Epilogue

Destiny

 “Mummy, Minwoo dropped his ice cream on the ground!” Four year old Jae In pointed a chocolate covered finger at her three year old cousin. “He dropped his ice cream!”

Minwoo’s lips quivered, his eyes watering as realisation hit him. “My- my i-ice cream-”

 “It’s alright, Minwoo.” Jessica’s swiftly crouched down and wiped at his stained mouth with a wet tissue, consoling the young boy before he burst out into tears. “We’ll get you another one, don’t worry. Step to the side while I clear this up OK. We don’t want people getting dirty shoes.”

 “I told you the cup was better,” said Jae In. Minwoo eyed her strawberry ice cream, his mouth agape. “You’re too clumsy.”

Onew looked at his daughter, impressed by her sudden vocabulary. “Where did you get the word clumsy from?” he asked.

 “Granny did. She told me you were so clumsy when you were little. She showed me a picture of you with a broken arm.” She peered up at him, her eyes glittering with concern. “Did you cry when you hurt your arm, Daddy?”

 “I think I did.”

She reached up to pat his arm sympathetically. “I’m sorry, Daddy.”

 “I’m OK, sweetheart.” He looked over to the side and saw Jessica hugging the other child, as he wept over his empty ice cream cone. He glanced at his watch. “Isn’t it about time Krystal and Doojoon reached? What’s taking them so long?”

 “They stopped over at the pharmacy to get some meds. You know how Krystal gets when it’s vacation time,” replied Jessica. “And now that she’s a mother, she’s even more over the littlest things. I never thought Krystal would be the worrywart between the two of us. She convinced Doojoon to keep two First Aid kits in the car.”

Onew chuckled. “You were the same the first year after Jae In was born, Jessica. You had three baby monitors in her room.”

 “But only during the first year! When she was eight months there were only two monitors. I was a lot more lenient after that. I’m lenient now.”

 “Of course you are, no need to get all defensive.”

 “I am not getting defensive. Am I not more flexible now, Jinki?”

 “You are, darling, you are,” said Onew soothingly. Jessica’s sudden flare-up caught him by surprise but he kept quiet. “Let’s get the kids upstairs.”

 “Where the hell is Jung Soojung? I am going to-”

Jae In gasped. “Uh-oh, naughty mouth, Mummy.” Jessica clasped a hand over and looked down at her daughter sheepishly.

 “I’m sorry, baby. Your Auntie Krystal is-”

 “Your Auntie Krystal is here!” Krystal appeared from behind with Doojoon trailing behind her pushing a baby stroller. Her hands were lugging various bags and she dropped them promptly as she reached the other family. “Apologies for the lateness. The husband forgot to fill up the car and we had to drive around for nearly an hour to find a petrol station.”

Doojoon rolled his eyes. “We were also stuck in traffic.”

 “And all those beeping horns,” huffed Krystal with a hint of annoyance. “I’d just gotten Minhye fed and asleep and we had to get ourselves caught snap bang in the middle of a jam. Why keep beeping when clearly there’s nowhere to move?”

Jae In tugged at her arm. “Auntie Krystal, look! We got ice cream but Minwoo dropped his on the ground because he was clumsy.”

Krystal and Doojoon looked at the little girl in wonder and then back up at her parents. They shrugged. “Apparently my mum was sharing stories of my childhood,” said Onew.

 “She said Daddy always hurt himself because he was clumsy.”

Doojoon her hair and chortled. “Your Daddy is a professional at it, Jae In. It’s a good thing you didn’t get his clumsy genes then huh?”

“Genes?” Her eyes widened and she excitedly rushed to her cousin. “Minwoo-yah, take your jeans off! That’s why you’re clumsy!”

***

Krystal cupped her round cheeks and squished them between her palms emitting a giggle from her niece as she rubbed in the sun cream. “Auntie Krystal, why do I need to put this on again?”

 “Because you need to protect your skin from the sun. People can get sick when you’re out in the sun too long.”

 “But I put it on before. Daddy put the lotion on my face and my arms,” Jae In pointed to each body part as she rattled them off, “and my neck and my shoulders and my legs and-”

Krystal narrowed her eyes. She remembered her sister telling her about Jae In’s new interest of naming all parts of her body. It was the latest thing she had learnt from school. “Where’s your elbow?”

Jae In proudly stuck her arm up and pointed. Krystal rubbed on another slob of lotion as she chuckled. “Does Minhye have to put it on too?”

 “Oh, thank you for reminding me, I almost forgot about Minhye! Do you want to help me by putting some on her?” Jae In’s eyes sparkled and she nodded vigorously. “Here you go. Be careful not to get any into her eyes OK.” Krystal’s gaze flicked to the side and she saw her son’s face contort into a mass of expressions. It was a look she knew all too well. “Yoon Doojoon, your son needs the toilet!”

