Chapter 37

Destiny

 

 “The day came sooner than I thought it would,” said Lizzy with a smile. She took out her notebook and pen and placed her voice recorder in the centre of the table. “I thought you were never going to call me and I’d have to grovel to get your attention.”

 “I’m doing this because Coach asked me to and for the university’s image.” Krystal glanced at her blankly with her arms crossed. “Of course, I would’ve liked it if it were someone else for the interview.”

Lizzy’s lips curled into a forced grin. “Listen, Krystal, you’re not my favourite topic to write about but unfortunately my semester’s grades are on a tight leash and you’re the only way I can pass.”

 “Ah, so that must be why you turned down Woohyun sunbae’s offer to do the story first. And not because I’m your ex-boyfriend’s girlfriend.” She glared at the older woman.

 “Correction: ex-girlfriend. The last I heard you and Doojoon had split. The ‘It’ sports couple were over.” Krystal’s jaw clenched and she kept silent. The other woman scribbled on her notebook. “How did you feel after winning?”

 “Like every other winner has felt: happiness, thrilling, euphoric, gratefulness. Would you like me to get out a thesaurus for you to add more description?” commented Krystal sarcastically.

 “Thank you, but I’m very much capable of finding words. You mention gratefulness. To whom exactly?” asked Lizzy.

 “First off would of course be my family and my coach. Then my teammates and friends and the massive support from my university colleagues.”

 “You had trained with Mr. Choi Minho, who is also highly regarded and respected as another sportsman. How was it working with an old flame?”

Krystal’s hand tightly gripped her cup. “I don’t think that’s worded appropriately, Miss Park. I don’t think the university paper tolerates useless gossip.”

 “My interview, my questions. I can ask whatever the hell I want, whether you answer or not is up to you. So, was there any tension? Is he the reason to your break-up with your latest boyfriend?” Lizzy flinched when Krystal slammed her cup down on to the table. She had gotten where she wanted Krystal to be at. Angry.

 “Let me remind you, Miss Park, you are writing an article on my success as an athlete, not my private life.”

Lizzy’s hand reached out to the centre and she paused the voice recorder. “Then let me ask you as Park Lizzy, why?”

 “Why what?”

 “Why Minho? Wasn’t one enough, you just had to have the two of them?” Lizzy kept her eye on Krystal whose fists were ready to lash out. “Why are you so damn greedy?”

Krystal had had enough. “Don’t you dare accuse me of anything when you have no idea what happened between us!” She stood up and leaned across the table, her hands flat on the table to keep her steady. “You have no right to say anything to me at this moment. I don’t need your personal interference. No one does.” She was about to walk away when Lizzy spoke.

 “You hurt Doojoon.” Krystal halted in her steps. Lizzy’s words were spoken quietly. It was as if she really cared. “You hurt him.”

 “I know I did,” said Krystal harshly. “But like what I said, you don’t know the details-“

 “I’ve heard enough to know you hurt him a lot more than I did.”

Krystal whipped her head around and stared at her. “What did you-“

 “Even after he found out you were seeing Minho behind his back, being friendly with him, he pushed any thought of you actually lying to him, and he still trusted you.”

 “How-“

 “And after all that, you ask to break-up and move on to the next guy as quick as you could.” Lizzy snorted and shook her head. “You insensitive bi-“

 “Enough!” A loud voice came out and Minho stepped up from behind. “Lizzy, stop it. Stop whatever you’re doing.”

She let out a haughty laugh and clapped her hands. “And here comes Prince Minho. Why am I not surprised that you’d come galloping in, being the charming guy that you are. Feeling guilty? Jealous? What? Tell me, Minho. Tell me ”

 “Krystal, leave,” said Minho. “I need to talk to Lizzy in private. Go.”

***

You hurt him a lot more than I did.

Krystal breathlessly sat down on the nearest bench. She hadn’t expected Lizzy to say all that. To even know as much. Did she talk to Doojoon? Was she always in touch with him? And on top of that Minho and Lizzy were familiar with each other.

 “Krystal.”

She turned and saw Taemin walking towards her with a smile. She raised a heavy hand to wave back at him. “Taemin oppa, what’s up?”

 “Nothing much, just taking a breezy walk.” He sat down next to her. “How are you?” His question meant a lot more than the three words.

 “You overheard,” she said knowingly. He nodded, still grinning as she sighed.

 “Are you OK?”

She shook her head. “I’ve messed up and I want to make things right but I don’t know where to start.”

 “Start with Minho hyung and say what you need. And then talk to Doojoon hyung,” said Taemin kindly. “He’s been moping around just as much as you have.”

 “And if I can’t get things back to where they were?”

 “Well, you wouldn’t anyway, Krystal,” he said. “It’s in the past and you can’t change that. But at least you’d be the bigger person by taking the first step at repairing the situation, right?”

 “I guess you’re right.”

 “Of course I am.” She grunted and nudged his foot. “Not the foot. These are my precious babies and I just bought them.” Krystal pretended to kick and he hurriedly pulled his foot away. “Hey!”

Krystal narrowed her eyes at him. “Your precious shoes are about to get ruined.”

 “What? What do you mean?” She pointed to the sky and they both saw the dark clouds looming over them. Taemin groaned and quickly got to his feet. “I can’t get these wet, not on their first day out. I’d better get going. Oh and Krystal,” he paused and she turned to him. “There’s a football friendly today at 7 pm. I think that would be a good place to start.” He shot her a friendly wink before running off.

***

Jessica browsed from rack to rack at the store. Nothing seemed to catch her eye and she was getting a little frustrated. At this rate I might as well make my own clothes. At least it would suit my taste.

