. “I’m pretty sure the last time was when we were still interns.”

 

“Give it up,” Umji said as she walked out of her room, dressed in jeans and a nice top. “I’ve been trying to get her to come since we got home.” She took some popcorn when SinB held the bowl out to her and shrugged. “She doesn’t need to go out anymore, since she’s sleeping with Yerin.”

 

“Yah!” SinB exclaimed. “That is not why I’m not going out. Stop taking my popcorn if you’re gonna spread lies about me!” She pulled the popcorn bowl back and cuddled it in her lap sulkily. “Maybe I’m just tired from my shift.”

 

“Yeah, I wonder what made you so tired,” Umji said dryly. Ignoring SinB’s indignant sputtering, Umji turned to Yuju. “Ready?”

 

With a small laugh, Yuju nodded. No one could take down SinB quite as elegantly as Umji. She supposed that was why they were such good friends. Yuju held out her arm and smiled when Umji looped her own through it.

 

Since SinB and Umji lived in the apartments across the street from the hospital and next door to the bar, it was a short walk. When they walked in, Umji and Yuju went straight to the bar and claimed the empty stools.

 

“So, are SinB and Yerin really that serious?” Yuju asked after they ordered their drinks. She could’ve asked SinB herself, since they were also good friends, but she figured it’d be easier to get the truth from Umji.

 

Umji laughed and took a long sip of her drink. “Depends how you look at it,” she said vaguely. At Yuju’s look of curiosity, she elaborated, “It’s serious as in I’m pretty sure they’re only sleeping with each other, but casual in that they refuse to do anything besides sleep with each other.”

 

“Our SinB is so complicated,” Yuju chuckled. “We could probably spend the entire night talking about her, but let’s wait until she’s here to squirm under the spotlight. How has your love life been, Umji?”

 

“Nonexistent,” Umji shrugged. “Between work and SinB, I haven't really had the time to go out.”

 

Yuju gently placed her hand on top of Umji’s. “SinB is big girl, you know? She can take care of herself.”

 

“But she's such a nice excuse not to date,” Umji admitted shyly.

 

“I see,” Yuju tried not to smile. She leaned back in her seat but kept her hand on Umji’s. “Well, that excuse isn't going to work on me. This Saturday, you and me.”

 

“You and me what?” Umji asked, wrinkling her eyebrows.

 

“We’re going on a date!” Yuju exclaimed like it should've been obvious. “Look, I haven't been on a date in a while either. It's perfect.”

 

“Yuju…”

 

“I'm not taking no for an answer.”

 

Umji sighed before downing the rest of her drink. “Get me another drink, and we’ll talk.”