Chapter 29

Destiny

 

 “I hope I brought enough. Do you think this is enough? I feel like there’s something missing,” muttered Jessica, twirling the ends of her hair, observing the unfinished luggage that lay in front of her. “Toiletries! I haven’t done my toiletries yet. And I haven’t packed in my shoes, or my accessories.” She fluttered around her room in a daze, grabbing her diary and quickly scribbled in. “Do you think I should bring my red bag or the green pastel one?”

Tiffany swirled around and pointed at one. “The beige. I think it’d go nicely with your dress. And it’s neutral.” Her stomach suddenly growled and she grinned sheepishly. “I think baby is looking for food. I’m going to pester your mum for some home cooked food.”

 “Leave some for me!” Jessica went back to her closet and continued picking and choosing when she heard a knock on her door. “Come in! Sorry, I’m still- oh…” She stopped, startled at the guest in her room.

Doojoon waved weakly with a shy smile. “I just dropped Krystal home and thought I should drop by and say hi to your parents. And you, of course.” Jessica nodded, as the two stood awkwardly. He cleared his throat. “So, how’s the packing coming along?”

 “Not too bad.”

His eyes roamed around the room before settling on Jessica. “Listen, I came here to talk. We need to talk. It’s been way overdue and we need to resolve this before you leave.” Jessica felt her heart weigh heavily and crossed her room towards the door. “She’s in the shower. Krystal. Tiffany’s with your parents,” he said knowingly.

Jessica turned with her arms folded. “You know, this isn’t how I wanted to spend my last night.”

 “And it also isn’t the way we want to leave things.”

 “Doojoon, we’re fine, OK. You were angry and said things you didn’t mean. Things happen, I understand.” She smiled at him forcibly, and grabbed some random items off her desk, chucking them into her bag. “Could you pass me that bottle of lotion by my bedside table please?” Doojoon did as he was told, then walked over taking her hand into his and sat her down on the bed.

 “You and I know that’s not true, Jessica. I know you.” She breathed in deeply, and stared at her feet. “I know you, and you’re not fine with it. Otherwise, you would’ve replied to all my stalker messages and voicemail. And you wouldn’t be evading me, like you are right now.” Doojoon sighed. “I know what I said last time brought up a sore memory and it was not my intention to do so. But I also thought you’d understand, Jessica. What you’ve been through, what I’ve been through….” He didn’t have to say sorry, for he knew she’d understand.

A few minutes passed before the blonde-haired girl faced the man sitting next to her. She gently patted his arm, as a sign of truce. “I know.” He lifted his head and saw the slight smile on her face. “If it makes you feel any better, I’m going to miss you?”

He nudged her playfully. “You better. So, call me maybe?”

“That song is so overplayed,” she chuckled. Jessica tightened her arms around him. “Number one speed dial?”

Doojoon nodded into her shoulder. “Number one speed dial.”

***

 “You’re starting too early and your hands aren’t following through,” commented Minho after Krystal jogged back. “You need to focus.”

 “I am focused.”

 “Not focused enough.”

Krystal closed her water bottle and took a deep breath. Training with Minho had been tense the past few weeks ever since the encounter of his partial confession, and it did not help that the competition was nearing.

 “I need to leave in thirty,” she said, tying her laces up. She saw his face, taut and expressionless. “My sister’s flying off.”

 “Fine.”

Krystal flung her towel down in exasperation. “What is wrong with you, Minho? I get that we’re not exactly on the best of terms, but at least put that aside when we’re training. I don’t need to deal with your sensitiveness.”

Minho whipped his head, his eyes flaring. “My apologies, Krystal. I didn’t think you’d notice how I was feeling,” he said with much sarcasm.

 “Oh, don’t think I’m noticing it for any other reason, except for the fact that we’re solely partners. I don’t cooperate well with people that let their emotions get the better of them. We’re schoolmates, get it?”

 “Why are you so adamant on that, Krystal? Why? Why are you deluding your-“

 “I am not deluding myself into anything,” she seethed. She couldn’t stand this atmosphere anymore. “If anyone is deluding themselves, it’s you, Choi Minho.”

 “Krystal, we still have-“

 “No. I can’t concentrate, not like this,” said Krystal. She positioned herself to see him, standing and looking bothered. “I’m not going to be childish and complain to Coach. We’re competing like professionals, so start acting like one.”

