Chapter 15

Destiny

He leaned against his car, right leg shaking nervously as he waited for her to come down.

 “Shall we make a move?”

Onew blinked and realised the situation. Flustered he ran over to open up the car door and waited for Jessica to get in. As he walked back to his side, Onew took a deep breath and calmed himself down.

 “So where are we headed to?” asked Jessica, fastening her seatbelt. She turned to face him and Onew froze.

Lee Jinki get a grip of yourself. This is like any normal date. Like the ones before. Don’t ruin it before it’s even started.

Jessica waved her hands, trying to grab his attention. “Onew? Are you OK? You look kinda pale.”

 “I, I’m f-fine. Ahem. It’s a… secret,” Onew finally answered. “Just follow my lead Miss. Jung.”

***

 “This place has the best spaghetti carbonara,” commented Onew, taking her chair out and waited for her to be seated. “And the cheesecake, top dessert.”

 “How’d you know I liked carbonara?” Jessica asked curiously.

 “Out of the times we’ve been out together, you ordered it 3 times.”

 “Ah. I see.” Jessica smiled shyly.

 “Can I pour you a glass of the finest bubbly?” Onew stood next to her, posed as a waiter ready to pour her a drink. He wriggled his eyebrows. “Sprite.”

Jessica laughed lightly. “Why yes I’d love some thank you.” Onew poured into her glass followed by his then proceeded to sit down.

The quaint little café had a comfortable and romantic feel to it, the dimmed lights and candles added on to the calming atmosphere. Their table was set in a little corner next to the window, overlooking the outside streets.

 “This is a cute place. Is this where you usually hang out?”

 “I’m… sort of a regular customer you could say,” answered Onew. “So how’s it going with Sunny?”

 “You know your cousin. She may be petite but she’s feisty in her own way,” said Jessica. “At least she knows what she wants and I don’t have to run around trying to think up other ideas. She makes my work a lot easier.”

 “That’s Soonkyu for you.” The two chuckled.

 “And you, how was your day?” The moment Jessica asked him this question he felt a slight flutter at the pit of his stomach. She’d asked him this many times before, but for some reason today it felt different. Good or bad he wasn’t sure.

 “Well with the upcoming showcase, everything’s getting pretty hectic,” Onew sipped from his drink. “Sunny gets cranky, G.O hyung gets extra sensitive with the trainees, and I only see Taeyeon when she hands me my coffee and work files. The other staff seem to be on their tippy-toes too.”

 “May I serve you sir, ma’am?” The waiter placed down the dishes along with a bowl of salad and a bread basket. “Enjoy your dinner.”

Onew watched her as she swirled the spaghetti around her fork. Honestly, he just wanted another reason to stare at her without looking too creepy and chose this time as the perfect moment. He swallowed as he watched her dainty mouth chew the pasta quietly. Only when she suddenly locked eyes with him, he averted his eyes down to his plate.

 “Are you done eating?” Jessica hid a smile, knowing that he had been watching her. Onew picked his fork up hurriedly and began to eat.

 “Tiffany’s wedding is coming up soon right? I heard you’re all maid of honours or bridesmaids was it?”

 “Oh don’t remind me. She’s turned into the ultimate bridezilla over the past 2 weeks,” admitted Jessica. “Don’t tell her I said that though! But she really is. And she’s completely banned me from seeing her dress. She said I should only busy myself with the girls’ dresses.”

 “I thought it was only the groom that wasn’t allowed to see the wedding dress?”

 “Right!? But apparently she doesn’t want to burden me with all my workload and she’s left everything up to Key and Jaekyung unnie.”

 “I’m sure she just wants to surprise you on the day itself, with you being her best friend and all.”

 “Is this you trying to justify things for the better?”

 “Is it working?” Onew grinned cheekily, and Jessica felt herself blush. The atmosphere suddenly turned awkward. “Ahem, some more bubbly for you?” Jessica nodded and held out her glass. “You never told me the reason why you don’t drink alcohol.”

She stopped mid-sip, placing her glass on the table. Running her finger around the rim of the glass, she silently pondered the question. “I just… don’t find the thrill in it. I do enjoy the odd glass of wine when I’m at important dinners but I don’t look for it y’know.”

 “Bad experience of a killer hangover?”

 “Something like that, yeah,” Jessica answered, somewhat hesitantly.

