Chapter 17

Destiny

 

 “I give up.” Joon threw down his playing cards and looked around at the remaining five guys sat around the table. “This game is just not the same without women.”

G.O chuckled lightly. “I’m guessing you and Hyosung been spending too much time in the bedroom.” Joon’s face reddened and the other guys whooped and ooh-ed at his reaction.

 “So, Onew, anything new with Jessica since last time?” Changmin asked.

Onew took a swig from his beer and shook his head. “No. I haven’t seen her since. She’s picked up my calls but it’s like… awkward y’know.” He bit his lip, remembering their last conversation over the phone and how tense it was. “It's been two weeks now.”

 “Hyung, you need to go and meet her. Talk to her face-to-face,” chipped in Jonghyun.

 “Yeah man. You need to pursue her and make her realise that you really like her,” said G.O. “If you’re just gonna wait around and let her come to you when she wants, it may be too late and you might just lose her.”

 “I’m trying guys. But I don’t know what to say…” Onew ran a hand through his hair, feeling slightly frustrated as he always did when he thought about the situation. “… or do. I’m afraid if I do say something it might just make her run off into the other direction.”

 “If I knew anything, I’d help you out dude. But Sooyoung hasn’t said a word to me,” added Changmin apologetically. “In fact I haven’t gotten any women gossip for a while. I wonder what happened with Hyoyeon and Gikwang.”

Joon’s ears perked up at the mention of Hyoyeon. “Did something… ahem happen between the two?”

Jonghyun playfully shoved Joon off his chair. “Yah Joon hyung. You’ve got a wife. Don’t get any ideas.”

 “Doojoon, you’re dating her sister. What do you think?” asked G.O.

Doojoon, who hadn’t said a word since the conversation started, was startled at the sudden question. They all knew how close he was with the Jung sisters. He couldn’t lie and he couldn’t tell them everything either. “To be honest, I haven’t really been able to see Krystal lately. We’ve both been busy with school and the only times we got to meet was during our breaks in between classes.”

 “What is this? Love trouble in the land of buing-buing?” teased Jonghyun, earning him a kick from Changmin. “Ouch! Hyung!

 “So, things not going so well for you two either?” G.O walked back in from the kitchen, hands full carrying snacks, before tossing them on to the table.

 “I don’t know. Things are a little strained,” spilled Doojoon. “But somehow I feel like she’s hiding something from me.”

 “…a gaieuyeu,” muffled Jonghyun with his mouth full. Onew shot him a sharp look. Don’t you dare mention anything about Minho. Stay out of it! Jonghyun shrunk back and concentrated on his chewing.

 “The Jungs have made themselves the main characters of this on-going lovestory.” Changmin chimed in. “I’m slightly jealous.” He pouted.

 “Well yes, us Jungs do have the tendency to be envious of,” said G.O, straightening up his collar and rolling up his sleeves in confidence. All he got in return were packets of crisps and chocolate wrappers thrown at him.

***

 “Kim Hyoyeon, can you please stand still!”

 “Well I’m sorry! Because I’ve only just been standing here for, oh… thirty minutes.”

 “Girls! Lunch time!” Sooyoung walked into the studio, hands full carrying two bags of Subway.

 “Hyoyeon, you are not getting any food until I’ve gotten this hemming right,” said Jessica firmly, one hand still on the dress, the other with a pin. “And that goes for the rest of you ladies too.”

 “Oh my God, Jessica Jung, can you take a chill pill.” Yuri marched over to Jessica, holding out a drink for her to sip. Hyoyeon took this chance to step off the podium and scuffled over to the bags, hungry.

 “Kim Hyoyeon you get back here!”

 “Why does my sandwich have some weird olive oil dressing?”

 “Oh Taeyeon unnie, that’s mine!” Seohyun switched the one that was in her hand with Taeyeon and happily bit into the sandwich.

 “Alright girlies, any ideas as to what we’re gonna sing for Tiffany’s wedding?” asked Sooyoung.

 “I was actually thinking of busting out some moves,” munched Hyoyeon. The girls frowned. “What?”

 “I don’t think popping and locking it in front of the bride and groom, plus the hundreds of guests would be acceptable. And you’re going to be wearing a dress,” pointed out Taeyeon.

