Chapter 18

Destiny

 “There you are!” Jessica was embraced by a gleeful Tiffany.

 “Oh Tiff, you look absolutely beautiful. Although I’m a little upset that I only got to see your wedding dress when you were walking down the aisle,” said Jessica, pretending to be angry.

 “And ruin my surprise? Of course not,” replied the bride gesturing to her dress. “You drew this dress in the 9th grade and I’ve kept it ever since. Remember? I promised that if I ever got married this would be the dress I wear. The first of Jessica Jung Bridal Wear.”

 “Well you definitely seem to pull it off well,” teased Jessica.

 “I certainly hope so. It was such a mission to keep this away from you.” Tiffany grabbed two glasses of champagne from the servers and passed one to Jessica. “I was being so picky with Key about getting it to the exact detail. And your boss, Ms. Kim, was very accommodating.”

 “Really…”

Tiffany nodded. “She’s actually not as high-maintenance as she looks.”

 “That’s my boss.”

 “And can I just say you and the ladies look gorgeous. I love the little embroidery you added in. It made it all seem so… princess-like. Just how I wanted it!”

 “I had to do something! Having no idea how the wedding dress was gonna look like, I had to go with my instincts,” said Jessica. She raised her glass, signalling for toast. “To you, Tiffany Hwang Miyoung.” Tiffany grunted at her Korean name with a smile. “I wish you and Taecyeon the best as you share your lives together.  Here’s to love, peace and happiness.” The girls’ eyes watered as they clinked their glasses.

 “Great, thanks Jessi. Now my makeup is smudged!” Tiffany dabbed her eyes delicately with a napkin. She reached over to Jessica’s hand and gave it a squeeze. “And to you, Jessica Jung Sooyeon, for gifting me the most beautiful wedding dress. For being there for me through all my ups-and-down. You know I love you right?”

 “Well duhh…”

As they laughed, they saw guests being greeted as they entered the reception. Jessica’s eyes immediately clapped on one of them.

 “Oh shoot. Jessi I meant to tell you,” said Tiffany slightly panicked. “I had to invite Donghae’s parents. I wasn’t going to initially, but you know what important people his parents are. And I couldn’t not invite Donghae as well.”

Jessica waved her hand in reassurance. “No, I understand. Don’t worry. It’s your wedding anyway.” She quickly grazed over the new guests and breathed out lightly. “I’ll just work on trying to avoid conversation.”

Another guest entered the hall and Tiffany swivelled herself in front of Jessica. “I have the perfect solution for that.” She gave a quick check-up of Jessica. “Hair, lips. Check. Eyes. Check. Smile for me. OK teeth. Check. s. A definite check. You’re good.”

 “What the…”

 “Hey.”

Tiffany hugged the person then shuffled over to the side. “Onew! Hi! So glad you could make it!”

 “Yeah, thanks for inviting me. Congratulations by the way. You look stunning,” complimented Onew, smiling. His eyes shifted over to Jessica who seemed to be concentrating on the champagne glass.

 “Aww, thank you! You look nice too. Very handsome.”  Sensing the atmosphere, Tiffany took this as a cue to go. “So, I should leave. You know. Bridal duties. You two should chat.” She gave Jessica one last hug, and leaned into her ear. “You can thank me later.” She shot Jessica a quick wink, waved at the two and left.

“So, do you want to take a walk?” asked Onew. Downing the last of her glass, Jessica nodded.

***

They sat on a small bench, in the small flower garden behind the hall. The sun down on the horizon, the air cool and peaceful. Nothing like the joyous and loud atmosphere back in the hall.

 “So um, how’ve you been Jessica?” Onew asked quietly, cracking the silence.

 Jessica let a few seconds pass by before she responded. “Good. And you?”

 “So-so.”

Once again, silence.

 “I’ll be honest. N-not very good,” admitted Onew with a bitter smile. “I… I’ve been distracted. Everything I do… and everywhere I go… it, it just reminds me of y-you.” He took a deep breath before he continued. “Each time I order cheesecake or pasta… I think of you.  When I go down to the café to order coffee, I think of you. Whenever I see lilies, I think of you. These past 2 weeks Jessica… have been terrible.”

