Chapter 35

Destiny

 

Doojoon ran through the hospital hallways, frantically searching for Taemin and found him sitting in front of the ward, Suzy quietly pacing back and forth.

 “How is she?” he asked as he reached.

 “She’s fine, stable, the doctor said. Her anaemia was bad; her blood iron content was way too low and she’s over exhausted,” replied Taemin getting up. “The doctor wants to keep her overnight for standard observation.” Doojoon nodded and glanced at Krystal’s door before he turned away. Suzy tugged at his arm to stop him.

 “Doojoon oppa, won’t you see her? Please?” she pleaded, her eyes seeking his. “Just please see her before you go.”

 “I will. I’m going to find the washroom, alright?” Suzy smiled weakly and pointed him in the right direction. When he returned, Krystal’s door slid open and out stepped Minho. His facial expression froze and his fists tightened. Giving a curt nod of acknowledgement, he brushed past the younger man and went in.

Krystal was looking out the window when she heard the footsteps of her new visitor. She quickly sat up realising who it was.

 “Lie down,” ordered Doojoon making his way over to her. He stood next to her bed and looked at her properly. “How many times do I have to remind you to eat properly? Especially when you’re on your period, you know that’s when you have to be extra careful.” Doojoon poured water into a cup and handed it to her. “And I keep telling you to drink lots of water, your lips look chapped.”

Krystal bit her lip down, her eyes fluttering holding in the tears. “I forget, you know me.” She sipped from her cup carefully, her eyes watching him. “Um, how are you?”

 “I’ve had better days.” He flicked his eyes over to her. The paleness of her skin, the wispiness of her voice and her tired eyes, it took almost all of him to restrain the urge of wanting to hug and comfort her.

A nurse stuck her head in. “Excuse me, visiting hours are over, sir.”

 “I’d better get going,” said Doojoon.

 “When can I-“

 “Rest well and get better,” he interrupted. “Your health comes first before anything.” He paused before he walked out. “We’ll… talk soon.” 

***

 “I told you something was off. I told you, Jinki. Didn’t I say so?” insisted Sunny. “And she’s freakin’ married! Married!”

 “Soon to be divorced,” corrected G.O. Sunny whipped her head towards him, with an impressed curl of her lips. “Sorry.”

 “I don’t know what to do,” muttered Onew with a sigh. “I mean what do you say to a friend going through a divorce? I don’t know her husband, I don’t know how long they’ve been married, I… I don’t know the details!”

 “She told you two weeks ago, why didn’t you ask?” asked G.O.

Onew brought in some wine and snacks before settling himself on the couch. “Well, if you must know, I’m still shocked by this piece of news so if I say anything, it might be the wrong thing.” Sunny shuffled her way on to the space next to him. “I need to be her support. Things are going to be rough for her, y’know.” A slap on his arm came his way. “What?!”

 “Really, Onew, really?! Your first love comes out of nowhere, tries to be besties with you again, expecting things to return to the way it was,” ranted Sunny, “and it turns out she’s hidden a huge secret, wants a divorce and expects you to be there for her? Am I the only one that thinks there’s something wrong?” She finished her rambling without a breath.

G.O leaned back and calmly took a sip of his wine. “Female has a point, bro.” Onew let out another sigh, running his hand through his hair.

 “It’s what you said, Sunny… she’s the first love. But more importantly, I still consider her as a friend,” said Onew with a side glance to Sunny. He could see his cousin feeling annoyed. “I know you don’t like her, but it doesn’t change anything about how I... think about her.”

 “Think or feel?” enquired G.O absentmindedly. Onew felt Sunny turn her body towards him. He pondered for a few seconds before he answered.

 “... Think.”

***

 “Taemin, what brings you here?” asked Doojoon in surprise. “I didn’t know you hung around this area.”

Taemin chuckled as he fist bumped the older man. “I occasionally pop round to the dance studio down the road from here, conduct a few dance classes. Wanna order something else?” Doojoon shook his head.

 “Is she better?”

Taemin nodded. “Yeah, she’s been at home resting the past two days. Suzy’s staying over to keep her company.”

 “That’s good… good.” Doojoon stared off into space before his attention was brought back by Taemin’s waving hands. “Sorry, just thinking.”

 “About Krystal,” stated Taemin. “Hyung, she still loves you, you know that.”

 “I know. I still love her, but there’s still some stuff we need to discuss and it’s not going to change the situation overnight,” explained Doojoon. “Yeah, I acted badly at the party and I should’ve controlled myself.”

 “Nah, I think I would’ve done the same thing if I was in the same situation. God forbid, should anything happen to me and Suzy.” Taemin knocked on the wooden table twice. “But you’re one of the most level-headed guys I know, hyung. Don’t let Minho hyung get to you. Or Krystal.”

