Chapter 14

Destiny

 

 “Once again, you have saved my life,” said Sunny, wrapping an arm around Jessica. “Jessica Jung, you are my light. My shining star. The sand to my wich. The-”

Jessica laughed. “Stop it Sunny! It’s my job. I’ll get the final touches done by tomorrow or latest, the day after.”

 “Okiedokes. Listen, I just need to go down and see over some files, then we’ll leave together,” said Sunny, making her way to the door carrying a pile of papers. “You can roam around if you want, everyone’s gone home anyway.”

Jessica sat down and flipped through a magazine. Few minutes passed and she felt restless. She decided to explore the floor and saw the recording studios. She peeked in one and saw a piano. Checking that no one was around, Jessica quietly entered the room. Sitting at the piano, she carefully the keys and played.

***

 “Hyung, did you get email I sent you earlier?” asked Onew.

 “You send me like 15 emails every day, and out of those I read 3, so which one are you talking about?” complained G.O.

 “The one about the upcoming showcase? You’re the vocal trainer so I assume you would’ve known about it.”

G.O smacked his head as he realised the importance of Onew’s words. “Why didn’t you tell me it was urgent?”

 “I marked it in the subject box ‘URGENT. PLS READ!’ and I sent you a text as well.”

 “I don’t pay attention to my phone when I’m with the trainees,” sighed G.O. worriedly, running a hand through his hair. “OK what exactly do I need to do? Tell me to the exact detail.”

 “First you need to sort out-… do you hear that?” Onew looked around, searching for the singing voice. The two men traced the melody of the piano back to its origin.

It’s my mistake for not making you love me

It’s my mistake for loving you more than you love me

It’s my mistake for not making you love me as much as I wanted you to

***

It’s my mistake for

Waiting by myself

Regretting by myself

Loving you by myself

 

Please forgive me for being like this.

(forgive the person) Who loved you

 

If only I could say these words to you Donghae. Jessica remained seated as she recalled their memories. Was it her fault Donghae had changed? Was she that bad of girlfriend? Correction, fiancée.

 “Have you ever thought about singing as a job?” G.O had walked into the room. “Cos’ that was really good.”

 “Oh my, I’m so sorry. I know I shouldn’t be here,” said Jessica hurriedly, as she stood up and away from piano. “I was just waiting for Sunny and wandered around then I found the piano.”

 “You have a really good voice,” complimented G.O.

 “Oh uh, thank you… I guess.”

Onew stepped in from the outside. “And I didn’t know you could play the piano.”

Oh God, he was here too. “I used to take lessons.” Jessica looked down to her palms, squeezing them anxiously. “I should apologise for disturbing you two.”

 “The security’s downstairs at the moment, we’ll make a complaint for trespassing later,” chuckled G.O. Jessica’s eyes widened at his comment. “Kidding.”

 “Stop being such an hyung,” cut in Onew. “But seriously though, your voice was great.”

Jessica blushed. “It was nothing, I was just messing around,” she said. “I’m gonna go find Sunny. Umm, bye!”

 “That girl, has skills,” commented G.O with a nod. “If I were a talent scout I would’ve taken her in already. You sure know how to pick ‘em Jinki.”

 Onew remained silent.The song Jessica had sung kept replaying in his mind. The words were full of emotions… and truth. Why do I get the feeling that she was singing it for someone?

 “Onew? Oh-newww!” G.O snapped his fingers in front of Onew’s face. “OK I get that you’re as mesmerised as I am since she’s like your girlfriend, but my job is on the line. So please tell me what I need to do for the showcase.”

***

 “Hello?”

 “Onew, hey,” answered Jessica cheerfully. “How are you?”

 “Good. Busy with the upcoming showcase, which I’m sure you’re aware of since you’ve practically been working part-time at our office,” said Onew.

 “And I’m enjoying it. It’s a different feeling compared to working at my usual office.”

 “Cos’ you get to see me too?”

Jessica’s face heated up as she thought of her response. “I’ll take that as a rhetorical question.”

 “So you do like working at SM cos’ of me? Well I won’t deny that I enjoy going to work cos’ I get see you too.”

 “Why are you suddenly… this cheesy?”

 “Thought I’d attempt it and I’m curling up inside,” replied Onew honestly with a laugh. “This should be my last attempt at cheesiness I guess?”

 “Just maybe. I’m fine with your Onew condition,” chuckled Jessica. His clumsiness was one of a kind, and it was one of his attractive points. She loved his random outbursts and his obsession with chicken (a growing worry for her; she felt like she was competing for attention with chicken) and most of all she loved it whenever he texted or called her which was, without fail, every day.

 “And were you ever going to tell me that you could sing like that?” asked Onew.

 “Maybe. You still have yet to discover things about me,” said Jessica flirtatiously, blushing at the same time.

 “Which brings me to my next question. I called to ask about our date on Friday. We’re still on right?”

 “Mhmm. I’ll be at SM too, so you won’t have to pick me up from home,” said Jessica, as she quickly racked her brain as to what outfit she would wear. Her phone beeped at another incoming call. “Onew could you hold, I’ve got an incoming call.”

Onew thought about his plans for Friday whilst he waited for Jessica on the line. It was going to be their 5th date and coincidentally the 22nd day since they started dating..

 “Onew?”

 “Yeah, I’m still here,” replied Onew with a smile.

 “I’m really sorry Onew but I need to make our call short cos’ I gotta call Doojoon back,” said Jessica hurriedly. “I’ll see you on Friday alright?”

 “Yeah, sure. I’ll text you later OK.”

I hate getting off the phone with him. Doojoon, this better be good.

***

Fancy restaurant at the Sheraton? No, too much. Cinema? No, we did that last time. And too casual. Ahh, what do I do? Onew thought. He picked up his phone and dialled a number.

 “Lee Jinki, to what do I owe this call?”

 “What I can’t even call my cousin anymore?”

 “Well since you’ve got a new girl in your life, I thought you would’ve forgotten me.”

 “You’re forever embedded in my heart Sunny. Thanks to your tiny height.”

 “Haha, very funny. Update me. We’ve both been too busy to catch up.”

 “Yeah, that’s one reason why I called. I’m taking Jessica out on Friday. But I don’t know where to.”

 “What did you do last time?”

 “Movies, followed by dinner at Pizza Hut. But Sunny, it’s the 22nd day too.”

 “Already? Wow, time sure flies. Obviously you gotta plan something super romantic.”

 “Such as?”

 “Oooh, I know. Why don’t you take her to the place where you guys had your first kiss? And set up a whole candlelit dinner. You know, the works.”

The phone remained silent.

 “You do remember where you had your first kiss right?”

 “Um, about that…”

 “Don’t tell me… You guys haven’t kissed? Oh my God Jinki it’s the 22nd day already! What have you two been doing!?”

 “We just never found the right time? I don’t know. And we’ve only been on a few dates and I don’t know why!”

 “You can’t keep her waiting you know. She’ll run away if you don’t take it up a notch.”

 “Which is why I need your help for the date! I’m out of ideas.”

 “It should be memorable but simple. And knowing Jessica, nothing too over the top. And of course, romantic.”

An idea struck Onew. I got it. “I have a plan, thanks Soonkyu!”

 “Hold it, I want details please.”

 “Not now, I gotta make some plans. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 “Jessica better be prepared cos’ I am going to steal you one day!”

***

 “I had to cut my phone call short with Onew, so this better be worth it Yoon Doojoon,” said Jessica with annoyance.

 “Oooh loverboy.”

 “Shut up! What did you want to talk to me about?”

 “Has Krystal said anything to you? About me? Like has she been weird recently?”

 “Not that I know of. Did something happen between you two?”

 “I don’t know. She’s been a bit off lately. And we’ve both been busy with assignments, so I thought she might be mad at me cos’ we haven’t spent some time together.”

 “She seems to be fine.” Jessica stepped out of her room and leaned her ear against Krystal’s door. “And she’s currently belting out to Christina Aguilera.” She heard the other sigh over the phone. “Maybe it is cos’ you haven’t spent enough time together. Don’t worry about it.”

 “Yeah, maybe. I just… I don’t know Sica. I know when she’s mad, I know when she's happy, I know when she’s tired, and heck I even know when she’s PMS-ing. But this time it’s…”

 “Doojoon, you’re overthinking it OK. Krystal loves you and only you,” comforted Jessica.

 “Fine. Sorry I interrupted you and Romeo,” teased Doojoon.

 “You should be. Oh and tell Bora to call me whenever she’s free. I’m thinking about using her body for my next line.”

 “OK I know she’s my sister, but that just sounds so .”

***

From Choi Minho

Yo! What u up to? Come on Skype!

 

Krystal read her text message and immediately logged on.

MinhoC.91 – Online

 

xJKrysx: Heyyy :)

MinhoC.91: Heyy, wats up~?

xJKrysx: Nothin much. Catchin up on homework. U?

MinhoC.91: Same here. Schoolwork doesn’t seem to ever end huh

xJKrysx: I’d rather be training right now. Woohyun oppa sounds just about better than composing. U ready for the competition?

MinhoC.91: Oh yeah~! They better be ready for The Choi Minho to be kickin ~!! :D

xJKrysx: Someone’s confident :p

MinhoC.91: Aren’t u?

xJKrysx: I’m kinda nervous. It’s my first competition representing the uni… so it’s like a big deal :/

MinhoC.91: I know u. U’ll be joining me… winning gold medals… standing on the podium (y)

xJKrysx: Now that I think bout it... Maybe I’ll be the only one winning gold :p

MinhoC.91: Hahaha ;)

 

 “Jung Soojung, can you please tell me what is so important that you haven’t been able to call your boyfriend?” complained Suzy as soon as Krystal picked up her phone.

 “What?”

 “Yoon Doojoon. Your boyfriend? Guy you’ve been dating? Yeah, him.”

 “Again, what?” asked Krystal confused.

 “He just called me, asking me if he’s done something wrong. And of course I said no, because he’s been the perfect boyfriend since like forever. But obviously Taemin oppa is way better than he is. Anyhoo, then he asked me if you were purposely avoiding him for some reason. And of course I said no, cos’ for what reason would you have to avoid him. Now can you-“

   MinhoC.91: Ur comin to practice tomorrow??

   xJKrysx: Yepp. Probs be the highlight of my day! Lol

 “- please explain to me why you haven’t been able to call your boyfriend. Hello? Hello?? Krystal! I’m talking to you!”

 “Oh sorry Suzy! What did you say?”

 “I just explained everything for like 10 minutes and you didn’t hear any of it!? Why are you so distracted?”

 “I’m sorry OK. I’ m just chatting with someone,” laughed Krystal.

 “I’m being serious Soojung. What is up with you?” Krystal sensed the upset tone in Suzy’s voice and faced away from her laptop and on to the person on the other line. “You’ve been distracted these past few weeks and I just thought maybe it’s the Woo’s assignment. But is there something else going on?”

Krystal was silent. She hadn’t told anyone about Minho. Not that there was anything to tell. Other than the exchange of phone numbers, the text messages, the occasional online chat. And maybe the small dinners and chilling sessions they had after practice.

But it’s not like those were anything to share.

 “Nothing is going on. You’re right. I’m just stressed cos’ of Professor Woo and… this upcoming athletics competition,” convinced Krystal, playing with the ends of her hair nervously. Thank God Suzy wasn’t in front of her; that girl could sense her lies like a dog sniffing out meat.

 “You’re lying.” I spoke too soon, thought Krystal. “Spill it Soojung.”

She let out a heavy sigh. There was no way she could keep it from her best friend. “I’ve been… talking to Minho.”

 “So? You can’t call your boyfriend all of a sudden?”

 “No it’s not that. I haven’t exactly told him I’ve been talking to Minho.”

 “You’re just talking. It’s not like you guys have been out for dinners or like hanging out together.”

Krystal bit her lip and swallowed, with slight difficulty.

 “You’ve been hanging out with him? Since when? Where? And most importantly why?”

 “He’s on the athletics team as well. And usually Doojoon picks me up but he’s been busy with his thesis so I just told him that I had a teammate drop me home.”

 “Minho.”

 “Yeah.”

Suzy sighed exasperatedly. “I told you didn’t I? I told you before to be careful around him. Now you’re sneaking around with your ex and avoiding your boyfriend.”

 “I know it’s not the smartest thing to do. I’ll tell Doojoon. I will. It’s just… now is not the time. He needs to focus on his studies. And I need to focus on mine. If I tell him now, I don’t know how it’ll turn out.”

 “Clearly you do, otherwise you would’ve told him from the start,” remarked Suzy harshly. “I’m your best friend but you need to set your priorities straight. Doojoon oppa’s a good guy and he really loves you.”

 “I know,” said Krystal guiltily.

 “Listen, I gotta go now. Taemin oppa’s waiting for me outside. Soojung-ah please be smart about this. I don’t wanna see either of you get hurt, because that is exactly going to happen if things go wrong.”

MinhoC.91: Cool! I know a really good place for pasta. We can check it out tomorrow before I drop u home ;)

***

I'm really sorry if the story's been progressing really slow. I've got ideas all over the place and then I lose them. And then I get stuck with nothing to write haha. But hope it's going OK so far! :)