Doojoon looked up from the newspaper. “He can just do it in his diapers.” He jerked when his wife brought her hand to twist the space in his side. “What?”

 “He will never get the hang of potty training unless we show him. Take him. Now.” Her dark eyes glared and Doojoon immediately got to his feet.

 “Minwoo-yah, let’s bring you to the men’s room.” Minwoo dropped his toy to the ground and toddled off with his father.

 “How long has it been since you started potty training, Krystal?” asked Jessica.

 “Almost two months. The other day was the first time I decided to not let him wear diapers and we were good for about five hours. Then I found him sitting in a corner of the room, trying to poo himself.” Onew and Jessica laughed out as Krystal shook her head. “And it was on the carpet that Doojoon’s mum gave us for a housewarming gift. Can you imagine the horror if I hadn’t caught him in time?”

 “It’s expected. Jae In used to find it a hassle to climb on to the toilet seat, she just went into the shower and peed there. It took us awhile to teach her that was not right even though that was the easy option.”

 “Jessica.” She turned to Onew’s voice and he nodded towards the figure that was walking to them. went dry and she felt the nerves creep on her body. It was a familiar face, one she hadn’t seen in a very long time. Their eyes met and it stayed as it got closer. Onew made a move to stand when Jessica wrapped her hand around his arm.

 “It’s fine. We’ll just talk. Take the girls to the pool.”

Krystal bit her lip. “Unnie, maybe-”

 “Jae In, go with your daddy to the pool. Hurry along.” Jessica nodded slightly and with a reluctant huff, Krystal carried Minhye and walked away. Onew’s hand made a small rub of assurance on her palm and he gently kissed her cheek. “I’ll be right over.”

The guest stood by the table as the rest of Jessica’s family politely left.  

 “Sooyeon.”

Jessica smiled, a smile that held both happiness and sadness. It had been years and it was evident on Mrs. Lee. She still exuded grace and elegance, but the lines and paleness that marked her visage showed her age.

 “Mrs. Lee.” It wasn’t Mother anymore. That was for Onew’s mother. Her own mother-in-law.

The older woman watched as Jae In playfully squeezed her father’s cheeks and he tickled her causing her shrill laughter to be heard. “Your family is beautiful.”

Jessica’s smile remained. “Thank you. Please, take a seat.” She waited for her to start the conversation but when the atmosphere got too awkward she spoke. “How is everything?”

 “Fine. Just fine. I’m sure you’ve heard my husband has retired. My eldest son is in charge now.”

 “Yes. I saw the news.”

 “You have two children?”

 “One. The other is Krystal’s daughter. She has an older son too.”

 “What’s her name?”

 “Jae In. Lee Jae In,” answered Jessica proudly.

 “She’s beautiful. As are you, Jessica. It seems like the years haven’t caught on you yet.”

Jessica shook her brown tresses shyly. “I’m trying to not let it get to me. Jae In helps with me getting fit. A four year old is more than enough than an hour of gym time.”

 “Are you doing well?” It was a simple question but it held many answers. Mrs. Lee watched her carefully as she waited.

 “I am.”

Mrs. Lee nodded. “I’m surprised to see you here. Of all places I didn’t think you would want to return here again.” Jessica looked up and saw the curiosity that lined her eyes. “I assume this is the first time you’ve been back since… those years ago.”

She stayed silent for a moment before nodding. “That is true. But I have another reason why I chose to come back here.”

Donghae’s mother raised an eyebrow but did not ask why. “It must be a very good reason then.” Jessica smiled slightly and her eyes fell on Onew as he played with their daughter. Even from afar, she could see the bright smile that lit Jae In’s face. “Well, I must get going. I have a dinner to attend and I mustn’t be late. I just wanted to say hello.”

 “Ah, yes. Please send my regards to Mr. Lee.” She stood up politely and was surprised to see Mrs. Lee’s hand in front. With a hint of a doubt, she too stuck her hand out and grasped the other for a shake. “Do take care of yourself.”

 “The same to you, Sooyeon. You have a beautiful family and I’m happy for you. I truly am,” said Mrs. Lee. Her voice was thick as if she were trying to hold her tears back. She had hopes for her son and Jessica. She wanted what Jessica had now. She wanted a granddaughter like Jae In. But those dreams were gone.

 “Mrs. Lee,” called Jessica. She turned around. Jessica fidgeted and wrung her wrists, as she debated her next question. “How is Donghae?”

The older woman stopped and her eyes fell to the ground before it made its way back on to Jessica’s face.

 “Better. He’s better.”