Jessica fidgeted with her fingers, as she listened quietly. Her heart fluttered as she heard Onew’s words. Donghae had never said such things to her throughout all their years of dating, except for the occasional ‘you look beautiful’ or ‘you’re the only girl for me’. And even if he did, it didn’t feel sincere. Not this type of sincerity anyway

 “I’m still not quite sure… about how I should go about doing this. But… “ Onew said slowly. “…I know how I feel about you. And there’s this tiny bit of… I don’t know, a voice in me that tells me… that you might just feel the same way.” He paused and let out a light chuckle. “Or it could just be me being delusional and reassure myself… that someone might actually like me.” Onew shifted so that he was facing her just slightly, while she still avoided his eyes. “I don’t mean to pressure you… or rush you. No, that’s not what I want you to think. I just… needed to tell you this cos’ I really think… we might turn out good.” He frowned slightly as he recalled his words. “I mean… great. Or good… I’m not sure what word is appropriate really.”

 “Jessica? Jessicaaaa!? Oh, I’m sorry!” Sooyoung stopped in her steps as she noticed the other two. And the atmosphere that she had uncomfortably stumbled upon. “I… um Jessica we sorta, like need to sing now. I would delay it a bit more, but we’ve delayed it for twenty minutes already so, we kinda need to whiz over. Like right now.”

Jessica stood up hastily as she realised the urgent situation. “Oh gosh. I’m so sorry. I guess I lost track of time… and yeah we should go.” She took hold of Sooyoung’s hand and jerked her along to the hall entrance, before stopping and turned around. “Onew, I… I need to um… sing. I-I’ll find you later right?” She asked, with a mixture of hope and doubt in her voice. Onew smiled in return.

 “Yeah. I’ll be around.”

 “Hi! Sorry! Onew! Oww Sica!” yelled Sooyoung as she was dragged off.

***

 “God, woman! I swear if you didn’t turn up at that second, we would’ve sung without you,” complained Yuri, fluffing her hair fussily. “And then all our harmonies would’ve been messed up and…”

 “Well I turned up didn’t I?” Jessica searched around the hall, sifting through the guests carefully. She still couldn’t find him and she was getting impatient. “You guys, we’re done now right? I just need to find someone.”

 “Oh yeah! That’s right,” exclaimed Sooyoung with a mouthful of cake. “Man, this cake is good. Who made this? Ah, anyway  Jessica what happened with Onew just now?”

 “You were with Onew?”

 “Did you kiss and makeup?”

 “Are you officially together yet?”

 “Did you manage to discuss things properly unnie?”

 “You didn’t say sorry again did you?”

 “Unnie, he’s over there! With Sunny unnie.” All five girls turned and saw the two cousins, seemingly to be in deep discussion at the other side of the hall. As if they could sense they were being talked about, Sunny and Onew caught sight of the 6 bridesmaids eyeing them, and the one out of place arm of Yoona’s that remained pointing in the air.

Taeyeon promptly pushed Jessica forward in haste. “Well, hurry along! Don’t keep the man waiting.”

 “OK! I’m going, going. Jeez!” Jessica nervously took her steps, making her way through the crowd as Onew too made his way towards her. She quickened her pace as she got nearer.

 “Onew.”

 “Jessica.”

They let out a laugh as they spoke at the same time.

 “We, tend to do that quite a bit don’t we?” grinned Onew.

 “What?”

 “Talk at the same time.”

She chuckled. “Yeah, seems like it.”

 “I saw your little performance. The song was really nice. And your voice, your voice was beautiful.”

 “Thanks,” blushed Jessica. “It was just a small gift for Tiff and Taecyeon, from us girls.”

 “I’m sure they’re touched. It’s a memorable one.”

 “Do you wanna get something to drink? You might be a bit thirsty after-“

 “Sooyeon?” A female’s voice called out to Jessica. Onew and Jessica turned and there was an elder lady, rushing her way over . She reached out to hug Jessica and grabbed her hands excitedly. “Oh my! I was searching for you after I saw you singing. I was afraid that I might’ve missed  you without saying Hi.”

 “Mother! H-hi!”

Jessica’s mum? Onew watched the scene before him, as the two females chattered with one another.

 “How have you been dear? We haven’t seen you for a while.”

