Napink

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

Kyulkyung hovered nervously outside the residents’ lounge, waiting for someone specific to walk out. She’d checked the scheduling meticulously the previous week. She knew this person was working today and had just started her shift. Kyulkyung figured her best shot at getting the other resident to talk to her was to just surprise her enough that she couldn’t run away.

 

The door swung open, and SinB walked out with a sleepy glare on her face. Kyulkyung gulped and approached her. It was now or never.

 

“Hey,” Kyulkyung greeted nervously as she sidled up next to SinB.

 

SinB looked at her in bewilderment and replied slowly, “Hi?”

 

“Can I talk to you about something?” Kyulkyung asked, using the puppy dog eyes that melted even Stone Nayoung’s heart. “Please?”

 

SinB sighed and glanced at her watch. “Fine, but you’re buying me coffee.”

 

“Deal!” Kyulkyung agreed happily. She walked them over to the nearest coffee cart and bought them both coffee. Once they had their necessary caffeine, Kyulkyung plopped down in some chairs set up in a waiting room. SinB sat down too, still eying her curiously. “You’re probably wondering why I asked to talk to you,” Kyulkyung said with a small smile.

 

“Well, we aren’t exactly best friends,” SinB replied smartly. “What do you want, Zhou?”

 

Kyulkyung bit her bottom lip nervously before just blurting out, “How did you manage to date an attending?”

 

“Are you serious?” SinB said, squinting at her suspiciously. “Is this some accusation that I’m sleeping my way to the top?”

 

“What? No!” Kyulkyung exclaimed, confused. “I just want to know how you did it, convince an attending to date you.”

 

SinB just continued to squint at her. “Why?”

 

“Why?” Kyulkyung repeated, feeling a blush creep up her neck.

 

“Yeah,” SinB nodded slowly. “Why do you want to know?”

 

“Why do you need to know?” Kyulkyung whined.

 

“Hey, you’re the one that dragged me here to ask,” SinB rolled her eyes. “I think I’m entitled to at least know why you did it.”

 

Kyulkyung huffed and stared at SinB, trying to will her into dropping her inquiry. However, SinB just stared back blankly, absent-mindedly sipping at her coffee. Kyulkyung eventually gave up and sighed.

 

“I want to date Nayoung,” Kyulkyung admitted quietly. When SinB didn’t say anything immediately, Kyulkyung looked up and found the other resident unimpressed and sipping from her coffee. “Well, say something.”

 

“Good for you?” SinB drawled sarcastically, wincing when Kyulkyung hit her shoulder. “Geez, what do I have to do with this?”

 

“Nayoung and Yerin are attendings, and we’re residents,” Kyulkyung spelled it out for her. Ugh, maybe this wasn’t going to be as useful as she’d thought it’d be. “I think Nayoung might not want to date me because of the whole position of authority thing.” When SinB just stared at her, Kyulkyung resisted the urge to strangle her and added, “How is Yerin okay with dating you?”

 

SinB frowned a little then shrugged. “I don’t know. We were just sleeping with each other at first, so there wasn’t really a relationship for feelings to be an issue, you know? Then when we started dating, Yerin realized I was who she wanted to date, so I guess screw the consequences?” SinB shook her head and huffed. “Just keep your personal lives personal and it should be fine.”

 

Kyulkyung could only stare at her incredulously for a long moment before dramatically slumping in her seat. “You’re no help,” Kyulkyung told her sulkily.

 

SinB downed the rest of her coffee and stood up. She gave Kyulkyung a pitying look and said, “Yeah, well beggars can’t be choosers, Zhou. Just woman up and ask her out.”

 

Kyulkyung fought the urge to flip her off as SinB walked away. Instead, she just sipped moodily at her coffee. That was the last time she bought coffee for her.

 

“What’s with the look?”

 

Kyulkyung looked up in surprise as Nayoung sat down next to her.

 

“Do I need to hurt whoever put that look on your face?” Nayoung joked.

 

“Yeah, go beat up Hwang for me,” Kyulkyung replied, only half kidding.

 

Amusingly enough, Nayoung immediately shook her head. “And incur the wrath of Yerin? No way.”

 

“I’m not worth fighting for?” Kyulkyung pouted.

 

“Have you ever seen Yerin pissed?” Nayoung asked. When Kyulkyung shook her head, Nayoung sighed and smiled knowingly. “Well, be thankful you haven’t. Yerin can be an ungodly terror when she wants to be.”

 

“Noted,” Kyulkyung nodded.

 

Nayoung took Kyulkyung’s coffee from her and took a sip. “So, what did Hwang do to get on your nerves?”

 

Fighting off a blush, Kyulkyung lied, “Just tried to be friendly and ask about her and Jung. She’s so oblivious.”

 

“It’s her more endearing trait,” Nayoung smiled, and Kyulkyung fought down the urge to glare in jealousy. Nayoung clearly meant that platonically, especially since she mentioned pissing off Jung wasn’t worth it. Nonetheless, it made Kyulkyung’s crawl with envy. “She’s a good person though. We should go out with her and Yerin some time.”

 

“What?” Kyulkyung said, confused. That almost sounded like a double date.

 

“Yeah,” Nayoung nodded, like she hadn’t just suggested something potentially romantic. “It doesn’t hurt to get to know your co-workers. They’re good people. I’ll talk to Yerin about it.”

 

“Uhhhh.”

 

Nayoung looked at her watch. “Oh, I’ve got a surgery soon I have to prep for.” She handed Kyulkyung her coffee back and patted her head as she stood up. “Later, Kyulkyung.”

 

Kyulkyung watched her go, feeling just as frustrated as she had when it’d been SinB leaving. Honestly, what the hell.