Chapter 25

Destiny

 “Unnie,” called Jieun.

 “What?”

 “If you stare any longer, lasers are going to be shooting out of your eyes.”

Jessica grinned slyly and playfully pushed Jieun to the side. “I’m just… observing.”

 “Why don’t you observe a little closer then? You’ve been standing here for twenty minutes, when you could have mingled and maybe involved yourself into the conversation.”

 “Look who’s talking. You’ve gone back and forth to the food table more than twice in the past twenty minutes,” rebutted Jessica plainly as Jieun made a face.

 “Uh oh, mama bear is coming out from the kitchen and heading this way,” whispered Jieun urgently.

 “What? Where?” Jessica started panicking, refraining herself from turning around. She didn’t want to be caught alone with Onew’s mum, she wasn’t prepared just yet. Jieun grabbed her wrist and made her stand still.

 “Stop, unnie. Don’t turn. Big smile. And bye!” Jieun skipped off.

 “Jessica dear, how are you enjoying the food?” asked Onew’s mum kindly.

Jessica swallowed her nerves . “It’s delicious! I wish I could cook just as well. I mean, I can cook. I have a keen interest in cooking… how did you get this to taste so good?” Jessica said with much fluster, realising that she had just admitted she was a failing chef. Onew’s mum gave a knowing smile, and reached for her hand, patting it.

 “Don’t tell Jinki, but before I married his father, I was hopeless in the kitchen.” She gazed to Onew’s dad. “That man right there, God knows how many burnt and over-salted dishes he had to endure before I perfected them.” Jessica saw the look of content and adoration set on her face and she yearned to have the same expression.

 “I’m glad Jinki brought you home.”

Jessica was surprised. “I feel the same way.”

 “You are the first one you know,” said Onew’s mum as she rearranged the various dishes set on the table. Jessica turned pink. “He’s never been one to bring a girl home…”

 “Really…”

 “You seem doubtful.”

 “More like, surprised, I guess.”

 “Why’s that?”

Jessica shook her head gently. “Oh… I’m… I didn’t mean anything.” She searched around the garden for the familiar face and she couldn’t find him.

Nor could she see Yeeun.

***

 “You break my heart, Yoon Doojoon.”

 “What?”

Joon blocked his view and examined his face. “I’m feeling neglected. Ne-glec-ted. You haven’t heard a single word I’ve said since just now.”

 “I am listening, hyung. I hear you,” sighed Doojoon.

 “Oh yeah, as well as the part about lending me Diablo 3 for a month?”

 “What? No!”

 “What has gotten into you, dude? You’ve been zoning out non-stop these past weeks… it’s like you’re on another planet,” Joon settled himself on the floor. “It’s not Krystal again is it? I thought you two sorted yourselves out.”

 “Nah, it’s something else.”

 “Wait, it’s another chick isn’t it?” Doojoon remained silent. “I mean, why else would you be this zombie-like. Who is it? Jihyun? Hyuna?” Doojoon jiggled his left leg, like he always did whenever he was thinking. “Oh, that girl, the ex… Lizzy!” Joon snapped his fingers excitedly.

 “No. It’s nothing, hyung, alright. I’m just a little preoccupied OK,” Doojoon glanced at his phone. “What do you do when Hyosung gets mad at you?”

 “My wife’s pregnant, she’s about to give birth any time soon, her mood swings are all over place, so that question is kinda useless,” said Joon matter-of-factly. “But I usually do what she wants me to do, never a good idea to make the situation worse than it already is. Women.”

Doojoon scratched his head in annoyance. This on-going combat with Jessica was getting to him a lot more than he had expected it. He needed to talk to her. And soon.

 “You’re buzzing.” Joon eyed his phone, trying to take a peek at the ID caller. Doojoon snatched it away and picked it up.

 “Hey.”

***

 “Hey, fancy bumping into you here.” Minho grinned cheekily at Krystal, who was surprised at the tall figure standing in front of her.

 “Yeah, fancy that,” muttered Krystal, her eyes still on the vending machine as she scrutinised the choices for a drink. Minho was confused, not expecting that exact response coming from her.

 “So, I got your text. Is it important?”

 Krystal continued with what she was doing previously, finally pressing a button and out rolled a Fanta. She picked it up and turned her gaze to Minho, who still waited for an answer. “Yes,” she finally answered. They stood there, staring at each other.

