Sinrin

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

“Stop acting weird,” SinB said, annoyed at the way Umji kept pacing in front of their TV, effectively cutting off SinB’s view of it. “Umji, either stop or move!”

 

Umji stopped but she was right in front of the TV. When SinB whined for her to move, she glared at SinB, refusing to move. “Don’t give me attitude just because you’re upset Yerin is going on a date with Eunha,” Umji scolded.

 

SinB flushed and flung a pillow at her. “Why would I be upset over Yerin going on a date with Eunha? We aren’t dating. Wait, how do you even know they’re going on a date?”

 

“Uh, hello,” Umji said, waving a hand over her body, “I’m a nurse. There’s no way I wouldn’t have heard about it today at work.”

 

“Whatever,” SinB grumbled. “Will you sit down now?”

 

Umji sighed and sat down next to her. “What am I going to do, SinB?”

 

“Go on a date with Yuju,” SinB stated smartly and obviously, earning a slap to the arm. She rolled her eyes and revised her statement. “Stop panicking about your date with Yuju and enjoy it.”

 

“How can I when I don’t know her motives?” Umji replied sadly. “Did she ask me out just because we’re both single and haven’t dated lately? Or does she actually have interest in me?”

 

SinB softened immediately upon hearing the insecurity bleeding through Umji’s words. She wrapped her arms around her best friend and hugged her tightly. “I know you like her, Umji, so just enjoy the night for now. Worry about that tomorrow, okay?”

 

“Okay,” Umji nodded, hugging SinB back.

 

They stayed that way, until there was a knock on the door. Umji reluctantly broke away from the embrace and answered the door. She greeted Yuju with a hesitant smile and left with her, waving good-bye to SinB with solemn eyes.

 

Now that she was alone, SinB sprawled out on the couch and watched whatever drama was on. It wasn’t a very good one, making the lead girl fall in love with the ugly lead boy who was totally undeserving of her. Just as SinB was booing the ending, there was another knock at the door. She sat up and squinted at the clock. It was barely ten. She hoped it wasn’t Umji coming from a bad date without her key.

 

SinB heaved herself off the couch and went to the door. She opened it and blinked in surprise. In front of her was Yerin, dressed nicely in a tight-fitting, black dress. She tried to say something but no words would come. After a few more tries, she managed to blurt out, “Hi?”

 

“Shut up,” Yerin growled, pushing past her and into the apartment.

 

“Nice to see you too,” SinB grumbled under her breath as she closed the door. She turned to where Yerin stood now, hovering between the foyer and the living room with tension coming off of her in waves. SinB sighed and rubbed the back of her neck, asking, “What are you doing here, Yerin?”

 

“I’m here because of you,” Yerin snapped. She strode up to SinB with fury on her face but also sadness. “It’s all your fault.”

 

SinB scowled and replied sharply, “I haven’t seen you since two weeks ago when you pulled me into an on-call room. Try again. If you’re having problems, it’s not my fault.”

 

“Yes, it is!” Yerin yelled angrily, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes. “I was supposed to have this nice dinner with Eunha, my best friend who suddenly wants more. She looked beautiful, and I took her to an amazing restaurant. After dinner, she invited me back to her place, and I went. I wanted to want her so badly, but when she kissed me, all I could think of was you.”

 

“What?” SinB felt like her heart had been lodged in . She didn’t mean for this to happen. She never meant to go home with an attending, she didn’t mean to get into a co-workers with benefits with said attending, and she certainly didn’t mean to ruin things between said attending and her best friend. “Yerin, I–”

 

“Why?” Yerin cried, grabbing SinB’s arms. Her grip wasn’t hard; it was shaky and weak. It was like she was looking for an anchor. “Why you, SinB? You, who’s always so cocky and smart… But the way you hold me afterward sometimes, SinB, you can’t say it’s just me.”

 

SinB looked away and stepped out of Yerin’s hold. “What happened to me just being a hot resident that was good for stress relief?” SinB asked bitterly. She’d heard what Yerin had said about her, and it had stung. She’d been interested in Yerin for an actual relationship, until she heard what Yerin thought of her. “You’re the one who wanted to keep things casual. I took what you gave me.”

 

Yerin looked like she’d been slapped across the face. She looked away and wiped away her tears. “That’s what I kept telling myself.”

 

“Then maybe you should figure out what you actually want then, Yerin,” SinB said. She opened her door and waited. She closed her eyes sadly and whispered, “Please just leave.”

 

With her eyes still shut, SinB heard the shuffle of Yerin’s feet and the feel of Yerin’s lips brushing over hers. When Yerin was gone, she opened her eyes and shut the door. She slumped against it and finally let her tears fall.