Chapter 31

Destiny

 

I really want to kiss you.

I really want to kiss you.

I really want to kiss you.

 

His gaze. His voice. His touch. They didn’t seem to want to escape. It had been two, almost three weeks since it happened, but it resonated in her mind so clearly as if it had just happened a day ago.

 “Soojung.” Suzy’s voice cut into her reverie. “Smoothie or frozen yoghurt?” Krystal blinked a few times before she registered the other girl’s words.

 “Umm, frozen yoghurt. I’ll have chocolate chips, strawberries and Graham crackers for the topping.”

 “Roger that!” She skipped off to the queue, leaving Krystal pondering at the table with Taemin.

 “How’s life?” asked the boy. She looked at him, still a little zoned out.

 “It’s fine, as per usual. Now that the athletics season is over, I can get back to the books and focus on finals,” replied Krystal.

 “Anything else, that is taking your focus?” She looked bewildered, noticing the hidden message behind the question. Taemin’s facial expression remained straight though, as if he didn’t mean anything else. She shook her head. He shifted from the seat diagonal to the one opposite her. “I didn’t want to say anything, especially with Suzy around. I,” he leaned towards the middle of the table and dropped his voice down to a whisper, “overheard you and Minho hyung the other time, at the after party.” Krystal sat back, stunned. “I heard what he said. I know you two have history, and I don’t mean to pry, but just be careful.” She looked up into his eyes. “I’m not exactly your closest friend, but I regard you as one that I should look out for.”

 “Taemin oppa, I didn’t-…“ started Krystal, her hands wiggling nervously under the table.

 “I know you didn’t. I know it wasn’t you that initiated anything. Just be careful,” said Taemin with a smile. “You’re lucky Suzy wasn’t there, otherwise she would’ve blown a fuse. And we all know how she gets when a fuse has defused.” Krystal grinned feebly.

 “Thanks for not telling Suzy. I will, soon. Just, not yet.” Taemin nodded, understanding her unspoken reasons. “And thanks… for looking out for me. I truly appreciate it.”

 “Truly appreciate what?” Suzy returned, placing the tray on the table. She looked back and forth, between her boyfriend and best friend. He pulled her down into her chair, and wrapped an arm around her.

 “How much I truly appreciate you,” said Taemin. He winked at Krystal who smiled in return, grateful she had such people in her life.

***

 “I am so tired. My feet are dying for a pedicure,” complained Sohee. “Unnie, don’t you feel tired?”

Jessica tittered and continued stacking boxes. “I’ve had to work like this ever since I finished fashion school, so I’m used to it.” Sohee crouched down and let out a sigh. “Come on, Sohee, a bit more and we’re done.”

 “I love fashion. I love fashion. I love fashion,” chanted Sohee quietly as if she were hypnotising herself.

 “Everyone! Gather around,” called out Anna, the interns team leader. “We are going on a little field trip.” Excited whispers filled the stockroom. “Hush! A new boutique will be opening downtown and fortunately for you all, you have been invited. You will be picked up from here at 7 pm.” The interns made no movement and continued to stare at her. “You can finish off here at 4 pm; so that gives you less than three hours to get ready. I’d suggest you get productive and figure out your outfits while working. I’m sure you all know how to dress.” With a swift twirl, she left the room. The other interns continued with their previously paused tasks.

Sohee grumbled and made a face. “I’m so glad I put a facemask on last night. Can’t be looking puffy and matted.”

 “For who? Possible eye candy?”

 “Jessica, you don’t understand,” she wailed, “you already have a boyfriend. I, however, am free and single and nearing my mid-20s, that’s a major life crisis.”

 Jessica rolled her eyes at Sohee’s dramatics. “I swear Brian from the other group was totally checking you out. He looked gutted when you were placed in this one. He’s a cutie.”

 “And a total mop-head! His floppy hair gets to me! Is it so difficult to go to a hairdresser? Or like, get out some hair gel, geez!”

Jessica grinned. “Never judge a book by its cover. OK, we’re done here. Let’s grab a bite and then dawdle around till 4 pm. Maybe we can get off early and squeeze a little shopping!”