 “Well, if it isn’t Jessica Jung.” She found Donghae standing a little way from her, looking arrogant. “You attended fashion school and yet still go shopping? I would think you would wear your own designs.” He picked out a random dress and held it out to her. “This is nice. The colour would complement your… legs.”

Jessica grabbed it out of his hand and put it back. “I appreciate the input, but it would’ve been helpful four years ago when I asked for it.”

 “Are you still bearing a grudge? I didn’t think you were the type to hold something over someone’s head for so long. It’s always best to let go and move on.”

She chuckled bitterly. “Oh, I have. I have done for a long time.”

 “You do seem well. How are your parents? Krystal?”

 “They’re fine. And yours are well, I presume?”

 “Very well, thank you.” He stayed in the same position and Jessica was getting impatient. “Would you like to join me for a coffee or some dessert?”

She smirked. “Sounds tempting but I’ll have to decline. My boyfriend wouldn’t prefer it and I wouldn’t like it.”

 “You can have lunch with Doojoon and not me. I see how it is,” said Donghae nonchalantly. “Are you still cheating on your man with him? Does your sister even know?” She spun around and glared at him as he chortled. “Maybe I should give a hint to your boyfriend about you and Doojoon. How you fooled around with him when we were engaged and how you embarrassed yourself and me in front of everyone.”

 “You can shut the hell up and stay out of my business, Lee Donghae,” snarled Jessica angrily. “Quit wasting your time.”

 “Wasting my time? Let me remind you, it was you who caused everything to fall apart. Caught in another man’s arms on the day we were announcing our marriage.” Jessica’s hands curled into a ball and she held back her tears as the horrible memory came back. “Even after all that, you still have the nerve to blame me? You were the one that screwed up by cheating.”

They had walked out of the store to avoid the stares as their voices were raised.

 “You want to talk about cheating?” Jessica scoffed. “How about you? What about those late nights you stayed out at the bars, and then coming back to the hotel with those cheap girls?” His jaw tightened and he stayed mute. “You think I didn’t know? Oh, that’s right. That was the week you lied and said you had an important family meeting to attend.”

 “You’re making up bull to cover up your mistakes.”

 “And it happened every single time you went to the resort. Behind my back.”

He shook his head with a smile. “Stop it, Sooyeon,” he said with gritted teeth. She flinched as he called out her Korean name. “You have no proof. You, on the other hand, were caught red-handed by more than a dozen pair of eyes.”

 “You were caught red-handed. So many times.” Her lips quivered in anger and her cheeks flushed red. “And it wasn’t just me that saw.”

 “Ah, now you’re going to say it was Doojoon that saw right?” His lips carved into a wicked grin as he saw Jessica shrink back a little. “So you and Doojoon. My fiancée and her secret lover. How apt.”

She shook her head and slowly stepped away. “You caused me pain, but there’s someone else who was hurt even more.”

***

Can I see you before the match? I’ll be waiting by the benches.

Was what Krystal had texted Minho and he still hadn’t replied. She had seen him go into the locker rooms two hours earlier when she had made her way to her last class of the day. And now an hour later, she was sat waiting. For a reply, a Minho and the match.

 “I’m sorry, I didn’t check my phone till just now,” said Minho. “It ran out of battery so I left in the office to charge. Were you waiting long?” She shook her head. “I think I know why we’re here.”

 “You do?”

 “You’ve made up your mind haven’t you? And you’re curious about Lizzy.”

She chortled lightly. “Correct. To both. How do you know her?”

 “We dated.” Krystal’s eyebrows shot up. “Surprised, huh? I was too when I found out she dated Doojoon hyung. But it wasn’t anything too serious or as serious as she wanted it to be; for me anyway.”

 “This was when you were away,” cut in Krystal. Minho nodded. “I can see why she hates me so much. First you and then Doojoon.”

 “Yeah, well, she wasn’t entirely pleased either when I broke up with her because I still had feelings for you,” said Minho. He saw Krystal stiffen slightly. “She was convinced I transferred here for you.”

She turned to face him. “And did you?”

 “Yes and no. Yes, I was interested because you were here but really I was scouted by one of the coaches. I was applying for a scholarship that time and this university offered it.” He leaned back into his seat. “So I took it. But I didn’t know you were dating someone.”

 “But you still tried to get me back didn’t you? I wasn’t the only one-“

 “Yes.” He looked at the green football pitch, empty and waiting. “I thought we could start right back where we left off.”

 “I think I felt that way at some point,” said Krystal quietly. “When I saw you for the first time after so long, it was like we were back in high school all over again. Just me and you.” She paused as she broke out into a sad smile. “But I realised it could never be that way again. We were two different people back then. We can never go back to past and change things to suit us now.” The opposing team had made their way on to the field and were warming up.

 “So, this basically means ‘Hey, Minho, I don’t wanna be with you,’” interrupted Minho. “’And we’re going to stay friends?’”

She chuckled. “Yes and no.” He raised an eyebrow. “I love Doojoon.” Minho nodded unconsciously. “And even though he drives me insane and we have our tantrums, I’m my happiest at those times. A part of me will always care for you but that’s it.”

 “And no?”

She breathed out slowly. “I don’t know if we’re OK being friends just yet. Not because I’m afraid of my feelings for you but more so to respect my relationship with Doojoon. I think that’s one step to repairing our relationship.” Krystal caught sight of Doojoon on the field staring at her and she stared right back. “That is, if it’s repairable.” He flicked his eyes to Minho and back at her before continuing to warm up.

 “It will be,” said Minho comfortingly. “You’re Jung Soojung, anything is possible.” He stuck his hand out and she shook it with a light laugh. “I better go warm up. Take care, Krystal. And good luck, with everything.”

 “You too, Choi Minho,” she said with a smile. “You too.”

***

Thank you to you readers, subscribers and the comments! Will try to get another chapter up ASAP! :)