Chapter 21

Destiny

 

 “You could’ve told me you knew Choi Minho,” said Doojoon. “Or that you dated him.”

Lizzy’s lips curved into small wicked smile. “What concern is it to you?” He narrowed his eyes at her unexpected retort. “If you think he was the reason I dumped you then no. And anyway, it’s not like me and him are still together.” She looked at him straight in the eye.  “Nor him and Krystal.”

 “What is it that you want Lizzy?” Doojoon sat up straight, his expression hardening. “This isn’t you. This isn’t the Lizzy I know.”

She raised an eyebrow, cocking her head to the side. “The Lizzy you know?” She scoffed. “Doojoon, people change. We’re not the same people we were four years ago.”

 “You’re right, people do change. But I just…” He had always been a good judge of character and even if Lizzy had her bad points in her personality, the way she was acting now was far from he had imagined. “…I don’t even know what to say right now.”

 “Then don’t,” said Lizzy sipping from her cup of tea and casually bit into a cookie. “It’s in the past anyway. Let’s just move forward. We can pick up from where we left off, or we can start over. We can still be together Doojoon.”

 “Lizzy, I’ve told you before. I’m not available. Lay off!” And another thing, he was getting sick and tired of her pursuit. And what agitated him even more was how simply Lizzy said it.  

 “Fine... but you should watch your girlfriend.”

Doojoon was caught by surprise . “Excuse me?”

 “Exactly what I said. There’s another reason why Minho transferred into your university… And it’s not that they have the best sports faculty,” she trailed off at the last sentence.

 “Look, whatever it is you’re implying, stop it.” He finished up the remainder of his coffee. “You say people change? Yeah, they do, usually they grow up into mature adults. And mature is the last thing you’re being right now.”

Lizzy heaved a sigh and shook her head watching him go. “You’re still so naïve oppa, so naïve.”

***

Jessica and Key walked into the workshop, hands full carrying various colourful materials and dropped them abruptly on to the floor.

 “I think I might have to take up that gym offer,” grumbled Key as he flexed his arms. “These babies are getting weaker with each new order we get. Under normal circumstances, ones arms would actually get fitter. Apparently not mine.”

 “What gym offer?” asked Jessica, busily sorting out the cloths from one another. “Hey, I thought we ordered three of these silk catalogues.”

 “We did and those will arrive later today. And I mean those bloody gym flyers that keep popping up in my mailbox. It’s like a sign.”

Jessica reached over for a pair scissors and proceeded to cutting the needed material. “Pass me the chalk please.”

 “Maybe I’ll just work on bulking up by going to the mall. I’d be semi-working out and have fun,” said Key as he held up the material for Jessica. “Oh, you know there’s an all-kill sale downtown. Nicole and I are gonna check it out after work. Wanna come with?”

 “I don’t think so. I want to finish at least two or three of these designs before 2 pm,” said Jessica with some regret. “But if you spot something cute, grab it for me and I’ll pay you back.” She smiled at him sweetly, blinking her eyes multiple times.

 “Oh my God, no not that smile. I feel my pancreas crying out to diabetes.” Jessica whacked him playfully. Sooyoung came in and saw her co-workers laughing.

 “I want in on the joke too!” she said.

Key crossed over to her and snatched a muffin from the box she was carrying. “If Nicole saw you right now, she’d be seething at you Sooyoung noona. These are her favourite.”

 “Again, the joke please?”

Jessica rolled her eyes. “He was telling me about a sale downtown.” Sooyoung’s eyes widened. “Key, I think you got yourself a tag along.”

 “Oh no, I can’t. We’re having dinner with Changmin’s parents this evening,” moaned Sooyoung biting into her muffin sadly. “Hmm, I wonder if I could convince his mum and maybe we could maybe skip out for a while and sneak a peek at clothes galore!”

 “Yay! You sure you don’t wanna come Sica noona? The more the merrier. And if you’re worried about being the third wheel, well don’t cos’, well you wouldn’t be. You know me and Nicole,” said Key coolly.

Jessica smiled. “I’ll see how this,” she lifted up the sketch designs, “goes and if I’m done I’ll join you. Now, you two, the sewing machines chop chop!”

***

 “Well, there goes half my pay check,” said Jessica as she sorted through her shopping bags, which had collectively weighed down her arms, thanks to Key and Sooyoung’s constant badgering ‘hot item, must not leave it homeless Jessica’. “Where is that yellow ruffled top I bought?”

 “Here. And I’m gonna go try these polka-dotted shorts,” said Krystal.

