Chapter 24 | The Nephew

Affair | OSH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm going to miss you," Elodie held my hand tightly. I smiled as she wrapped her arms around me. 

"I'm going to miss you too," I replied, patting her back. We were at the airport, about to check in for our flight. Elodie and her dad had come to see us off. I hesitated. There was one last thing I needed to tell her before we left.

"Hey, Elodie, I need to tell you something," I paused and she shook her head, a small, tired smile on her face. 

"You and Sehun are engaged, I know," she interrupted, looking at the floor. I froze. "Sehun told me while you were unconscious in the hospital."

I opened my mouth but no words came out. What was I supposed to say? "I'm sorry..."

She shook her head again. "Don't apologise. Sehun explained why you couldn't tell me. There are no hard feelings," she grinned and patted me on the shoulder. "It's a shame my first crush turned out this way, but I don't regret it. I always knew in the back of my mind that it'd never work out anyway, so it wasn't really a surprise. He was always looking at you, even when I was right in front of him."

At her words, my cheeks flushed. I nodded, feeling both relieved and still slightly guilty. "We'll still keep in touch, right?"

"Oh yeah definitely. I expect a call as soon as you guys arrive in Korea," she giggled. "I might even come visit you if I have time. Now go. Sehun's waiting for you."

My cheeks turned red as she winked. I waved one last time before heading off. A smile swept across my face. Our stay in America had been like a rollercoaster. The contract between the three companies had been signed and successful, I'd made a new friend, nearly lost my life and even had my first kiss.

As I caught eyes with Sehun from across the departure lounge, my smile widened. 

*****A few weeks later*****

Things had finally returned to normal. My bruises healed and the scratch on my head faded. My relationship with Sehun was, surprisingly, normal as ever. He said nothing about the kiss and so neither did I. It was still awkward at times, frustratingly so, and I often found myself blushing around him to the point where even Taeyeon suspected something. There were also the subtle glances, the brief touches and the hidden smiles whenever we were around each other. Ever since I'd realised my feelings for him, my heart never failed to speed up whenever he entered the room or came near me.

This boy was not good for my health. But I couldn't help it - it was addictive. 

Winter was finally here and the days were now filled with bitterly cold winds, rain and colds. Winter holidays were soon upon us and to say there was an excited buzz around the school would be accurate. I was on my way to school when I received a call. To my surprise, it was my cousin, Jaeun. She was older than me by 13 years and was married to another business owner when she was 23. 

"Hello?" I held the phone between my shoulder and my ear as I rushed out of my car, shivering at the biting wind. "Jaeun? What's up?"

"Areum-ah! How's it going?" Her chirpy voice greeted through the speaker. 

"I'm good."

"And how's Sehun? Have you two made any progress?" Even her voice was suggestive. I groaned, face turning red. 

"Jaeun!"

"Haha, I'm just kidding. Kids these days, so easily embarrassed," she giggled. I scowled even though she couldn't see my face. 

"Ah yes, I forgot you're already 30. Sometimes I think you're still a teenager from the way you act."

"Harsh, Areum. Harsh. Anyway, I need a favour from you!" Cautious, I narrowed my eyes. You could never tell when it came to my cousin. She once asked me to drive all the way to Busan to go shopping with her at this newly opened shopping centre. As you've seen from all my past shopping experiences, this one did not go well.

"What sort of favour?" I asked suspiciously. She laughed. 

"Don't worry, it doesn't involve spaghetti this time!" I glared at the phone screen. 

"You promised to never bring that up ever again!"

"Oh, hush. It was too funny to forget. But anyway! I need you to look after Jaehyun for me for a few weeks. You're on winter break now, aren't you?" Jaehyun was her five-year-old son and my adorable nephew. 

I blinked. "What do you mean look after? And why me? Can't you get Aunt and Uncle to look after him for you?"

"Mom and dad are in Europe, enjoying the lovely summer weather there, and I need to go on a business trip for a week and a half in Busan. I don't want to take him with me - you know him, he hates travelling and the cold weather. Can he please stay with you while I'm gone?" she pleaded. "You know how much he loves you! And you'd be saving me a whole heap of trouble!"

Pursing my lips, I sighed. "Fine. But I'll have to ask Sehun if he's okay with it, otherwise, he'll have to stay at my parents' place. "

"Oh yes, go ask your hubby! Tell him it'll be a good experience for when you two have kids in the future," she joked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter