Chapter 13| The Past

Affair | OSH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

******Areum's POV******

It was Saturday night and Sehun's parents had invited us to dinner with them. It was a casual affair, just a normal family having dinner together for once, but still, I felt nervous. After all, it was with my future parents-in-law, also known as the CEOs of one of the biggest companies in Korea.

I stood in front of the mirror, tugging on my jacket uncertainly. I wore a navy blazer with the sleeves ending at my elbows, a simple white shirt and black jeans, my hair in a messy bun. Blue flats adorned my feet. Sehun was waiting for me outside our room impatiently.

"Hurry up, Areum!" He called through the door. "We're going to be late!"

Sighing, I grabbed my phone and stuffed it into my pocket before heading out. "I won't need anything other than my phone, right?" I asked anxiously. Sehun rolled his eyes, grabbing my shoulders and steering me out the door.

"I swear to God, stop fretting," he huffed, shoving me out the door. I glared at him.

"It's not my fault that you forgot to tell me we were meeting with your parents 10 minutes before we were supposed to leave," I retorted, crossing my arms. "A little warning next time would be nice. I need to mentally prepare for these sorts of things."

Sehun just rolled his eyes again, choosing not to respond. We took Sehun's car and drove for 10 minutes, finally arriving at the massive mansion known as the Oh residence. The modern architecture was illuminated by LED lights on the floor, the fountain in the front garden beautifully crafted out of pure white marble - the sort of luxury both Sehun and I grew up with. 

The gate automatically opened for Sehun's car and he parked in the front garden, where there was plenty of space for cars and limos. We stepped out and Sehun led me to the front door. I had been here before, during the week before we moved in together, but those visits had been brief and a long time ago. 

"Ah, Mister Oh, Miss Kim," A servant dressed in uniform bowed as we entered the front door. 

"Sehun! Areum! You're here!" Mrs Oh hurried down the steps, smiling widely. She looked elegant as always, dressed in a casual salmon pink dress and hair in a curled bun. Behind her was Mr Oh, not in a formal suit for once, but dressed in a dress shirt and black slacks.  He gave us a casual wink and I suddenly noticed that he looked a lot younger. In fact, both of them did when in casual clothing. Mr Oh had the same sharp, handsome features that Sehun had, but Sehun's were more delicate, taking after his mother slightly. Both parents looked a lot less stressed, almost like a normal family rather than one of the most powerful CEOs in Korea. 

"Mum, dad," Sehun nodded, seeming to relax and warm up at the sight of his parents. I bowed politely. 

"Mr Oh, Mrs Oh," I greeted politely before the petite woman waved it off. 

"No need to be so formal, Areum! You're going to be our daughter-in-law in a few months, so just call us by our names," she insisted, giving me a tight hug. "Welcome to our humble estate."

I smiled at her choice of words and she gave me a cheeky wink. "Dinner will be ready at 7, so Sehun, why don't you go show Areum your old room?" She suggested. Sehun nodded and was about to grab my hand before there was a patter of paws on wood and a small, white dog came padding up to me, tail wagging furiously. My eyes turned to hearts as I bent down, holding out my hand.

"Aww! He's so cute! Is this Vivi?" I squealed, scratching the dog behind the ears. Sehun grinned happily and bent down too, letting out a small whistle. 

"Hey boy, I haven't seen you in ages," he cooed, ruffling the dog's hair fondly. "Areum, meet Vivi, the one and only best dog in the world. Vivi, meet Areum, my crazy and weird- fiance."

"Hey!" I knock sehun on the head gently. "I'm not crazy nor weird. I'm unique."

He rolled his eyes before standing up, brushing off his hands as Vivi trotted off, tail wagging in a satisfied manner. "Yeah right. Come on. My room is this way."

He led me upstairs and then down a hallway. My eyes scanned the walls, where numerous photo frames hung. "This is my room."

He turned around to see me standing in a particularly large photo frame. I could see Sehun's mum and dad, happily smiling with a younger Sehun, around nine or ten years old standing in front of them with his mother's hand on his shoulder. On other occasions, I might have taken the time to laugh and tease hm about how adorable he looked when he was young, but this time my attention was focussed on the boy standing next to Sehun. He was around sixteen or seventeen and smiling brightly like the others in the photo. He looked alarmingly like Sehun, with similar sharp, handsome features. The only clear difference was the and the small scar on the mysterious boy's cheek. I frowned in confusion, knowing that I'd never seen that boy before yet certain that Sehun was an only child. 

"Ah, so you saw, huh?" Sehun came over and stood next to me, staring at the picture with a strange, almost melancholy, nostalgic look in his eyes. "That's a family portrait taken eight years ago with me, my parents and my brother... Sechul."

My eyes widened. "You have a brother...?"

The blonde boy grimanced slightly. "Yeah... I rarely see him nowadays. We used to be really close, but then..." He trailed off, sighing and rubbing his neck. 

"Wait, if he's older than you, then how come you are inheriting the company?" I asked curiously. "Usually it's the eldest, isn't it...?"

Sehun nodded. "Yeah, usually it is, but he and my dad aren't on the best terms... A few years ago, dad decided to name me the heir instead. Sechul was furious and left... we barely see him these days, but I'm pretty sure he's coming today, actually. Mum was heartbroken when he left and kept begging him to come back, but Sechul hates dad... and me too, probably."

There was a hint of sadness in his eyes. I raised an eyebrow in shock. "How come there the media don't know about this? Surely this would have been huge."

"My dad...," he sighed again. "When you find out your eldest son involved in the black market and selling and doing drugs... it's not exactly something you want the whole world to know. Before he named me heir, the two of us weren't really well known to the media - dad wanted us to live relatively normal lives away from all the drama. So my dad paid the media to shut up about it, and since we weren't widely known, it disappeared pretty quickly."

I looked back at the photo. The four of them were all smiling so happily, like as if nothing was wrong with the world. I frowned, feeling slightly sympathetic for Sehun. "And I'm guessing the fact that your dad named you heir caused a bit of tension between you two?"

Sehun gave a bitter laugh. "A bit? He's resented me ever since. I...I was never interested in being CEO, but Sechul wanted it so badly, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter