Chapter 13

Destiny

Krystal jolted up at the sudden touch of someone’s hand tapping her. “Whaa.. what oh Taemin oppa?”

The boy smiled sheepishly. “Sorry Krystal, didn’t mean to wake you up. I can’t get a hold of Suzy.”

 “Oh that’s right! I forgot to pass you her message. There was a sudden change of plans, and her drama director called for an emergency meeting.”

 “Ms. Jang is one evil woman. I was getting worried cos’ her phone was off.” He peeked at Krystal’s notes on the table. “Well since I’ve got time to kill, what you working on?”

 “Composition. And I’ve gotten nowhere,” grumbled Krystal. “And bonus, Professor Woo is my assigned examiner.”

“Well, today may just be your lucky day. I had Professor Woo last year too and scored an A,” smiled Taemin, pointing at himself proudly.

 “You? You were part of those students?” Krystal’s jaw dropped. “No. Way.”

Taemin let out a light chuckle. “Yah, I worked hard for it alright. It wasn’t easy I’ll tell you that. But Professor Woo clearly sees something in you, that’s why he picked you.”

 “Oppa, the names were pulled at random.”

 “That’s what they tell you. But Professor Woo is a special case. He surveys the students, studies them, and you’re picked.”

 “I saw my name being pulled out of the bowl,” said Krystal, ready to prove Taemin wrong. “Jung Krystal, Professor Woo.”

 “Did you actually see your name?” The girl’s face froze. “Exactly. Want my advice? Don’t rush it. Work on it step by step and relate your daily life into it. That’s what he wants. He hates -ups by the way.”

 “Kwon Sohyun’s already done that. She rushed off to his office immediately, with an oh-I’m-so-glad face. So you think I can tackle this?”

Taemin nodded, with a reassured smile. “I stressed over it for a week. But I did it in the end.”

 “Alright. I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks oppa,” said Krystal gratefully, as she gathered up her stuff to pack up. “I gotta go to training now. Competition’s coming up.”

 “So I heard. Minho hyung told me about it.”

 She stopped and looked up at the mention of the name. “Minho?”

 “Mhmm. He got into the athletics team too. You might see him today at practice.”

Great, something else to look forward to, thought Krystal sarcastically.

***

 “Alright team! We have 6 weeks till the competition,” said Coach Kim. “I’ll need your utmost dedication and discipline till then. Plus an additional hour of training after hours. I’m going to team you up in pairs so that you can work on each other’s strength and weaknesses. First up, Dongjun and Hara.”

Krystal sat nervously, hands clasped together as she silently prayed. Please, please don’t let me be paired with Minho please, please. Coach Kim read out name after name, finally down to the last four.

 “Krystal and Woohyun. Finally, Minho and Hyorin,” read out Coach Kim. “Since I’ve said all that needs to be said, get to it.” 

Amen. Krystal, feeling relieved at her pairing, looked around for Woohyun. “Woohyun oppa!”

 “Krystal!” He jogged over to her spot. “Hah, now you really get to hear my nagging,” he teased.

She smacked his arm and stuck her tongue out. “Whatever.”

The two focused on their training. Woohyun pointed out her errors, being the experienced one out of them, whilst Krystal listened and put in her effort. Being the perfectionist she worked hard for the next 2 hours.

 “With a few more practices, you'll be just as good as me. Or just close enough,” joked Woohyun. He searched around for the rest of the team. “Looks like it’s just us. Let’s go get washed up and changed. So I’ll see you Tuesday?”

 “Yup. But could we change the time to 5pm? I got an assignment to work on,” asked Krystal.

 “Fine by me. Have a good weekend!”

***

Krystal stepped out of the changing rooms, searching for her phone. “Where is it? Ugh.”

 “Lost something?” In front of her stood Minho, bag over his shoulder, hand in one pocket.

 “Uhh, my phone. I must’ve misplaced it,” replied Krystal, still ruffling in her bag. “Disadvantages of having such a big bag.”

 “Give me your number.”

 “Excuse me?”

 “So I can call it and it’ll ring?”

 “Ahh, right. Yeah.” They heard a sound coming from the ladies changing room. Krystal went in and soon came out, face flushed, mobile phone in hand. “Thanks.”

 “So, do you wanna grab a bite to eat?” Minho pointed to the small canteen in the corner.

Krystal hesitated a bit before answering. “Sure.”

Minho went to order and Krystal stared at the table nervously. This was so awkward yet she felt that if she hadn’t agreed she wouldn’t feel satisfied. Satisfied for what she didn’t know.

 “Here you go.” Minho placed the tray on to the table and handed her the sandwich and drink. “I remembered you were allergic to apple, so I got you orange juice instead.”

Not wanting to beat around the bush, Krystal got straight to the point she wanted to ask for a long time.  “Why’d you pretend not to know me?”

Minho stopped chewing. He looked to the girl sat opposite him, her eyes full of seriousness. “I just thought it was better. If I said I knew you, it would’ve put us in an awkward situation no?”

 “No it wouldn’t. That way I didn’t have to worry and lose sleep over it on how to tell my boyfriend about my ex-boyfriend and we could’ve have just continued being old friends. Did you not think?” Krystal was annoyed. His reasoning was not good enough.

 “Look, in all honesty I didn’t know you were the same Krystal that he was dating OK. When I saw you two at the café, I was shocked too. I didn’t expect to see you, of all people, to be there.”

 “Huh, you’re not the only one.”

 “Can’t we just start over and be friends? For old times sake?”

Krystal thought about it. There was no way she would ever be able to avoid him. They were in the same university, same team and somehow they shared the same group of friends. “Fine. Friends.” She put her hand out to shake his.

He smiled. “Cool. So, how long have you and hyung been together, if you don’t mind me asking?”

 “Almost a year now,” answered Krystal, slightly uncomfortable. “Listen I know we’re friends now, but let’s keep our private lives to ourselves alright.”

He chuckled. “Fine fine. Do you need a lift home?”

 “Doojoon oppa is meeting me here. I texted him a while ago.”

 “You’re sure you’re OK waiting here? You don’t need me to wait for you till he comes?”

 “I’m not 15 anymore Minho-ssi. I can handle it.”

 “You can drop the formalities y’know,” he said.

 “Yes Minho oppa. Now go. Leave,” ushered Krystal. Then her phone rang. “Oh look, my ride’s here.”

They waved goodbye and she got into Doojoon’s car. She leaned over to give him a kiss, and fastened her seatbelt.

 “How was school?” asked Doojoon.

 “The usual.  Did you know Taemin oppa had Professor Woo last year? He got an A!” said Krystal. “And Woohyun oppa is my partner and yeah, um insanely hardcore. My muscles are going to be crying tomorrow.”

 “No they won’t. Woohyun knows what he’s doing,” laughed Doojoon. “Anything else happen?”

 “I talked to Min…” Krystal stopped mid-sentence. “No, nothing else. Just work and practice.” She smiled to her boyfriend.

 “OK so you’re hungry right? Should we get dinner?”

 Krystal felt the guiltiness in her rising, but she pushed it away “Yeah. Dinner sounds good.” 

***