Chapter 20

Destiny

 

 “How long have you been with Onew?”

 “Almost 5 months,” answered Jessica. She passed her sister a toasted bagel and continued with her sketching. “Why?”

 “5 months and we still haven’t gone on a double date,” said Krystal sulkily.

 “You know Onew’s been busy with work and he’s doing his part-time for school,” explained her sister, still not looking up. “And I have deadlines, because I work.”

 “Well not for long right?”

Jessica stopped sketching and calmly took a sip of her coffee. “I haven’t gotten a reply yet.”

 “You applied last autumn, isn’t it about time they give out replies?”

 Jessica sighed. “These things need careful consideration and there are lots of applicants to narrow down. We’ll just have to wait till they’ve narrowed enough.” In actual fact, she too was getting impatient with the late response. "I'm not getting my hopes up for this."

 “How cool would it be though if you got through? An internship in New York, it’s what you’ve wanted to do since you got into fashion school.”

 “It would be cool. But we don’t know, cos’ I haven’t gotten an acceptance letter,” said Jessica. “Or a rejection letter.”

 “Whilst we wait, wanna join me drool over Josh Hartnett? ‘40 Days & 40 Nights’ is on the film channel at 11.”

 “That’s ually explicit.”

 “Please, if anything is explicit, it’s the I have when I see Josh Hartnett.”

***

 “Did I mention how much I enjoy a girls’ night in?” said Joon, relaxing back on the comfortable reclining chair.

 “Plus the constant nagging you’re getting from Hyosung, yeah.” Doojoon munched on crisps, eyes fixed on the TV screen.

 “I get it from Hara too. But only when it’s her time of the month,” chipped in Junhyung with a shrug.

 “Yeah well, wait for it. When you guys get married and are expecting, mood swings are all over the place.”

 “Haven’t crossed that bridge yet, we’re still good.”

 “And the cravings. God, the cravings! Who the hell eats kimchi and ice cream?”

 “Pregnant women,” said Doojoon.

 “Together. Together.” Joon used his hands to further emphasise his point. “All mashed up, in a bowl.”

 “Oh that’s right, you have a pregnant wife.”

Snickering, Junhyung grabbed the remote and flipped the channels. “Any recent news from Lizzy?”

 “Lizzy? Who’s Lizzy?”

Doojoon shot Junhyung an annoyed look. “Doojoon’s clingy ex-girlfriend, who wants him back.”

 “Whoa dude, withholding important info. Fill a guy in.”

 “This is not important info,” sighed Doojoon. “We met up that one time and she told me she wanted me back. And I told her I was in a happy relationship. The end.” He got up and left to go to the bathroom.

 “That’s a ty ending. Girls never let things go that easily,” continued Joon when Doojoon returned. “You gotta read between the lines. She wants something.”

 “No, really? I think she might have mentioned me.”

 “No. But something something. Or she’s feeling threatened by something. Or someone.”

 “That’s what I said too,” said Junhyung. He gave an ‘I told you so’ smirk to Doojoon.

 “And you mentioned clingy? Clingy is never good.” Joon checked his phone for the any missed calls or messages and pouted. “Hyosung hasn’t called or texted me at all tonight.”

 “Says the one that said clingy is never good,” retorted Doojoon as Joon typed a quick text message and sent it.

 “I am a loving husband who is worried about his pregnant wife.”

 “She’s having a night in with her girlfriends, I’m sure she’s perfectly fine,” said Junhyung. “Back on to the main topic of discussion: Lizzy.”

 “Ah yes, before I got distracted. So Lizzy plays Pop goes the Weasel and then sneakily decides she wants you back,” analysed Joon. “Something must’ve triggered her to find you after all this time.”

Doojoon thought about Joon’s words, and momentarily drowned out the ongoing debate between his friends. Lizzy was the first girl he was serious with and he was head over heels in love with her, so in love with her that he considered marriage, even at the young age of 22. He didn’t care about how controlling and bossy she was, or how materialistic she could get; he thought it was love.

And then something clicked.

 “There could be one reason,” said Doojoon slowly, as he tried thinking about the sudden Lizzy visit. “She started dating this guy after she we broke up. I heard from my older sister that she was really into this guy. They were together for a few months and then they ended.”

 “OK and?”

 “Hold on, let me make a call and check up on something.” Doojoon went off and called his sister to clarify his assumptions, what he hoped, would be wrong. He returned with a grim expression.

