Dodaeng

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

Doyeon had one arm slung around Yoojung’s shoulder as she raised her beer, cheering, “Congrats to Nayoung and Kyulkyung!”

 

“Does it still work if Nayoung isn’t here to receive the congratulations?” Somi asked thoughtfully, just a little more than tipsy.

 

Kyulkyung laughed and replied, “I will gladly take it for the both of us!”

 

It had been a little over a month since Doyeon had confessed to Somi, and this was the first time she’d seen her since. Doyeon would’ve thought she’d be more nervous and uncomfortable being around her now, but she wasn’t. Instead, Doyeon stayed close to Yoojung, keeping a point of contact at all times, especially when she talked to Somi.

 

“I’ll get us another round,” Yoojung offered, slipping out of Doyeon’s grasp and toward the bar.

 

Doyeon wanted to stop her, keep her there as a buffer, but then she realized that Yoojung probably left her on purpose because of that. She turned back to the other girls, grinning widely to hide her internal panic. Despite her nerves, she was having a good time. She’d missed spending time with the girls; there was a reason they’d been friends in the first place.

 

“I’ll tell you this,” Kyulkyung smirked. “The is mind-blowing.”

 

Doyeon choked on her beer while Somi howled with laughter.

 

“A lady on the streets but a freak in the sheets,” Somi managed to say between her giggles. When Doyeon and Kyulkyung groan dramatically at the saying, Somi did a little dance that was mockingly y. “Am I wrong, Kyulkyung?”

 

“Not entirely,” Kyulkyung said coyly.

 

The last thing Doyeon needed to hear about her attending was her life, so she finished off her beer quickly and excused herself to find Yoojung. She weaved her way through the Friday night crowd and found Yoojung waiting at the end of the bar for their drinks.

 

“What are you doing here?” Yoojung asked as Doyeon joined her.

 

Doyeon scrunched up her nose and said, “Kyulkyung started talking about her life, so I decided to leave before it got too much into detail.”

 

“I would’ve done the same,” Yoojung laughed at the look of disgust on Doyeon’s face. She looped her arm through hers and tugged her closer. “Are you doing okay though? You know, with the whole Somi thing.”

 

“I’m doing okay,” Doyeon told her with a reassuring smile. “Better than I thought I’d be, honestly.” Her smile widened into a grin as she added, “It helps that you’re here with me.”

 

“Of course,” Yoojung said quietly, and Doyeon sees the way Yoojung just sort of melted as she said the words. It made Doyeon want to just hug her, so she did. She had always loved the way Yoojung fit the way in her arms, how Yoojung’s head could just be gently tucked under her chin. Too soon, Yoojung pulled away and said teasingly, “Enough of that. We’re at a bar, doofus.”

 

“Is it now illegal to hug at a bar?” Doyeon laughed.

 

“Definitely,” Yoojung bobbed her head. “We’re lucky the cops didn’t catch us.” She flashed that endearingly goofy smile at Doyeon as she grabbed the drinks for the other girls. “And after I drop these off, you owe me a dance for almost getting me arrested.”

 

“It’s the least I could do,” Doyeon agreed easily. She didn’t bother going back to the table with Yoojung, instead walking out to the dance floor.

 

The music wasn’t too loud, but it had a good enough beat for Doyeon to start dancing. She swayed mindlessly and let herself get lost in the music. She’d been dancing for a while when a pair of arms wrapped around her waist. Doyeon spun around and was met with Yoojung’s beaming face.

 

“Somi said they’d join us once she gets all the dirty details out of Kyulkyung,” Yoojung told her gleefully.

 

“I don’t know why she wants to know,” Doyeon shook her head, nose wrinkling.

 

“What, you don’t think it’s interesting to know how other people are in bed?” Yoojung asked, waggling her eyebrows.

 

Doyeon laughed and replied, “Not my boss.”

 

“Nayoung isn’t technically your boss,” Yoojung pointed out.

 

“She might as well be,” Doyeon said. “Enough of that. Let me dance with my best friend. There’s no one else in the world I’d rather be with.”

 

Yoojung smiled at her. “Yeah?”

 

“Yeah,” Doyeon nodded.