Why does this feel so familiar? Ugh. Look away, Krystal, look away.

 “Do you need help opening that up?” She snapped out her thoughts and glanced down to the unopened beverage.

 “No. It’s fine,” said Krystal. “Umm, I’ll see you Monday.”

 “Should I bring my training kit as usual?”

 “What?”

Minho raised his eyebrow. “Well, we’re doing some extra training sessions aren’t we? Isn’t that why you called me out?”

She shook her head and frowned. “No, just yourself.” And the conversation ended as she stepped out the door, leaving a confused Minho behind.

***

 “Things getting serious between you two,” said Yeeun passing a bottle of beer to Onew, who was watching his parents chatting happily with Jessica, settling herself to the seat next to his.

 “We’re… getting there,” said Onew with a shy chuckle. “What about you then? Anyone you’ve been dragging along?”

Yeeun laughed out loud. “Me? You know me and men, nothing ever stays. I haven’t dated one decent guy since Ji-hoo.” Onew looked at her in disbelief. “It’s true! Yah, do you think I would lie to you about that?” she asked candidly.

 “You had so many admirers back in the day, and you had their hearts crushed when they found out you were dating Ji-hoo. And well, now, it’s hard to imagine that you don’t have anyone after you.”

 “That was supposed to be a good comment right?” asked Yeeun with narrowed eyes. Onew teasingly kicked her foot, laughing.

 “Yes, Park Yeeun. It means you’re still attractive,” he said. Yeeun blushed and the conversation stopped on a cold, awkward note. “I mean guys don’t know what they’re missing out or something. I mean you obviously know you’ve still got it going on, right,” he trailed off. He cleared his throat. “I’m gonna go get some more snacks. Be back in a minute.”

Yeeun nodded, although she wasn’t sure if she was nodding at his hot-dog statement or that he said she was still attractive. She briefly wondered what it would have been like if she was his girlfriend; if it was her that he officially introduced to his parents. Not that they would have needed introducing since she was always over every so often. She watched him carefully, conjuring up possibilities in her head, all the what-ifs.

If you had only kept your promise.

***

 “Tell me what you told me before.”

 “Wha-…When?”

 “That time, tell me again what you said,” she said firmly, with a hint of worry hidden within. “Say it to me again.”

Doojoon paused before he answered. “No matter what, wherever and whenever, I’ll always be there for you.” She kept silent as he recalled his words. “I’ll tell you when you’re being stupid or naïve or when your heart will get broken. I’ll even be your number one on speed dial.”

 “You would still keep your word?”

 “Of course, what is thi-“

Jessica breathed out. “Nothing. I was getting paranoid and you… you were the first one that I could think of.”

 “Oh… OK.” He tried to find the words to get the conversation going. “Does this mean we-“

 “I gotta go. I’ll call you later.”

And with that last sentence, he knew that things were on their way to better.

***

 “Hot dog?”

She accepted the offer and stuffed it in . “Yum.”

 “You alright? You’ve been a little too quiet all evening,” said Onew. “My mum didn’t grill you too hard did she?”

She playfully shoved her boyfriend and leaned into his shoulder. “Your mum’s amazing. You’re lucky to have her, you know.” Jessica turned her face upwards towards his and looked into his eyes. “And I'm lucky to have you.”

He smiled and gave her a squeeze. “Me too, Jessica.”

 “So, what did you and Yeeun talk about?” she asked, curious.

 “Ahh, the usual talk, y’know when people have mini reunions, like we did,” he replied. “A few hours are just not enough to catch up on the years we’ve missed.” She nodded understandingly, snuggling in closer.

 “I’m really happy I agreed to come,” mumbled Jessica, intertwining her hands with his. “Thank you. For this.”

He planted a kiss on her forehead then gazed into her eyes, his heartbeat suddenly racing. “No, thank you.” Was what he said, but what he really meant, he couldn’t bring himself to say it.

Not just yet.

***

Yay an update finally! I've still got a lot of schoolwork so I'm a little (OK maybe not little, more like a lot) behind with the story. I feel so bad for not being so consistent. I'm really sorry! Anyway, thank you for reading and do leave comments! Love :) xoxo

P.S. I've been listening to 2BiC's Love Again feat. Ailee. I love Ailee but these 2BiC guys have such smooth voices. Thinking about writing a one shot based off it, but I'm not so sure yet.