***

“I’m not going to say anything,” answered Suzy.

“You don’t have to, I can practically see your face right now with I-told-you-so written all over it,” said Krystal. “I thought he’d be practical and mature, instead I get an overgrown child.”

 “Can’t blame him. I don’t think he expected you to have a boyfriend, who also happens to be one of the school’s best athletes.”

 “What, did he think I’d stay forever single? It’s not my fault I moved on.”

 “And found another school jock. Have you reached yet?”

 “No, I’m still in the taxi. What should I do? I, honestly, cannot stand the atmosphere we’re in. It’s worse than being stuck outside in the heat.”

Suzy sighed. “Krystal, just withstand it for another two weeks. You guys make a good team.” Krystal rolled her eyes. “You know he needs you just as much as you need him. It’s always been like that, since high school. The way you two work out… it’s in sync.”

 “Whatever.”

 “Have you called that Lizzy woman yet by the way?” Hearing the name suddenly stirred Krystal’s mind. She was going to do the interview, and she was also going to find out the real motive.

 “I’ll get round to it one of these days. I have enough people to deal with.”

 “There’s only Minho…?”

 “Exactly!”

 Suzy chortled. “Alright, I gotta go, Soojung. Send my kisses to Sica unnie! “

***

“You’d think my mum would tone down the worrywart in her since this would not be the first time I’ve travelled alone,” said Jessica. Tiffany and Taecyeon laughed as they saw Jessica’s mother checking over her ticket and passport, busily chatting on the phone. “She hasn’t stopped talking to my aunt since we left the house.”

Tiffany rubbed her shoulders affectionately. “It’s a mummy’s job.  I’m starting to understand what it feels like and I haven’t even given birth yet.” She searched around and caught sight of a familiar face. “There he is.” The other two followed her eyes, and in return received a wave. Onew walked over as fast as he could, after a quick greeting to Jessica’s parents.

 “Sorry I’m late, traffic was being an absolute just now,” complained Onew, reaching down to hold Jessica’s hand. “Your luggage go through OK?”

 “OK?” butted in Krystal. “She had two huge bags, plus one smaller one and that’s not including her hand-luggage.”

 “Excuse me, I only used one and a half of the luggage,” retorted Jessica defensively. “The other one and a half is empty so I can bring back my stuff that I’ve shopped there.” Her sister rolled her eyes. “And, if I remember correctly, that would also include the list you requested.”

 “Heh. I love you, unnie.” They paused talking as they heard the boarding call for Jessica’s flight.

 “That’s yours isn’t it?” asked Tiffany, walking over to her best friend and engulfed her into a bear hug. “I’ll see you soon, Jessi. Eat me some nachos while you’re at it.”

 “We can’t influence early fast-food consumption, Hwang Miyoung,” said Jessica in jest. She turned and said her byes to the rest and was finally left with one. She strolled and wrapped her arms around him.

 “You’ll call me when you’ve reached?” She nodded. “Do you think they’d mind if you had extra hand-luggage, the human edition?”

She let out a light laugh. “Three months will go by fast enough, you said so yourself.”

He pressed his forehead to hers. “I miss you already.”

 “Me too.”

“Last call for flight…”

 “I have to go,” she whispered, a little reluctantly, their intertwined hands refusing to let go. She reached up and placed a kiss on his lips. “Take care OK?”

 “Always.” She was about to go off, when he pulled her back. “Hey.”

 “Mmm?” Jessica stared at him, startled by the abrupt action. He brought his face close to hers and seemed to be hesitating.

 “I love you.” His heart raced as the words left his mouth. Jessica’s eyebrows shot up. “Umm, yeah, uhh.” He stammered at his words but couldn’t find anything else to say.

 “Jessica! You need to leave!”

 “Go.” Onew managed to mutter out. She looked at him apologetically and hurriedly made her way to the counter and she e last time. Amidst the waving hands of her dear friends and family, she caught sight of the one man who had just taken a piece of her heart. Quickly taking her phone out, she dialled and watched as he fumbled in his pocket.

 “I… love you,” she said into the phone.

Onew’s face lit up with a contented grin.

***

Another late update! And I got three new subscribers. I love you all! Enjoy :)