Chapter 23 | The Kiss

Affair | OSH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N: This is a double update, so if you haven't read the last chapter, I suggest you do so now before you get any spoilers here)

A gunshot filled the air as I dropped to the floor. Dimly, I heard a scream of pain as I gasped for air, the noise around me suddenly coming back to full volume as I coughed. The shock had numbed my own pain, but it also made my thoughts hazy and dazed. That certainly wasn't my scream, but wasn't I the one who was shot? Shouldn't I be dead?

"Areum! Areum!" A familiar, comforting voice filled my ears. I kept coughing, spitting out blood as my ribs burned and ached. Despite the lack of pressure around my throat, I still felt like I couldn't breathe. Tears of fear sprung to my eyes. I was still going to die. I let out a choked sob and felt desperate hands grab my arms. I screamed when they nudged my ribs. "Areum! Areum, oh my god, Areum. C'mon, stay with me. I'm here now, okay? Everything's going to be fine, just keep your eyes open. Areum!"

Dully, through my pain, I registered touseled blonde hair, a white dress shirt and a familiar pair of brown eyes. "Se...hun?" I whimpered, crying out from pain again. Fresh waves of it washed over me with every breath I took. But at least, if Sehun was here, it meant that I wouldn't be dying today. That thought kept me grounded and staved off the fear. I grabbed his shirt, using it as an anchor as I forced my trembling breathing to slow.

"I'm here, Areum. I'm here," I felt something warm grab my hand. I realised I was being cradled against his chest. "Keep your eyes open, okay? The ambulance will be here soon. " His voice shook as my eyelids fluttered. Exhaustion was now starting to take hold, and my vision darkened further. My limbs felt like they were either filled with lead or on fire. 

"Sleep..." I breathed out. I wanted to sleep. 

"Areum, I need you to stay with me," Sehun's voice sounded like he was about to cry. Dimly, I wondered why. It wasn't like I was going to leave him...if anything, it felt like he was the one always leaving me these days... my thoughts felt sluggish and tired. 

"Am...alright...just, tired..." I sighed, struggling to stay awake, but since Sehun asked me to stay with him, I supposed the least I could do was try my very best to stay awake and keep him company. Still, I felt like I should reassure him a little. "Not...gonna die..."

"You nearly could have!" he growled, anger and fear making his voice sharper than he intended. "If I'd come a moment later, you would have been dead!"

I flinched at his raised voice, the noise causing my head to hurt even more. He noticed and his eyes softened. "I'm sorry."

I frowned in confusion, feeling the warm darkness pull me down further. It was getting harder and harder to stay awake, even with the throb of my injuries. "For...what?"

"For leaving you alone. None of this would have happened if I'd stayed with you."

I didn't respond. I couldn't. My body wouldn't obey my commands as I felt the overwhelming urge to close my eyes and fall unconscious. The most I could get out was a whimper. Sehun noticed my fading consciousness and tensed. 

"No, Areum. Don't you dare close your eyes!" his voice was now urgent and full of fear. "Areum! Stay with me, please. Don't-"

"So... loud," I mumbled weakly. "Just... nap..."

"You..." was it just me or was Sehun's voice trembling? He breathed out, chuckling shakily and sounding very much close to tears. "What am I going to do with you?" he asked unsteadily, gently tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. 

Wit the last of my strength, I tucked my head into his chest, my eyes finally falling closed. The last thing I registered before passing out was a pair of soft, warm lips on my forehead, and a sweet, soft murmur.

"You can rest now, Areum. I'm here.

I won't ever leave you again, I promise."

******************

When I opened my eyes again, everything was white. I snapped my eyes shut again. 

'Surely I'm not dead, right?"

Slowly fluttering my eyes open again and wincing at the bright light, I tried shifting my head. A sharp pain registered on the side of my head and I winced. 

'Ok, I'm definitely not dead. There's no way death would hurt this much.'

After a moment of waiting for my vision to clear, I looked around. I realised I was in a hospital room, which would probably explain the white. Glancing to the side, I noticed a flash of blonde hair. 

Blonde hair?

Carefully shifting to my side, gritting my teeth as my body ached in protest, I saw Sehun asleep on the chair next to me, head resting in his arms. I shifted further, but then another sharp stab of pain hit my ribs and I unintentionally groaned. 

"," I cursed, clutching my ribs. I felt a thick and heavy cast wrapped around my entire torso and groaned again. Unfortunately, this caused Sehun's eyes to flutter open. He suddenly sat up, eyes immediately darting over. The sheer relief that swept across his face was almost amusing. 

"Areum!" he breathed, standing up and dashing over. "Thank god you're awake. You have no idea how worried I was."

I frowned. "Thank god? More like thank me. Wasn't easy to leave the soft cocoon of painless sleep just to be assaulted with broken ribs and a massive whopping bruise on my face."

Sehun just stared at me dumbfoundedly as I broke into a grin. "I'm kidding, Sehun. I'm glad I'm not dead either."

He looked like he was going to open his mouth to say something, but then stopped himself with a conflicted and almost angry expression. Instead, he just sighed. "You ing idiot, Areum."

There was something in his voice. A mixture of anger, worry, pain and relief. He leaned back tiredly, rubbing his eyes. I noticed the bags under his eyes. He looked like he hadn't slept for days. Confusion began to fill my mind. Speaking of which, where were we? How long had I been unconscious?

"Sehun? Where are we?" I asked quietly. He glanced at me. 

"We're still in America. Our parents decided to postpone our return to give you a chance to recover and to sort out the mess that happened at the party."

Memories of what happened flashed through my mind and I flinched. "I-I see..."

Sehun sighed again. He opened his mouth to speak but was cut off as the door slammed open. 

"Areum!" Elodie cried as she saw me, running over and throwing her arms around me. I realised she was sobbing. "Areum. P-please, don't ever do that again. You're scared the hell out of me." 

I was caught off guard, my eyes going wide. Awkwardly, I rubbed her back. "D-Don't cry, Elodie. I'm fine now. Everything's okay." Her grip only tightened in response. 

Right behind her were my parents, who looked just as worried and relieved. As soon as Elodie moved back, my mother walked forward and, abandoning her usual reservation, wrapped her arms around me too. 

"My sweet little girl," She whispered, her voice trembling. "Thank the heavens you're okay."

"Ma..." Unwittingly, I began tearing up as well. I hugged her back tightly. Once my mother moved to the side, My dad sat on the edge of my bed and gently ruffled my hair. 

"You gave us quite a scare there, kiddo," his tone was light, but his eyes held the worry and fear that his tone betrayed. "Don't worry your mother like that, alright?"

"Why, weren't you worried?" I joked back, wiping away the tears that had gathered in my eyes. 

"Of course I wasn't. I'm your dad - it's your mom's job to fret over you, not mine," He then smiled softly and gently kissed my forehead. "I'm glad you're safe, honey."

Next, Sehun's parents entered the room. "Areum!" Mrs Oh dashed forward. "You're awake!"

She grabbed my hand, her gentle face crinkled in worry. "I was so scared when Sehun told me you needed an ambulance. We thought you'd... you'd..." she winced and trailed off, my face with a hand. 

"The doctors say that you were lucky," Mr Oh added. "Your ribs aren't broken, just fractured, which prevented any internal bleeding - although there is some heavy bruising. You've also got some minor lacerations on the side of your head."

I nodded gratefully before Elodie's parents walked in. The room, though fairly large for a hospital ward, was getting fairly crowded. 

"Areum," Mr Powell's voice was serious, his face grave. He looked very unlike his usual cheery self. There were bags under his eyes and he'd looked like he'd aged years. "I don't know how to thank you for saving our daughter and risking your life in doing so. There's no way w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter