Sechung

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

Sejeong was waiting outside the restaurant restlessly, wondering who would show up first, Chungha or her mother. She really hoped it would be Chungha.

 

Don’t get her wrong. Sejeong loved her mother, but they had trouble seeing eye-to-eye sometimes. When Sejeong had been younger, they got along great. Her mother was an adventurous, lively spirit just like Sejeong. Except Sejeong went to medical school and became a surgeon. She partied less and studied more, and her mother had been less than pleased. Then Sejeong became an attending and went out even less, and her mother disapproved even more.

 

“You’ll look back on your life and all you will have done is spend your time in that hospital,” her mother had said the last time she’d been in town.

 

Her mother was right, of course. Sejeong rarely went anywhere that wasn’t the hospital nowadays. She didn’t mind though. She loved her job. She loved saving lives. Besides, it wasn’t like she didn’t have friends at the hospital.

 

Speaking of, Sejeong smiled and waved as she saw Chungha. Chungha looked stunning in fitted slacks with a lace top and heels. It somehow made Sejeong feel underdressed in her multi-hundred dollar dress.

 

“Look at you,” Chungha said as a greeting as she walked up to her. She grabbed Sejeong’s hand and made her do a little twirl. “You never got this dressed up for your mom in the past. You must be expecting quite the lecture.”

 

Blushing at the truth in the statement, Sejeong laughed and rubbed at the back of her neck. “I’m fully expecting my mother to spend the next two hours telling me I’m doing my life wrong.”

 

“I’m sure it won’t be that bad,” Chungha tried to comfort her, rubbing a hand over her back. “Your mom cares is all.”

 

“Cares too much,” Sejeong mumbled. She sighed as she spotted her mother by the valet. “Here we go.” She walked to meet her mother, putting on a bright smile. “Hi, mom!”

 

“Hello, Sejeong,” Mrs. Kim said warmly as she hugged her daughter tightly. She pulled away and was surprised to see someone else with her. “Chungha, what a surprise. How are you doing, dear?”

 

“I’m doing well, thank you,” Chungha replied politely. “You look lovely, Mrs. Kim.”

 

“I always knew I liked you,” Mrs. Kim laughed. “Not that it’s not great to see you, but what are you doing here?”

 

Sejeong flushed and spoke up, “Well, I invited her, mom.”

 

“Are you that afraid of what I have to say?” Mrs. Kim said, quirking an eyebrow.

 

Saving Sejeong, Chungha said, “It’s been so long since I’ve seen you, Mrs. Kim, that I asked if I could tag along.”

 

Mrs. Kim looked unconvinced but dropped the subject in favor of walking into the restaurant. As they walked in, Mrs. Kim politely asked both women how their work was, any interesting cases lately, and in turn, the women inquired about how Mrs. Kim’s work was doing.

 

It was after they placed their orders that Mrs. Kim asked sweetly, “How is your love life doing, Sejeong?”

 

Both Sejeong and Chungha choked on the wine they’d been drinking. Sejeong was sure it was because they both didn’t want her mother prying into their private lives, but it was happening whether they liked it or not.

 

“I’ve been sort of seeing someone,” Sejeong admitted, dabbing away the wine she’d let dribble when she’d choked. “I was actually supposed to go out with her tonight but I rescheduled to see you.”

 

Mrs. Kim paused, glancing at Chungha who was studiously staring down at her empty plate. She pressed her lips together then asked, “Why didn’t you bring her instead of Chungha? No offense to you, Chungha, but you can see where I’m coming from.”

 

“Of course,” Chungha agreed easily. “I didn’t ask because I assumed it wasn’t my business.”

 

“Aish, we’re not that serious yet,” Sejeong defended herself. “We’ve only been seeing each other a few weeks, too early to meet the parents.”

 

“Then tell me about her,” Mrs. Kim challenged.

 

“Fine,” Sejeong replied hotly. “Her name is Chaeyeon Jung, and she’s a nurse at the hospital.”

 

“A nurse?” Mrs. Kim repeated with an amused smile, glancing at Chungha once again who was pretending not to listen to the conversation.

 

“Yes, a nurse,” Sejeong sighed. “What’s wrong with her being a nurse? Chungha is a nurse, and you like her just fine.”

 

“You’re right,” Mrs. Kim hummed. “I do like Chungha.” She turned fully to the woman in question. “And you dear? Are you seeing anyone?”

 

Chungha smiled tightly, fingers drumming on the edge of the table. “Not at the moment, no.”

 

“That’s a shame,” Mrs. Kim said before turning to her daughter. “Sejeong, why don’t you set up Chungha with one of your friends?”

 

“What?” Sejeong and Chungha said at the same time.

 

“It’s a shame for such a beautiful woman to be single,” Mrs. Kim explained. She grinned and added, “Unless there’s a reason you aren’t dating anyone, Chungha?”

 

Sejeong turned and waited for Chungha to say it was because she wasn’t interested in anyone. Except she didn’t. Instead, Chungha looked away from both Kims and said nothing.

 

“Chungha?” Sejeong probed. “Just tell my mom there isn’t anyone you want to date right now.”

 

“What if there is?” Chungha countered, snapping her head to glare at Sejeong.

 

“Really?” Sejeong said. “I know we haven’t been a speaking terms for a while, but we’ve been texting the past few days. Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“You weren’t on speaking terms?” Mrs. Kim butted in, intrigue clear in her voice and apparent on her face. “How come?”

 

“Not that it’s any of your business, but Chungha was dealing with some things,” Sejeong rolled her eyes.

 

Mrs. Kim scoffed. “I’ve known Chungha for four years, ever since you introduced her to me when I visited you at the hospital. I see her at least once every time I visit. I think it’s at least a little bit of my business. Did she ever tell you what she was dealing with?”

 

“She doesn’t have to if she doesn’t want to,” Sejeong replied. She turned to her friend, but Chungha was back to not meeting her eye. “Chungha…”

 

“I’m sorry, but you’ll have to excuse me,” Chungha said, suddenly standing. “I’m not feeling well and I’d hate to put a damper on the evening. Please enjoy yourselves. Mrs. Kim, it was lovely seeing you again. Feel free to call me if you’d like to see me again before you leave.” With that, she walked away from the table faster than someone who was feeling ill should have been able to. She also left without saying good-bye to Sejeong.

 

“Look at what you did,” Sejeong said accusingly toward her mother.

 

“Look at what I did?” Mrs. Kim smirked. “No, dear, that was all you.”

 

It took every ounce of Sejeong’s willpower not to storm out after Chungha.