 “Knock knock.” Doojoon’s head peered through the door and he saw the mass of shopping bags on the floor. “Should I even ask?”

 “Don’t. Please. I’m already feeling guilty that I just went on a shopping spree, and I’m about to comfort myself by arranging these nicely in my closet,” replied Jessica.

Krystal strode into her room, finishing with a model pose. “Changmin oppa’s mum was so right about these. I can’t believe I almost passed up on it.”

 “Hi girlfriend, it’s nice to see you too.”

Krystal rolled her eyes and strode over to him. “I was just about to say hi.”

 “Maybe I should’ve gotten those two pairs of shoes,” said Jessica. “They were so cheap too!”

 “You just said you felt guilty about spending!” protested Doojoon.

 “Unnie, we skipped out on accessories!”

Doojoon shook his head as he watched the two sisters fuss over their newly bought items.

 “Alright, let me get straight to the point. I’m here to invite you to Doojoon’s special late night treat,” he said. The girls turned to him with an identical facial expression. “What? I want company and I need to be fed!”

***

 “When’s Onew getting back?” asked Krystal.

 “Tomorrow. Hopefully he’ll stay in town longer than five days.” And fingers crossed, he’d also cancel the football with the boys. “And just maybe, we can eventually watch The Lucky One.” Krystal’s face perked up in excitement. “Alone. Just the two of us.”

 “This double date is never going to happen is it?” muttered Krystal dejectedly. “But I’ll let it off this time, since you guys haven’t really spent time together ever since you two got together. I don’t know how you do it.”

 “Do what?” asked Jessica curiously.

 “Like, deal with having to be apart with him for this long. And you’re still at the stage of getting to know each other.” Krystal chewed her lip as she spoke. “I think I’d be constantly worried… and maybe paranoid.”

 “So you wouldn’t trust me if I went overseas?” frowned Doojoon.

 “…Of course I would. We know each other and we’ve built the understanding of trust so I know you wouldn’t do anything… promiscuous.” She tried to structure her words properly to avoid misunderstanding. “I’m just saying, in the early stages of a relationship it’s where people sometimes waver.”

Doojoon paused as he realised his girlfriend’s words. “…You wavered?”

 “No, I didn’t.” Krystal chose to ignore the concern that came with the question. “You know what, I’m just blabbering right now. I have no idea what I really mean.”

Jessica continued eating, avoiding the awkward atmosphere that had just crept up. She tried changing the subject. “So that Zac Efron, he’s a hottie huh?”

 “He sure is and I'm glad he’s not around here to steal your attention.” All three turned and saw Onew standing just away from their table. Jessica’s mouth dropped open as she got on to her feet, surprised. “Hey.”

 “O-Onew, you’re here. You’re back.” Onew smiled as he saw her speechless. They stepped closer to each other, leaving a small gap between them, one neither wanted to close due to the slight awkwardness.

 “Seriously you guys,” Krystal intentionally pushed her sister making the latter fall into Onew. "…it’s been almost six months and you still don’t know how to embrace one another?”

Jessica shyly and slowly encircled her arms around his body, as he did the same. She stayed in that position, taking in the moment, her head resting on his shoulder. “How come you’re back early?” she murmured.

 “I wanted to surprise you.” He leaned back and tilted her face towards him. “And I sorta owe G.O. hyung a few game nights since I took his flight back.” Jessica chuckled and snuggled back in, forgetting there were spectators around.

 “Ahem, I think I deserve some credit too.” Doojoon interrupted in jest. “I was the one that told him to come here.”

Onew rolled his eyes and nodded. “Yes you did.” He took Jessica’s hand and proceeded to sit down. “So, what else did you have planned for tonight?” He glanced at Doojoon, who turned to Krystal, who caught the expressionless face of her older sister.

 “We were actually making a move,” she said. Jessica raised her eyebrows at the sudden exclamation and shot her sister a pleading glance. Krystal smirked. “You two lovebirds have a lot of catching up to do. And Doojoon oppa is really tired, isn’t he?” She eyed him, hoping that he’d get the gist.

 “Aaah… ohh… so tired.” Doojoon faked a yawn as his girlfriend tugged at his arm, suggesting they leave. “We’ll see you later… or tomorrow… or when-“

Krystal dragged him further away, towards the exit. “We mean goodbye and goodnight!” She saw her sister’s panicked face and smiled to herself.

Sometimes, Krystal was amazed at how smooth she worked things.

***

I want to say thank you to my new subscribers!  And also to my readers! Love :)