 “Isn’t Minho your buddy?” smirked Doojoon.

The younger man let out an embarrassed laugh. “Yeah, but we’re classmates. I’m actually a lot closer to you, thanks to those double dates, believe it or not. We should chill more often.”

 “Wow, this conversation just zoned into girl central. Should we schedule a mani-pedi too?” joked Doojoon, the two of them bursting with laughter.

***

Krystal waited patiently, walking across her porch. A beam of headlights caught her attention and a few moments later, Doojoon was walking up to her house.

 “You should’ve waited till I called. It’s too cold for you to be waiting out,” said Doojoon when he’d reached.

 “I just stepped out and I’m not that cold,” responded Krystal as she stared at him. At this point, all she wanted to do was run and snuggle into him and forget everything that happened. But the way he was holding himself at a distance, put her into place.

 “Um, yeah, sorry for calling you out so late but I thought I should give this to you.” He handed her a gift bag. “Merry Christmas, Krystal.”

She gasped in surprise and peeked into the bag. “Thank you, Doojoon. You didn’t have to though.”

 “Yeah, well I got it a few months ago so it’d be a waste if I just kept it.” His words stung but she tried to push it off with a smile. “You don’t have to wear it or keep it. It’s nothing really.”

 “No, no. I’m just sorry I didn’t get you anything.”

 “It’s fine. It’s late, you better head in or you’re gonna get sick again,” ushered Doojoon. They stood there looking at each other, no words being said. Krystal hesitated for a second, then ran up to hug him.

 “I’m sorry, so sorry, Doojoon,” she whispered into his jacket. She felt his arms circle around her briefly, before letting go. He stepped back with his head down.

 “Me too, Krys," he said softly, "but it’s going to take a lot more than sorry.” Krystal caught the sorrow in his eyes and it hurt her that she was the one that made him feel that way. 

***

The Christmas dinner was coming to an end and Onew was feeling anxious. He had made plans for a late night meet-up with Yeeun and needed an excuse to leave.

 “Sunny, isn’t that your fifth glass of the night?”

Sunny teetered in her heels with a silly grin. “I’m fine, slightly buzzed but I’m grrr-eat!” She brought the glass to his lips, forcing him to drink the concoction. “Drink up, Onew! Why aren’t you drinking? Get me another one. Oh, Taeyeon! You look super pretty today. Oooh, I have the hiccups.”

Onew chuckled. “That drink is definitely strong, considering how tipsy Sunny’s getting.”

 “Right? She always won those beer pong games. Let’s get her to sit and try sober her up.” They brought Sunny over to a chair and Taeyeon ran off to get her water.

 “Soonkyu, I’m going to head home first, OK?”

She showed him a thumbs up with a grin, pulling on his jacket. “I hope you have a very, very, very, merry Christmas.” Onew said his goodbyes to the other guests.

 He was about to start his engine when he noticed a figure standing in front of his car. Blinking a few times, thinking the alcohol had gotten to him a little strong, he stared out his windshield. He sat frozen in his seat, not believing the sight. The woman was completely bundled up beneath the mass of clothes but that sense of recognition, he would know anywhere. Finally getting his senses, he unbuckled his belt and stepped out. She stood there shivering, with a big smile.

 “Merry Christmas, Onew.”

It took him a few breaths as they stepped closer to one another, Onew finally wrapping her into a hug. His arms tightened around her, making sure that this was all really happening.

 “Jessica! You, you… you’re here!”

 She pulled back to look at him. “I am.” Jessica reached up to cup his face affectionately. “And you’re here.” She grinned as she saw his face of wonderment. “Heading home?”

Onew stood there wordlessly, still in shock. “Ye-yes. I just can’t believe you’re here. You were supposed to be back next week.” She shrugged her shoulders.

 “Ah, I got an early flight." Jessica glanced at him shyly. "I missed your birthday, I couldn’t miss this too.” As she moistened her pink lips, Onew swooped down for a gentle kiss.

 “This is most definitely, the best present ever,” gasped Onew as he pulled away slightly before going back in to steal her lips again. “That’s it, no more LDR’s, no way.”

Jessica giggled lightly. “I’d love to kiss you some more, but um, I’m cold and really jetlagged so maybe continue this in the car?” Onew laughed out loud.

 “Alright, ma’am, let’s get going.” He brought her to the passenger side and gave her a quick hug. “I missed you, Jessica,” he murmured into her hair.

Jessica’s already rosy cheeks tinted a darker shade of pink. “I missed you even more, Onew.”

***

I can't believe it's already a year since I started this story! Thank you to all of you. I wanna say more but I don't know any other words except for thank you :$ To my subbies, readers, commenters, everyone, without you, this story wouldn't be. Happy holidays everyone! :)  xoxox