 “I’m glad to hear that.”

Mrs. Lee smiled sadly. “Goodbye, Sooyeon.”

Jessica returned the smile and bowed. “Goodbye.”

And like that, with that last goodbye, Jessica could finally end that chapter of her life.

***

 “Is she asleep?” Doojoon turned to the lean brunette that sidled her way to him on the couch. Krystal dropped her tired body down, her head resting on his lap.

 “Finally. Just as she was about to nod off she’d suddenly start whining again. The teething is really getting to her.” Krystal closed her eyes as Doojoon softly played with her hair. They basked in the dimness and silence of the room. Krystal’s eyes opened and she looked up. “I have something for you.” And she excitedly got on to her feet and returned a few minutes later, with her hands behind her back.

Doojoon raised an eyebrow. “I thought we said no presents this year.”

She slid into her spot again and nodded. “I know, but it’s our anniversary and I decided that since you’ve always been the bigger one on giving, I would ignore that. And I also mean that literally because I ballooned to twice my size when I was pregnant.” He chuckled as he shook his head.

 “Soojung, you didn’t have to.”

 “But I wanted to,” she said earnestly as she took out a box, wrapped in paper that was clearly scribbled on. “With the help of your son’s artistic skills, this is for you. Try not to rip the paper, Minwoo said he wanted to ask you how his dinosaur looks like.” She pointed at a drawing of an ellipse and numerous lines.

 “Oh, that’s definitely a T-Rex.”

 “Really? I say pterodactyl. Open it up.”

With an excited flutter, Doojoon steadily unwrapped his gift and was presented with a silver watch. He turned to look at his wife and was about to reach in for a kiss when she tugged at his chin and gestured for him to look at it again. His smile widened.

 “Year after year you’d always get me charms to add on to my bracelet,” said Krystal quietly, her fingers touching the bracelet that always hung on her wrist, “each one representing the special moments I’ve had and I’m reminded of how blessed I am every day. So I figured I’d get our initials engraved on the watch.”

He held up his left hand. “We got that on our rings?”

She smiled. “But it’s not just the two of us now is it?”

Doojoon gazed back down at the watch and his eyes traced the intricate print of the letters ‘D’ ‘K’ and ‘M’ and his lips tugged at another smile as he thought of their two children. “No, it’s not just us two.” He brought his hand up to cup Krystal’s chin and moved in closer. He stared deeply into her eyes with a smile that could express all he felt. “Thank you.” He kissed her. “For everything.” He kissed her again.

Krystal chewed the inside of her cheek as she held back her tears.

 “Baby, why are you crying?” asked Doojoon laughing at his wife’s sudden waterfall.

Krystal too was caught by surprise at her sudden burst of emotions. The two simple words, thank you, had tugged at her heart so much more than it she thought it would. Her mind was screening through the times she had shared with this one man.

The times they broke up and she thought she’d lost him forever. The time when she was finding it difficult at school and he came by every night with a cup of coffee to help her. The time she found out she was pregnant a month before graduation. That was quickly followed with his proposal and they were married a few months later, sharing their lives from that day onwards. The time she almost lost Minhye and she had no one else but Doojoon by her side in the delivery room. She could not help herself as she thought of each and every single one of them.

 “Doojoon, why am I crying?” she moaned as her palms patted her cheeks.

 “You tell me, silly!” Doojoon pulled her into his arms, his chest heartily rumbling with laughter. She leaned up and her soft hands caressed his smooth cheeks and she gently kissed his jaw. “I love you.” Her fingers trailed over his lips. “We love you.”

Krystal’s eyes watered again but this time with good reason. “To infinity and beyond.” she whispered breathily. With his warm embrace, he brought her lips to his, letting them fall into the abyss of love.

***

 “We could’ve gone elsewhere for a getaway,” said Onew as Jessica set her glass of water on the table. They were relaxing by the balcony of the hotel room after having put Jae In to sleep. “It’s our anniversary after all.”

 “And Krystal and Doojoon’s.”

He chortled. “What are the chances that a couple share the same anniversary with another? And she’s your sister too.”

 “Blame the wedding hall. And Krystal’s pregnancy,” said Jessica. “It wasn’t how I wanted to spend our one year anniversary, stuck in a wedding hall, greeting guests and the flourish of curious questions. But it was my little sister’s special day. And we got some of their wedding perks too.” She let her head fall on his shoulder. “Anyway, I like that we came here.”

 “I seriously thought we were going to Tokyo.”

That was the original plan before Krystal had suggested a family holiday.

 “There’s another reason why I wanted to come here.” Onew turned to her with a questioning look. “It was here, at this very spot,” she linked her hand with his, “when I first heard you.”