They finished up the last of their dinner and waited for dessert to arrive. As soon as the waiter placed down the slice of cheesecake, he then reached over for the guitar in the other corner and strummed a few chords. Onew suddenly stood up and there was Sunny and Krystal making their way in from the back. Startled Jessica looked at the scene before her eyes wide open.

Onew’s voice sang out the words, with the girls harmonising in the background along with the strumming acoustics. The song ended, and Onew remained standing, frozen. The others too nervously waited for a reaction. After what seemed like a lifetime, Jessica clapped her hands and smiled, touched at the sudden event.

 “Onew, I… when did you do this? And you two were in this too? And you?” Jessica pointed to the guitar strumming waiter.

 “Um, uhh, I uh,” Onew stuttered still trying to overcome his nerves. He felt a slight nudge from the back, coming from Sunny. “I called up Sunny and she got a hold of Krystal. This here is Jonghyun. He’s a friend of mine from school. And a part-time waiter here.”

 “Nice to meet you, finally. I’m Jonghyun, Onew hyung’sprecious sidekick.” At Jonghyun’s joking remark, the tense atmosphere came down and Onew felt himself relax a bit.

 “So unnie, how’d you like it? Were you impressed?” Krystal asked impatiently. She felt a sharp pinch on her arm. “Owww, Sunny unnie!”

Sunny spoke up. “Well, since our job here is done, we should leave these two to continue their date.” Seeing that the other two had no intention of leaving, she grabbed Jonghyun by the ear and Krystal by the arm. “Now.” The two victims yelped in pain as Sunny dragged them away. “We’ll catch up with you guys later. Enjoy your dessert.” She winked at Jessica.

Onew reached over to the other table and pulled out a small bouquet of lillies. He handed them over to her. “I remember you mentioned they were your favourite.”

Jessica accepted them shyly. “Thank you.”

Suddenly the music of an acoustic guitar came out of nowhere. Onew reached out his hand awkwardly to Jessica. “Would you like to dance with me?” She nodded.

The two slowly moved to the sound of music, without the exchange of words. Jessica looked up and saw that he was staring at her. He stood closer and the gap between them shortened. She noticed that he was staring at her lips, and she quickly bit her lower lip timidly. Boldly she leaned a bit more closely and she could feel him leaning in too.

And their lips touched. Chaste and warm and soft, Jessica felt a thrill of electricity shoot through her. In a moment it was over. She turned away hastily to shelter her reaction.

 “Umm, Je-jessica. I, uh,” Onew anxiously rubbed the back of his head, his other arm still around her waist. “I wanted to, uh. I like y- OK this is not how I planned it out.” He cleared his throat. “I really li-like you. And I uh… would you like to go steady with me? Like be my girlfriend?”

***

 “Can you hear what they’re saying?” whispered Krystal, as she tried to look over Sunny’s shoulder while the latter was peeking over the counter.

 “I would be able to if someone would stop playing the guitar,” Sunny said with exaggerated enunciation. “Yes you Jonghyun.”

 “I can’t help it noona, my musical soul overtakes me.”

 “Oh my God, oh my Goddd! They kissed! They kissed!” Krystal squealed happily and high-fived Jonghyun.

 “Shhh! Shut up! They’ll hear you.” Sunny continued watching the other guests.  

 “OK this is not how I planned it out.”

 “Aiiiee, Jinki hyung you don’t say that! What have I taught you!” sighed Jonghyun, shaking his head.

 “Shhh!”

 “... would you like to go steady with me? Like be my girlfriend?”

 “What happened to his bending down and proposing like a man?” muttered Krystal.

 “Shhh!”

***

“I really li-like you… be my girlfriend?” The question was taking its time to sink in. Jessica, still trying to get over the electric feeling from just now, didn’t know what to do. Deep down she was battling with herself. A part of her wanted to say yes, while the other part disagreed.

Feeling Onew’s arm tensely tighten around her, she regarded his eyes and saw the pureness in them. And that was when she felt a different sort of electric.

 “I’m sorry,” She stepped out of his grasp and reached for her bag and ran off.

Onew stared at her back as she made her way out. He messed up. Now he might have just lost her.  

***

Sorry for the massively late update! I've been so busy with school I didn't have time to write up the chapter. Anyway Big Bang have been winning it all! Daesung lookin extra hot. SHINee's back!!  Loved the MV. And of course with the addition of Jessica <3. They never fail to impress with their choreo. Dance version of the MV just released!  Although Sherlock still needs some more listens, I love love Alarm Clock and The Reason. And Honesty... wow SHINee should do more acoustics.  :)