 “What about Baby Baby by 4men?” suggested Yuri.

 Jessica shook her head in refusal. “Too common. We need something fresh… and sweet… and romantic.”

 “You need romantic,” commented Hyoyeon. “Which you could have, if you bothered to call the guy.”

 “Yeah Sica, when are you gonna solve this issue with Onew?” Sooyoung made herself comfortable next to Jessica on the sofa.

 “When the time is right OK. And how did this conversation get on to my life? We’re supposed to be brainstorming for the wedding.” Jessica chewed on her food, annoyed. “Seohyun help me out here maybe.”

 “I’m still looking for… Sooyoung unnie you forgot the sweet potato donuts!” Seohyun searched through the bags frantically, her face slightly upset. Jessica let out a sigh.

 “I must’ve left them in the car. Here take my keys. Anyway did you ask Sunny about it?”

 “No. It’s too weird. I mean they’re cousins and she’s my friend. I just don’t find it… somewhat appropriate,” reasoned Jessica.

 “You work for him Tae, how’s he been at the office?” Hyoyeon asked the eldest.

 “Well, the usual. He comes in, I serve him coffee, hand him his papers. I go and vocal train with the trainees, come back, exchange a few words, more vocal training, get back papers, finish off documents and I head home,” narrated Taeyeon. She saw Jessica’s troubled face. “But he has been awfully quiet. And he’s kept to himself a lot more lately.”

 “I still don’t see what the problem is Jessica. You like him, he likes you. If the steps to being a couple were like a peanut butter sandwich, you would be peanut and he the butter,” said Sooyoung. The girls turned to Sooyoung, puzzled with the analogy she gave. “Or jam… peanut butter and jelly, if you like it that way.”

At this moment, Seohyun returned and happily sat down on the floor opening up the box of donuts.  “I got them! Have we decided on what song we’re gonna sing?”

Yuri grabbed a piece. “Nope. We’re trying to solve Jessica’s love story.”

 “I just… don’t think I’m ready to commit again. He’s the first guy that’s made any interest in me since my engagement broke off and it all seems… too soon,” said Jessica. “I knew what I was getting into when I agreed to go on a date with him. But I didn’t realise how not ready I was till he asked me out properly.”

 “Sica unnie, maybe Onew-ssi is the right person to help you ‘get ready’." The girls all turned to the youngest, listening to her intently. "Look at me and Yong oppa. I’ve always been one that’s stuck by rules and never really ventured into trying new things. But after being with him, I’ve done things that I never thought I would’ve done,” explained Seohyun carefully. “What I’m saying is, don’t hold back. Just because something didn’t work out before, doesn’t mean it won’t work out in the future.”

Taeyeon the younger girl’s hair proudly. “Trust our maknae to be the voice of reason.”

 “By the way, I thought of one song we could sing at the wedding.” Seohyun pointed to Sooyoung. “Unnie, your song.”

 “What song?”

 “The song you wrote when we were at uni.”

Sooyoung searched the other girls’ faces for clues. “I’m lost.”

 “Aigoo, unnie that How Great Is Your Love song.”

 “Oh my God that!? No.” Sooyoung shook her head defiantly. “It’s a wedding. My song is not up to that standard. No. No. No!”

 “Why not? The lyrics are just right for the occasion, and Seohyun can go on the piano,” Jessica said excitedly as she imagined it all. “I think it’s perfect.” The other girls nodded in agreement.

 “We need to ask Sunny and Yoona too,” Sooyoung said suggestively. “They’ll feel hurt without having their opinions stated.”

 “Oh, don’t you try and weasel your way out of this Choi Sooyoung. Now, get up. You and I need to finish off these dresses before Jaekyung unnie throws another hissy fit.”

***

 “I’m home!”

 “Hey Jess! Mac and cheese?” Krystal pointed to her bowl. Grabbing the fork off her sister’s hand Jessica dug into the bowl. “Whoa!”

 “Sorry! I only had…” Jessica swallowed down her food. “… a Subway sandwich today. I had to finish altering Tiffany’s bridesmaid dresses.”

 “Hey, stop! That’s mine! Get your own.”

 “I’m starving! Did mum cook anything?”

Krystal shrugged and nodded towards to the kitchen. “I think there’s some leftover fried rice and chicken.”

Jessica grabbed herself a plate, filled it with food and settled herself by the kitchen table top. “How was your day?”

 “Un… productive. I have two weeks till my deadline and I am only halfway through my assignment. Professor Woo is gonna slaughter me,” moaned Krystal helplessly.

 “Your fault. You’ve had, what, a month or two to work on it?”

 “I know, I know. Quit nagging. How are the dresses coming along?”

 “Pretty good. Today was the final alteration. I just need to get Yoona and Sunny’s then we’re done.” Jessica glanced at her sister who was playing with her food. “Is something wrong?”

 “Huh? Oh nothing. Just daydreaming.”

 “How’s Doojoon?”

Krystal twisted her fork around a bit more fiercely. “I wouldn’t know. We haven’t spoken for a week.”

Jessica raised her eyebrows and looked at her sister questioningly. She’d been so busy with the upcoming wedding that she hadn’t been able to have a sit-down conversation with her sister. Jessica read her sister’s expression and grew concerned.

 “Soojung, is everything OK?”

 “I just don’t get him sometimes! He knows I put my priorities first. At that means my studies come first,” Krystal blurted out frustrated. “Knowing that, he should understand that I can’t spend as much time with him, especially with this assignment. And I have training with Minho oppa till-“

Jessica blinked. “Excuse me, Minho oppa?”

 “Yeah, we switched partners and he’s been training with me for a while.”

 “No. Minho oppa? Since when were you on such friendly terms with him?”

 “A while. Like… 2 months or so.” Krystal avoided her sister’s eyes and walked over to the sink. “But that’s not the point. The point is, Doojoon is being so petty and-”

 “Does he know about Minho oppa?”

 “What?”

 “Does Doojoon know about you and Minho?” Jessica asked pointedly.

 “Yes! I told him about us back in high school.”

 “But now about you the two of you now.”

 “Why are you interrogating me?”

 “I am interrogating you because you are keeping something important from your boyfriend.”

 “I am not keeping anything from him. I just don’t find it important as to why I need to tell him who my friends are. God, you and Suzy honestly.”

 “Fine, you’re right. But when those friends turn out to be your ex, then it’s a whole different story Krystal.” Jessica folded her arms. “You want to talk about priorities, then make sure you know which ones should go on top of your list.” And with that little piece of advice, she went upstairs.  

***

 Onew lay in his bed that night thinking. Work over the past few weeks had been stressful and it did not help that all he could think about was Jessica. He was distracted and at times, moody. He was good at keeping his emotions in so the people around him didn’t really notice, except for those close to him.

 He’d never felt like this about a girl before. Yeeun was the only other girl he was serious about, and he’d learnt from that experience. If he’d told her how he felt earlier, maybe just maybe they would’ve been together.  But now he’d met with Jessica. And spending time with Jessica, he felt a sense of companionship that he couldn’t even begin to describe.

 He liked the expectant feeling of waiting for a call from her.

 He liked it when his message tone would go off every time she texted him.

 He liked having someone to ask how their day went and that someone was her.

 He liked it when her face would light up excitedly when she had something funny to share.

 He liked it when she would pout or puff up her cheeks when she would be waiting.

 He even liked her ‘ice-princess’ poker face when she would be daydreaming.

 He liked being able to talk about anything, just anything.

 Most importantly, he just liked her.  

***

 That night Jessica sat on her bed, fiddling with her phone. In the other hand, she fiddled with Onew’s 22nd day gift card. She read the note again.

 I like you Jessica Jung.

Short and simple. But those words held so much meaning and she felt slightly burdened by this. He had been there for her at times unexpected.

 She remembered how flustered he was when she first met him at the restaurant.

 She remembered that he was the first 'stranger' she had opened up to.

 She remembered how he had saved her from breaking down in front of Donghae.

 She remembered how he had comforted her that very same day.

 She remembered when he had asked her out for a date.

 She remembered how he’d be cautious about her likes and dislikes, especially when it came to food.

 She remembered when he had kissed her.

  Most importantly, she remembered the way he told her he liked her. 

***