Wonha

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

“Stop looking at me like that.”

 

Sowon looked away guiltily and asked, “Like what?”

 

“Like I’m going to burst into tears at any given moment.”

 

Sowon cringed and tried to watch the movie. She had invited Eunha over tonight, feeling like she’d need the extra support considering the rumors that Yerin and SinB had gotten together. The plan was currently failing because Sowon couldn’t bring herself to ask, and Eunha seemed two words away from biting off her head.

 

Sighing, Sowon paused the movie. She couldn’t take it much longer. If the night continued to be as tension-filled as it was now, Sowon wouldn’t survive.

 

“Eunha, talk to me,” Sowon said, turning to face her.

 

“Talk about what?” Eunha sassed, arms crossed over her chest as she pointedly did not look at Sowon.

 

“You’re going to make me say it?” Sowon frowned. She tentatively placed a hand on Eunha’s knee and said softly, “Everyone was talking about Yerin and SinB today.”

 

“So what?” Eunha snapped, looking at Sowon sharply.

 

Patience wearing thin, Sowon replied hotly, “So you asked Yerin out over two weeks ago, and it went terribly. You two used to be best friends, and now you won’t even look at each other. Now, the best friend you asked out then proceeded to avoid? She’s dating someone else. Don’t act like that doesn’t hurt because it would bother anyone.”

 

“What if it doesn’t bother me?”

 

Sowon stared at her for a long moment, gauging if she was telling the truth. “Why doesn’t it bother you?” Sowon asked carefully.

 

Eunha sighed and buried her face into her hands. She held out her arms, and Sowon hugged her without question. She pulled Eunha to her chest and tucked her head under her chin. She ached when she felt Eunha’s tears wet her shirt and heard her pitiful sniffles.

 

They stayed like that, until Eunha pulled away slowly, wiping away her tears.

 

“I don’t even think I liked Yerin that way,” Eunha admitted shamefully.

 

“What?”

 

Eunha looked away and picked at her nails. She sighed again and said, “We’re getting older, Sowon. There’s no way to deny it. We’re getting older, and I haven’t had a serious relationship in over two years. I feel like I’m on a deadline to find someone, and who better than my best friend to be with? Someone who knows me better than I know myself?”

 

“Oh, Eunha,” Sowon whispered, reaching out to tug Eunha into another hug. “You aren’t on some race against the clock to find someone. You’ll find someone when you find someone. It just happens, like fate.”

 

“You think it was fate for me to screw up my friendship with Yerin?” Eunha joked weakly.

 

“You didn’t screw it up,” Sowon reassured her. “If you just asked, I’m sure Yerin would love to be friends with you again. She misses you.”

 

“You think so?”

 

“Well, I don’t know her as well as you, but I’d say so.”

 

Eunha relaxed in Sowon’s hold, snuggling into her. “Thank you for everything, Sowon. I don’t know what I did to deserve you. I feel like all we do is talk about my problems.”

 

“I don’t really have any problems right now,” Sowon lied. She had the problem of falling for Eunha, but she definitely was not going to say that. “Besides, like I said, you’re a great person, and I don’t mind helping you out.” Seeing Eunha’s unsatisfied pout, she added, “When I have a problem, I’ll tell you about it.”

 

“You’d better,” Eunha grumbled.

 

Sowon smiled and unpaused the movie. Maybe when Eunha reconciled with Yerin and didn’t think she ruined their friendship, Sowon could ask her out. If she asked too soon, Eunha would say no in fear of their friendship, so Sowon was just going to have to wait. It’d be worth it.