 “What?” Onew looked at her bewildered.

Jessica chuckled. “That’s right. When I heard you.”

 “Are you sure? Did you get too much sun today? I told you to cover up.”

She brought her arms up to his neck and pulled his body towards her. “I always had this person on my mind. I always wanted to thank this person because if it wasn’t for them, I might not have made the decision I did all those years ago. Never before had anyone’s words soothe my heart,” Jessica brought his palm to her chest, where he could feel it beat softly against his fingertips, “this very same heart that was filled with pain and abused love.” Her hands crept up slowly, bringing his face down so that she could stare into the eyes of her love. “I had almost given up. I was ready to devote myself to a life that I thought was meant for me because it was what I believed to be true. What I thought was love was not. I knew love to be caring for someone, even if meant you had to be hurt and cry over it every single day. And I was ready to live that life. But then you came along. And I’ve never forgotten it, not once.” She brushed her lips over his holding back from a kiss. “No man or woman deserves to be needed if you’re treated that way. I hope you’re strong enough to decide what’s right.”

Onew remained silent. He was still trying to figure it out. What did she-

He pulled back as his mouth dropped. It suddenly hit him. This very same hotel, the disturbance that Jonghyun and he interrupted and the crying neighbour he overheard. He always wondered what had happened to her.

 “That- that was you?”

Jessica nodded with a small smile.

 “But how did you- did you know it was me?”

 “The time Yeonhee came over and we were talking remember? You said the same words to her as you did to me. It took me awhile to recall but when I heard your voice, I knew, I just knew it was you.”

Onew shook his head. “I don’t believe this.” He looked at her again, his expression filled with complete shock. “That’s- this- I think this beats having the same wedding anniversary as my sister-in-law.”

Jessica laughed as his arms slid around her, pulling her close. “Funny how things fall into place isn’t it?”

 “Indeed.”

 “Thank you.” He furrowed his eyebrows. “I never got to thank you sincerely, so thank you.”

 “Jessica,” Onew pushed her bangs away from her yes and stared deeply, “they were only words. But you, you were the strong one to leave it all.”

 “But I couldn’t have done it without you.” And she meant this not only for that night but for the times he stood by her. The moment he came into her life, everything changed and truly he was the greatest blessing.

 “I think Doojoon deserves some credit though? He wouldn’t be pleased,” said Onew teasingly. Deep down he was thankful to the man.

 “He knows. After all he was the only guy that stood by me and my bridesmaids. He repeatedly says he was the Man of Honour and I granted it to him.”

Onew chortled lightly. “If you knew all this time, why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

 “Because I wanted to come back here. I wanted to come back here and face the memories that haunted me for a long time.” Her eyes locked with his as she spilled her heart.

 “I thought your nightmares lessened."

 “They have. I hardly get them. But coming back here, it’s made me feel like I’ve overcome that point.” She breathed out. “Once and for all.”

Onew pressed his forehead against hers, their noses touching. “I’m always here, Jessica. I’m not going anywhere. If anything scares you, you just turn around and I’ll be there to protect you.”

 “I know.”

He captured her lips to warm his cold dry ones. Jessica sighed as she parted her lips slightly, further deepening the kiss. His hands gently moved to her sides and he brought her up.

 “Wait.” She reluctantly pulled away, still breathless from the kiss. “I have something to tell you.”

Onew regarded her in a daze, still caught up in the mood of the kiss. She reached into the bag that lay beside the chair and took out something to place it in his hand.

All Onew saw was a white stick.

And a positive sign.

His eyes doubled as he looked back and forth between his wife and the object in his hand.

 “You- you’re- are you-?”

Jessica’s hands covered her face as she nodded shyly.

 “Jessica, that’s amazing! Oh my God, we’re having another child!” Onew grinned cheekily as a thought crept. “That’s why you were a little crabby earlier.”

 “What? When? When was I crabby?” she asked immediately.

 “No! Nothing.” Her husband shook his head. “We’re having another baby.”

She brought his hand to her belly, the other to interlace with hers. “Say hello to Jae In’s little brother.” Onew’s mouth went agape. “Or sister. I only went for a normal check-up. I wanted to wait to find out the of the baby after I told you.”

His hands cupped her face and he swooped down, his lips hungrily moving against hers. Jessica gripped at his shirt pulling him closer.

 “I love you so much, Jessica Jung,” Onew said as he breathed heavily. Her fingers affectionately caressed the back of his neck as she planted gentle kisses on his neck, to his jaw, his cheek and finally to just beneath his eye.

With a smile that held happiness – happiness that she never thought she could have – she answered, “And I’ll love you forever, Lee Jinki.”

***

The End :)

Please read my Author's Note. Extremely important!