 “I’ve been well. Just busy, y’know with work and stuff,” replied Jessica kindly. “How about you? And Mr. Lee?”

 “Oh why the formalities all of a sudden, you can still call him Father you know,” said the lady affectionately. She turned to Onew with a curious smile. “And who’s this handsome young man? Your boyfriend?”

 “I’m Lee Jinki, or you can call me Onew.”

 “Hello hello! What a pleasure to meet you. Wow, don’t you two look beautiful together,” the lady gushed, making them blush.

 “Jessica! Photo time!” Krystal came running out to Jessica, and saw the extra guest. Recognising the face, she greeted and bowed stiffly. “Unnie, it’s our family’s turn for a photo with the bride and groom.”

 “Oh yes! Excuse me for a while,” said Jessica. Onew nodded and remained standing alone with the woman guest.

 “I’m sorry, I don’t think I got your name?” asked Onew politely.

 “Ah yes, I’m sorry! How rude of me to not introduce myself properly,” she said apologetically, with a small laugh. “Kim Misun, I’m a friend of the Hwang family. Right over there, standing by the desserts,” she pointed to two dressed up men, “that is my husband, Lee Dongyeop and my son, Lee Donghae.”

Lee Donghae.

Onew stared at the two men who were chatting together, in particular the familiar face. He could feel himself getting uncomfortable and agitated the more he looked at Donghae. The same feeling he had when he bumped into Donghae at the convenient store with Jessica.

 “Sorry that took so long,” said Jessica breathlessly. “We had a slightly fussy bride, and a perfectionist sister with a boyfriend accessory.”

Donghae and his father walked over to the three at the request of Mrs. Lee, hands carrying glasses of their beverages. Jessica reached out and unconsciously gripped Onew’s fingers tightly. Onew looked down at their hands and then read Jessica’s facial expression. She looked pale and if he had another word to describe it, petrified. A complete turnaround from the way she was when she encountered Donghae the last time.

 “Jessica! How lovely to see you!” Mr. Lee hugged Jessica and shook Onew’s free hand, the one that wasn’t being crushed by Jessica’s fingers. “Nice to meet you.”

 “Lee Jinki, nice to meet you too.”

 “Jessica.”

Her fingers tightened even more. “Donghae.”

Onew sensed the hostility in her voice, and if he didn’t do anything right now, his fingers would fall off with the lack of circulation. “Would you excuse us? I think they’re calling us for photos again.” Onew pulled Jessica behind him as he bid his farewells. “It was a pleasure to meet you, Mr. & Mrs. Lee. Enjoy the rest of the night.”

***

Jessica sat at the empty table whilst she waited. She did not expect to bump into the Lees, particularly Donghae. That unexpected meeting brought up old feelings she had wanted to forget. Feelings she had buried deep, deep down. Onew returned, glass of water in one hand, and a plate of dessert in the other.

 “Chocolate cake, always the perfect cheer-me-up,” said Onew as he took a seat.

 “I don’t need cheering up.”

His hand up shot up. “Yeah, but my fingers certainly need it. You have some hidden strength in you Miss Jung.”

Jessica giggled. “Are you upset that a girl might’ve been stronger than you?” she badgered, as she pretended to wrap a bandage around it. “There, all taken care of.”

Onew clasped his fingers around hers, and held it firmly. “Jessica, I-“

 “No, Onew let me speak first.” Jessica took a deep breath and looked at Onew straight in the eye. “I’m sorry for running out on you last time. I was confused and, and I didn’t know what to do… and I didn’t know how I felt.” She bent her head down as she tried to find the words to explain to him. “I’m just slightly new, to this whole dating thing after so long and I guess I freaked out a little. I’m a little scared to be honest.” Jessica caught sight of Donghae hanging around, having a chat with Taecyeon and his parents. Onew followed her gaze.

 “I won’t hurt you like he did,” murmured Onew quietly. She felt him pull her hand into his lap and Jessica returned her gaze to him. “I promise you, I won’t ever do that to you OK?” She nodded as Onew pulled her into a hug and she sunk herself into him.

***

I'm so sorry for the late update. School has been keeping me soooo busy! Hopefully I'll be able to put up another chapter soon. Enjoy :) Oh and thank you to my new subscribers! Love!