Chapter 28| Surprise Party

Affair | OSH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N: Hey guys! I recently remembered this song after hearing it on the radio the other day. It's 'True Love' by Pink and I think it fits Sehun and Areum's relationship perfectly because let's be honest, their relationship isn't perfect. But despite that, it's a really catchy song and I love it! I recommend you guys go check it out and listen to it!)

"I'll kinda miss that brat," Sehun commented as he and Areum were on their way home from dropping off Jaehyun. The child had been ecstatic to see his mother but when it came to saying goodbye to the two teenagers, he'd been quite reluctant and teary-eyed.

Areum glanced at the blonde in amusement. "I thought you said you didn't like kids."

"I don't, but I guess I can make an exception. He wasn't as annoying as I thought he'd be," Sehun kept his eyes on the road ahead of him, not meeting Areum's raised eyebrow. The girl chuckled, shaking her head. A smile crept onto her lips as she felt her fiancé's hand intertwine with hers. As she looked out the window of the car, she knew Sehun's expression mirrored hers.

**********************

It was Sehun's birthday soon. In two days, actually, on upcoming Saturday. The Oh group were throwing a massive party on that day, with the Kim's, along with many other powerful families, invited. It was a celebration of the Oh Group's only heir finally turning 18. 

Despite knowing this, Areum still wanted to do something for the soon-to-be-18 blonde. She knew that the party would be filled with Sehun having to socialise and chat with people he didn't care about or know particularly well. It'd be the same as any other high-class social event they attended - definitely not anything fun or exciting. 

So, with this in mind, Areum was currently in the kitchen, once again baking a cake. After asking Kai, she'd learnt that while he wasn't particularly fond of dessert, he had a weakness for chocolate. She decided to make a multi-layered devil's chocolate cake filled with layers of raspberry creme and chocolate mousse and topped with dark chocolate and hazelnut ganache. It was going to be challenging, even for a talented baker like her, which was why she'd asked Kyungsoo to help her while Sehun was out at a business meeting. 

 

"I'm amazed at the amount of effort you are putting into this," Kyungsoo commented quietly as he stepped into the kitchen, taking in the mess that was sprawled across the kitchen. Areum grinned sheepishly, flour smeared across her face. 

"I wanted it to be special. We're aristocrats - we've been surrounded by wealth since birth. Expensive and extravagant gifts won't hold any meaning to him," Areum shrugged. "I thought that this at least would hold more meaning."

A small, knowing smile spread across Kyungsoo's face as he watched her awkwardly fidget, as if second-guessing her decision. 

"It... won't seem stupid, right?" she asked nervously. "I-"

"It's a good idea," Kyungsoo interrupted, rolling up his sleeves and walking towards the sink to wash his hands. "You're right. Sehun's been surrounded by wealth since birth - anything he wants he can just buy himself. This, to him, will be infinitely better."

Areum smiled in relief at his words. "I'm glad you think so."

"You must care for him a lot to do this for him though."

Areum froze. She opened to protest, her face flushing pink, but at Kyungsoo's small and knowing smile, she stopped herself. With a bashful expression, she looked away and nodded.

"I guess I do."

Kyungsoo wasn't like Baekhyun. He didn't jump up, scream in joy or demand more details. He merely smiled quietly and nodded, giving her space. What she'd said satisfied him enough - she cared for Sehun and that was all that mattered. Maybe that was why Areum wasn't afraid to be so open to him. 

"That's good to hear. Now, what do you need me to do?" Areum glanced at him thankfully for changing the subject and cleared , shaking off her previous embarrassment. 

"Ah yes, could you please begin the raspberry creme? It needs to refrigerate for at least 2 hours so it'll take a bit of time." With a nod, Kyungsoo set out with his given task. 

Kyungsoo wasn't the most talkative person. He preferred working in silence and disliked idle chatter. This suited Areum as a companionable silence descended upon the two, broken only by the sounds of their cooking.

"When are you planning on giving this to him?" The boy finally broke the silence. Areum almost jumped in surprise - she'd been so engrossed in making sure the cake batter was perfect that she almost forgot he was there.

"Oh... I was thinking of getting everyone together tomorrow for a mini surprise-party of sorts," she replied. "I've already asked Tae, Baekhyun and Chanyeol. They've all said that they're free tomorrow. I'm just worried that because of the short notice, other's won't be. I mean, holidays are almost over, so people might be busy. What about you? Are you able to come?"

"Kai and I were planning on going to the gym tomorrow, but we should definitely be able to make it," He replied, hiding a smile. Of course, Areum had something else up her sleeve too. Admittedly, she wasn't as close to Kyungsoo as she was some of the other boys, but he still admired her quiet thoughtfulness - the kind where she didn't need the other's acknowledgement or gratitude to feel satisfied. 

"Excellent. That just leaves Junmyeon," she frowned unsurely. "I think he said something about having a business meeting-"

"It was cancelled," Kyungsoo told her. "He was ranting to me about it the other day - something about the businessman he was supposed to be meeting with being in hospital with a broken leg."

Areum blinked. "Oh...well, I guess that's good news for us... not so much for the businessman."

"Definitely not for the businessman," he agreed. "Is this ready, do you think?"

He held out the bowl of thick, fluffy and slightly pink creme, dotted with pureed raspberries. She tried some and tilted her head.

"It's good. Could you please cover it with glad wrap and put it in the fridge?"

"Yeah,"

"Thanks for coming to help me today," she said, giving him a bright smile. "I really needed it. I didn't realise how hard this recipe was."

Kyungsoo smiled back. "You're welcome. Is there anything else you want me to do?"

She grinned, "Could you please pour this batter into the cake tins and put them into the oven? I've already preheated it so you don't need to worry about that. I need to start the mousse and then roast the hazelnuts for the ganache."

 

***********************

And so, almost 2 and a half hours later, Kyungsoo and Areum sat in the living room with cups of tea, the cake and all its other parts chilling in the fridge, ready to be assembled tomorrow.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Areum rolled her eyes. 

"This idiot never uses his key," she grumbled, standing up to open the door. Kyungsoo grinned in amusement. He knew why Sehun never used his key - an idiot could figure it out. 

"Kyungsoo? What are you doin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter