Chapter 40| The Subtleties of Aristocracy

Affair | OSH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N: It's my first year anniversary on AFF! Here's a chapter for y'all to celebrate!)

"Hello class, it seems like we have another new student joining us today," the teacher spoke, causing everyone to tense in surprise start whispering excitedly. I glanced back to see Sehun's small smile as his eyes gleamed excitedly. I had yet to meet this Joohyun girl and from what Sehun described, she seemed like a fun person. 

I glanced back to the front of the class and managed to catch Taehyung's eyes. He sent me a grin and a wink and I smiled, rolling my eyes. Our small interaction didn't go unnoticed and I felt several pairs of eyes glaring at me, but I ignored it. I decided yesterday, after catching up with Jin and Taehyung and having the most fun I'd had in a while, and after Taeyeon gave me that warning, that I wasn't going to pay attention to those rumours. 

What people said about me was their own business, and it seemed as if a lot of the rich kids here had nothing better to do but talk about others, so I wasn't going to pay them any mind.

The door opened and my eyes widened as Joohyun stepped in. She was beautiful, with delicate doll-like features, skin like ivory and long brown hair. Several of the boys in my class began whispering and whistling excitedly while she merely smiled sweetly, eyes scanning the room before landing on the boy behind me. Her smile widened before her eyes landed on me. 

A shot of uneasiness cut through the shock and ran down my spine as her eyebrows furrowed briefly. Her eyes seemed to stare into the depths of my soul, analysing me like a statistical report. Her face then broke into a friendly smile and I blinked, returning it hesitantly. 

'So this is Sehun's childhood friend... she's pretty, that's for sure.'

"Hello everyone! My name is Bae Joohyun. It's nice to meet you all. Please take care of me!" she bowed and many of the boys cheered, while some girls glared and others looked excited. The class fell silent, however, when she suddenly made her way over, gaze directly on me as she approached my table. I frowned warily. "Hi! You're Kim Areum, right? Sehun's fiancé?"

I blinked blankly before nodding slowly, conscious of the stares of everyone here. It was the second time a new student had something to do with me. "Uh, yes, I am. Can I... help you?"

Her smile widened. "I'm Sehun's childhood friend, you see, and since I'm comfortable around him, I was wondering if I could trade seats with you and sit here," she gave me what resembled puppy-dog eyes and a small, friendly grin. "I'd really appreciate it, Areum-ssi. I'd feel so much better if I had someone I knew who could show me around the place and help me get settled in..."

Silence filled the room as everyone tensed. It was no secret that I was dating Sehun, so everyone was watching curiously as to how I'd react. Apprehension and unease tugged at my stomach. 'Is she trying to guilt-trip me?'

I bit my lip, uncertain about how to respond. She seemed friendly, and I didn't want to purposely cause her discomfort or deny her a chance to settle in easier. And it was just a seat, after all, not like I was selling Sehun's soul to her. But on the other hand...

I glanced at Sehun for an answer, but he didn't seem sure either. He blinked, as if conflicted, before glancing at me. 'It's up to you...' his eyes seemed to say. I wanted to roll my eyes. That wasn't much help. I frowned, noticing Taeyeon, Taehyung and Kai's concerned stares before turning back to Joohyun, who was waiting patiently with that knowing smile on her face, as if she already knew my answer. I shrugged.

"I gues-"

"Wait," Taehyung stood up suddenly, cutting me off and surprising everyone in the room. Everyone's attention automatically turned to him as he gave Joohyun a charming smile in return. I guess Joohyun wasn't the only one who'd predicted my answer. "I'm sorry, Joohyun-ssi. I'm a new student here too, you see, and since Areum here is also my childhood friend, I also feel more comfortable around her and would like her to stay close as possible, if that's alright with you."

Joohyun's eyes widened as if she were caught off guard. Sehun seemed to tense as he glanced at the brown-haired boy, eyeing him carefully. My own eyes widened as I stared at Taehyung. He glanced over and caught my eye. 

'What are you doing?!' I asked mentally, frowning. He shrugged infinitesimally. 

'I'm helping you,' his eyes seemed to say back before turning back to Joohyun and giving her a pleasant smile. The latter's eyes shifted towards me for a brief second as something flashed across her eyes, before she smiled at Taehyung again. 

"I understand, Taehyung-ssi, but it seems like we've reached a bit of a-"

"It's fine," I stood up this time, sending Taehyung a strange look. "It's not as if I'm moving to an entirely different class or anything. If you need help, Tae, I'll still be here. I hope you settle in well, Joohyun-ssi." I gave her a nod and she gave me a grateful smile. 

"Thank you, Areum-ssi," she bowed briefly. A strange, almost smug look flashed in her eyes before disappearing just as quickly, leaving me to wonder if it was really there.  'Was it just me, or...actually, nevermind.' 

Feeling a little bit irritated and troubled, for a reason I couldn't quite put my finger on, I grabbed my stuff and moved, briefly catching eyes with my boyfriend. He frowned apologetically at me and I shook my head, as if saying 'it's fine', before approaching the only empty desk on the other side of the classroom. I could feel Taehyung's eyes staring at me from behind, but I ignored it. I felt a bit bad, but I decided I'd make it up to him later. 

Class resumed normally. I had to admit, it felt a bit odd sitting alone on the other side of the classroom. For one, I no longer had a window I could gaze out anymore. The window next to me only showed the corridor, which was not interesting at all. Sighing, I tried to focus on the lesson, but my eyes continued to stray over to where Sehun and Joohyun were sitting. She was constantly turning around and whispering excitedly to him, which naturally brought a stab of irritation to my chest. I forced it down, however, reminding myself that Joohyun was Sehun's childhood friend and had known him for a lot longer than I had. 

Sehun seemed amused at her comments, but he appeared distracted. He occasionally glanced over to where I was sitting, but I always looked away, pretending to be engrossed in taking notes. 

When class ended, I noticed Joohyun go up to the teacher and quietly ask her something. I saw the both of them glance in my direction and the teacher nodded. Joohyun smiled and thanked her and then left, shooting me a small grin on her way out. The teacher proceeded to call out my name. "Is everything alright, Ms Jang?" I asked, approaching her desk, feeling a bit apprehensive. 

"Yes, Areum-ssi, don't worry. You're not in trouble or anything," she laughed and winked. "Joohyun-ssi just asked before if you'd be willing to be her tour guide around the school - a buddy or friend, if you will, someone she can approach if she needs help."

I blinked in confusion. Wasn't that whole fuss about moving seats just before about Joohyun being able to sit near Sehun so he could answer any questions and help her out? 'Why does she want me to...'

I realised the teacher was staring at me for my reaction and I hastily nodded. "Ah, yeah, that's totally fine... I'd be happy to show her around."

I decided I'd worry about it later.  Giving the teacher a bow, I left the classroom, only to collide with what felt like a solid wall. I stumbled back only to have a pair of strong arms wrap around my frame, steadying me. I blinked, looking up to see Taehyung's sparkling brown eyes grinning down at me. 

"Watch your step, princess," he said, slowly letting me go. I blinked.'Why do those words sound familiar?'

"What are you doing here?" I asked, looking around. No one else was around. 

"Waiting for you," he replied as we began walking to the cafeteria. "I met that boyfriend of yours, by the way. He seems like an interesting fellow."

I raised an eyebrow. "Interesting?"

"He's very, uh, how to say... cool," Taehyung acknowledged. "The kind of guy you'd find in shoujo anime and cliché k-dramas."

I snorted, amused. "I'm glad you think so."

"He's not as charming as I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter