Chapter 9

Destiny

  “What do you think about me growing out my moustache again?” G.O asked, checking himself out in the mirror.

 “It looks good?” Onew answered, with uncertainty. “Hyung how would I know?”

 “Just asking. I got myself a date with Jieun tonight.”

 “So Taeyeon’s out of the picture ey?”

 “Yeah, she’s taken anyway. And Jieun’s way cuter.”

 “Really? You don’t usually take notice of ‘cute’ girls," commented Onew.

 “Hey, I’m widening my horizons here. And you wouldn’t notice cos’ you’ve been thinking about a certain blonde.”

Onew was surprised. “What?”

G.O. tightened his tie and put his coat on. “Come on, Jinki. I’ve been watching you. And you’ve been acting differently. Different good though.” He polished his shoes. “You should ask her out.”

 “Hyung, I don’t like her. I’m just… concerned for her,” stated Onew.

 “Yes, well this is the first girl you’ve been so ‘concerned’ about in a long time,” said G.O. lacing his shoes. “She’s friends with Sunny so she’s a sure sane person. Anyway what are you up to tonight?”

 “Football training. Changmin hyung says we got a newbie,” said Onew. He looked around for his football boots. “Where are my boots?”

 “You left them in your car. Alright, wish me luck.” 

 “Good luck! And don’t ask her about the moustache,” shouted back Onew.

***

Jogging around the field, Onew thought about what G.O said. Maybe I should’ve asked for her number. But I couldn’t. Not in the situation we were in.

 “Onew! Over here!” Changmin called out to him. He jogged over and saw the rest of his teammates.

 “Yo Onew! How’s it going?” asked Doojoon. “Haven’t seen you around for a while.”

 “Yeah, work’s been busy. You doin OK?”

 “Not too bad. Getting this Masters is a mission man. I should’ve just done what you did and worked.”

  “Alright everyone!” interrupted Changmin, “unfortunately Hyun Joong hyung can’t be here today. But I’ll introduce the newest member to join us. This here is Choi Minho.”

Minho introduced himself, and everyone got set to playing a practice match.

 “Alright, 5 more minutes of play, then we jog it off,” informed Changmin. Onew got hold of the ball and started dribbling towards the goal, when he got distracted by the people on the sidelines. As a result he fell over the ball and took a tumble.

 “Onew! I need you to focus!” called Changmin as he walked over, pulling Onew up.

The game ended. Still distracted, Onew looked over at the sidelines again. Jessica? No, she has blonde hair.

The girl waved at Doojoon and gave him a water bottle, wiping away his sweat with a towel as they laughed over something together. They even laugh similar. OK maybe G.O. hyung is right. I’m thinking about Jessica way too much.

He walked over to get his things, when Doojoon called him. “Hey Onew, this is my girlfriend, Krystal.”

It was the Jessica look-a-like. Close up she didn’t look so similar. Brown hair, a little taller perhaps, but it was the pose that got him. She had the same cold look that Jessica had. Till she smiled.

 “I’m Krystal.”Even their voices sound kinda similar.

 “Onew. It’s nice to meet you.”

 “So you’re Onew huh? Nice to see who you are. Finally.”

 “Wait you know him?” asked Doojoon. “You know my girlfriend?”

 Afraid that there might be an understanding, Onew quickly denied. “No… you must be mistaken Krystal-ssi,”

 “Oh no, I meant I’ve heard about you. Through my sister. You know Jessica? I’m her younger sister,” she explained. “It was him I was telling you about the other day, oppa, you know, with Jessica's problem.”

 “Ohh right, I didn’t know it was him.”

 “Well it was nice of you and please just call me Krystal. Come on, oppa, it’s getting late and you still need to eat. Onew-ssi see you around!” waved Krystal.

 “Nice meeting you Krystal. Doojoon I’ll catch up with you next practice OK,” said Onew as they went off in the other direction. Just as he got further away he called back. “Krystal?”

She turned.

 “Tell Jessica I said Hi.”

***

Jessica sat in her room, finishing off one of her designs, when there was a knock on her door.

 “Come in!” She looked to see who it was. “Krystal, waddup?”

 “Not much. Just came back from one of Doojoon’s practices. Minho was there,” she said begrudgingly.

 “Awkward?”

 “Not really. But the fact of him being there. With my current boyfriend. That in itself makes it awkward,” said Krystal. She stretched over her sister’s bed, picking up one of the plushies. “Oh and Onew said Hi.”

Jessica stopped sketching.

 “Turns out he plays on the same team as Doojoon oppa. He’s quite cute.”

 “He said Hi?”

 “Yep. Unnie he seems really nice. I think you guys would be so good together," chattered Krystal excitedly. “And I can tell he’s no Dong-bleh. And since he’s friends with Doojoon oppa I think he’s safe.”

The older Jung gave a look to the younger one. “I don’t think so, Krys.”

Krystal sighed. “Come on unnie. He is obviously interested in you. I mean he said Hi. What dude would say Hi like that?” She stole her sister’s pencil and doodled on the corner.

 “Any dude would say Hi like that. And he was probably being polite,” said Jessica, erasing Krystal’s doodles. “I don’t think he’s interested. Not after what Donghae said the other night,” she trailed off.

 “Jess, the past is the past. He’ll come to underst-“

 “Give it up, Krystal! I don’t want to be in another relationship,” snapped Jessica. She flung her art book down. “I can’t. And I won’t. So drop it alright.”

Suprised at her sister's outburst, Krystal stood up, angered. “Unnie. I know you’re hurt but you can’t let your past with him stop you from getting to know other guys,” shouted Krystal. “Why do you keep bringing him up? You guys aren’t together anymore! You may have closed your heart off. But somehow you’re still letting Donghae run it.” Slamming the door, she left.

***