Dodaeng

Seoul Grace Hospital

 

Yoojung was about one sad break-up song away from flinging herself off her apartment building’s roof.

 

It’d been almost two weeks since Doyeon’s confession to and consequent avoidance of Somi. Yoojung had been sympathetic the first week, fulfilling her best friend duty as one should, but by week two she was running out of patience. Usually, Yoojung was way more patient with Doyeon and she was one of the most sympathetic toward heartbreak. However, Doyeon was really testing her.

 

Doyeon just wanted to sulk on the couch with bad movies and ice cream when she wasn’t working? Yoojung bought her a pint of a new flavor every night. Doyeon wanted to blast depressing songs twenty-four/seven? Yoojung wore earplugs. Doyeon kept crawling into Yoojung’s bed at night for sad cuddling? Yoojung just held her and tried to sleep.

 

The line had to be drawn somewhere though, and Yoojung drew it when Doyeon wanted to cut off all her hair and repaint her room. Yoojung could see where cutting hair could be therapeutic, but no. Doyeon was really vain about her hair and had been growing it out for years and just said last month that she liked the length it was. As for the room, well they were only renting this apartment and their landlord would not like it if Doyeon went on a splatter paint spree.

 

So one day after work, Yoojung sat Doyeon down on the couch without her usual ice cream and forbid her from turning on the TV.

 

“What are we doing then?” Doyeon asked.

 

“We are talking,” Yoojung replied vaguely as she plopped down next to Doyeon on the couch. “You like talking, right?”

 

“You just want to hear my voice, don’t you?” Doyeon teased.

 

Yoojung rolled her eyes, but she relieved to see Doyeon make a joke. She jokingly stuck out her tongue then replied, “We both know you love to hear yourself talk, so don’t try to blame your talkativeness on me.”

 

“I could talk to you for forever,” Doyeon smiled, hugging Yoojung to her side, “but is there a reason you’ve banned the TV?”

 

Yoojung shrugged and said, “It’s been a while since we’ve just talked, don’t you think?”

 

“You’re right,” Doyeon nodded excitedly. “It’s time to catch up with each other! Have you gone on any dates lately?”

 

“What, no?” Yoojung sputtered, refraining from pointing out that she’d been with Doyeon every night for the past two weeks. “I’m not interested in dating anyone right now.”

 

“No one?” Doyeon prodded. She leaned in impossibly close to Yoojung, only to be pushed away by a blushing Yoojung. “Oh come on. No need to act shy. You’d be a great girlfriend. Anyone would be lucky to date you.”

 

Yoojung snorted at the irony and retorted dryly, “You’re an idiot.”

 

“Your idiot,” Doyeon countered with an all too charming grin.

 

“You’re in a better mood,” Yoojung noted curiously, unable to keep her observation to herself. This was a vast improvement from the Doyeon from yesterday. “Did something happen?”

 

“I just thought a lot about it,” Doyeon answered seriously, “and I decided I wasn’t going to let this bring me down anymore. One girl isn’t going to do this to me anymore. I am a kickass surgeon. I save lives! I can save my own.”

 

Yoojung smiled fondly, “Yes, you can.” Her smile lessened slightly as she asked, “Have you talked to Somi at all?”

 

“I was hoping to have you as a buffer,” Doyeon admitted sheepishly. “Maybe invite her over for dinner one day? Would that be okay with you?”

 

“Of course,” Yoojung said. “We should invite Kyulkyung too.”

 

“She might be busy,” Doyeon laughed. When Yoojung quirked an eyebrow, Doyeon explained, “Kyulkyung is constantly freaking out about Nayoung. Apparently Nayoung mentioned something that sounded like a double date, so Kyulkyung has been hanging onto every word Nayoung’s said to figure out her intentions. Unfortunately for us, this means Kyulkyung won’t make any plans that could possibly interfere with her maybe double date with Nayoung.”

 

“Oh Kyulkyung,” Yoojung giggled. “What are we going to do with her?”

 

“Support her and her oh so confusing roommate,” Doyeon replied with a grin. “Thanks for not being confusing.”

 

Yoojung grinned, “You’re welcome.” She purposely didn’t say it back and got up to grab some snacks. Predictably, Doyeon followed after her with wide eyes and a pout. “Can I help you?” Yoojung asked playfully, trying hard not to just burst into laughter.

 

“Tell me I’m not confusing,” Doyeon said.

 

“Why should I lie to you?” Yoojung replied and lost it at the overexaggerated devastation on Doyeon’s face. She laughed so hard she had to hunch over, gasping for air. When she recovered, Doyeon looked anything but amused, so Yoojung pulled her into a hug. “I’m sorry,” Yoojung cooed. “You’re the best roommate ever.”

 

“Just a roommate?”

 

Yoojung grinned and revised, “Best friend ever.” She laughed as Doyeon caved and hugged her back tightly, the two of them swaying back and forth in an embrace.

 

“What am I going to do when someone steals your heart away from me?” Doyeon asked.

 

Yoojung sighed to herself and murmured, “I don’t think you’ll have to worry about that.”