Junhyung muted the TV and raised his eyebrow s in question. “Well?”

 “The guy, Lizzy was dating, I know him.”

 “That was present tense, so he’s a recent encounter,” said Joon. “You got his name?”

 “Yeah.”

***

 “Bae Suzy!” An infuriated Krystal, stormed into her room startling Suzy who was lazing on her bed. “When were you going to tell me that you had signed me on for the school talent show?”

Suzy got up hurriedly and glanced at Krystal with an uh-oh face. “Your mum said that we’d have dinner as soon as you came home, so let’s go!” Krystal blocked the door and folded her arms. “Soojung I had to! That stupid Kang Jiyoung was raving about her amazing performance and she kept rubbing it in my face during class. And she was totally flirting with Taemin oppa, right in front of me. I had to do something.”

 “So you just had to bring me down with you?”

 “I tried to ignore it! But she just,” Suzy threw her fists around in the air as if she were throwing punches at someone, “…kept egging me on and on and on. And the last straw was, ‘oh I’m sorry Taemin oppa, I didn’t see you standing behind me’ and then bent down to the floor to pick up a non-existent pen.” She clasped her hands, begging. “Please Krystal, please please please please!”

Krystal shook her head, still not convinced. “The talent show is in ten days! Ten days! We can’t come up with a talent-worthy performance in such a short period of time.”

 “Open your mind. Think positive. Positive energy, come to me,” said Suzy as she positioned herself into a yoga pose, closing her eyes to add to the effect.

 “Well it better be mind-blowing, if we need to impress.”

 “We need to nail this in the and show that Kang Jiyoung,” nodded Suzy, breaking out of her calming yoga stance, scrunching her face in determination.

 “We could totally own that stage.”

 “And totally own that trophy.”

 “And totally own Kang Jiyoung!” Krystal’s eyes flared as she curled her fists. “Oh I am so riled up right now!”

 “That’s the spirit!”

 “You know what, I just remembered something about her. She actually made a pass once at Doojoon. Yeah, she did. That girl, she pranced around the track while the boys were practicing football. Who the hell does she think she is?” Krystal's nostrils flared as she ranted. 

 “Um, Krys, that’s cos’ she’s a cheerleader.”

 “Ugh, whatever. That girl better be prepared. Bring it on Kang Jiyoung!”

Suzy’s stomach grumbled as if in agreement. “And we’re gonna need energy and massive brainpower to come up with a stage. So I suggest we get food. Your mummy’s food.” She had her eyes wide open and a cheeky smile.

 “Yeah, yeah, let’s go feed you.”

***

Doojoon stood by the doors of the dance studio as he observed Krystal and her friends practicing their choreography for the talent show. He carefully watched the way she moved, her hair whipping back and forth as she danced to the music.

 “You’re here!” Krystal ran over and planted a kiss on his cheek. “What do you think?”

 “That you’re sweaty.”

 “I knew you could be funny. I meant what we’ve prepared so far, for the talent show.”

 “It’s looking great. ‘Buttons’ by the Pussycat Dolls, pretty good song choice.”

 “Uh-huh.” Krystal punched him in the stomach and he yelped. “Don’t even get that far with your imagination mister.”

 “I’m a guy, it’s only natural.”

She slipped her hands into his and turned to face him, staring at him adoringly. “You’re my guy, so you better halt those thoughts.”

Doojoon chuckled at his girlfriend’s polite plea and they remained standing there, looking at each other. It felt so right, so perfect.

 “So let me get this straight, you’re cancelling our ice cream ritual, because you hate Kang Jiyoung?”

 “I’m doing it for Suzy and this apparently counts as part of an elective,” clarified Krystal, playing with her boyfriend’s fingers. “And I want to see Jiyoung’s face when she gets defeated.” She knew she was being childish, but her competitiveness sometimes got the better of her.

 “I hate to break this beautiful moment but um, five days,” said Luna, with an apologetic smile. The couple turned to her with a light laugh and waved her away. Doojoon nodded at Krystal to go ahead with what she was doing previously.

 “I’ll catch you later,” he said, kissing the side of her head and giving her a quick hug, his phone went off at the same time. “I have to meet someone anyway. Bye girls!”

Suzy yelled from across the room. “Byeeee Doojooooon oppaaaa! We love youuuu!” 

***

Dum dum dummmmmm, who could this guy be?  :)