***

Doojoon stared at the little bundle cradled in his arms. The tiny eyes closed shut, a cute button nose, pink lips and the small tuft of hair that peeked out the little beanie.

 “You look like a natural,” spoke Hyosung as she walked into the room with a mug in hand. “How long more do I have to wait till I see your little gremlins?”

 “Not for a long time,” laughed Doojoon lightly, careful to not wake up the little one. “Krystal and I have only been together just over a year, almost two.”

 “It doesn’t hurt to plan. OK, maybe plan sounds a little too pressurising, so to… hypothesise?”

 “Hypothesise is still a bit too much, Hyosung. And besides, Bora isn’t even married yet.”

 “Your sister is another issue. She, I will deal with when she’s not busy jet-setting her life away.” Doojoon chuckled. “But I guess you’re right. I hypothesised something way different to the life that I have now. I didn’t think I’d end up marrying that goon and have a kid with him. But I wouldn’t change any of it.” She gave a motherly smile and gazed down at her son. “Here, pass him to me and drink up the hot chocolate before it gets cold.” Doojoon gently handed Jaehoon over and took a gulp of his drink. “Is Krystal going to join us for dinner? I haven’t seen her since I gave birth.”

A few moments later the doorbell rang and the two adults heard the sound of lively chatter and laughter from the living room. Krystal and Joon had made their way to the kitchen, opening up the food that she had brought over.

 “I got your favourite from the Thai restaurant, extra spicy, just the way you like it,” informed Krystal after greeting her boyfriend. “Where’s Jaehoon?”

 “He’s in the room asleep. You can go over and take a peek at him,” said Hyosung, getting out plates and cutleries. “In the meantime I’ll set up for dinner. Go on.” Krystal squealed gleefully and found herself in the baby room staring at the sleeping child.

 “Beautiful, right?” Krystal nodded silently, letting out a little sigh.

 “Look at those little fists, and those eyelashes and those lips and oh my God, he’s so adorable!”

 “Do you… want kids?” asked Doojoon hesitantly. Krystal’s back stiffened but he didn’t notice.

 “Umm, yeah. I guess,” she replied after a pause. “Do you?”

 “Mmhmm. Some day.” He slipped his hand into hers. “But that’s not part of our agenda until the next few years or so, right?”

Our.

Krystal bit her lip shamefacedly as thoughts of Minho cropped up again. “I think I heard Hyosung unnie call us. You know Joon oppa hates waiting when he’s hungry.”

***

 “Wow, this event is huge. Look there’s the editor of Cosmo magazine, and, and look! Is that, oh my God, it is! It’s Lily Cole!” gushed Sohee excitedly as she scoped out the VIP guests of the evening. “Do you think if I pretended to know her, she’d let me take a photo with her?”

Jessica swatted her arm. “No. And stop flittering. People can see.” She searched around for the other interns. “Look, there’s Brian! And wow, he cleaned up nice.” Sohee followed her gaze and saw the said man. “Mop-head no more.”

 “Whatever. I won’t pay attention until he can convert me into liking him,” grunted Sohee.

 “You are so hard to please.”

 “Excuse me.” A voice interrupted them from behind. The two women turned and found a tall, good-looking man dressed in an all-black suit, smiling at them. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to intrude but would you join me for a drink?” Jessica and Sohee eyed him suspiciously until the man spoke again. “OK, I’ll be honest. My friend is interested in you and he wouldn’t stop pestering me until I got you two, might I add beautiful, women have a drink with us. I’m Hyeongkon Kim.”

 “Where’s your friend?” asked Sohee curiously. He stepped aside and pointed out the man stood on the other side. She tilted her head to the side, so that only Jessica could hear. “He’s hot! Let’s say yes!” She asked Hyeongkon to lead the way, dragging a reluctant Jessica with her. Reaching the destination, Sohee and her admirer hit it off leaving Jessica alone with the other man.

 “So, who am I talking to?” He extended a hand out for a shake which Jessica returned.

 “Jessica Jung.”

 “Jessica. Nice name,” he said taking a sip of his drink. “Suits you nicely.” Jessica nodded once, shifting uncomfortably. God, she was going to kill Sohee. “Your glass is empty. Should I get you another one?”

 “Umm, you seem like a really nice person but I-“

Hyeongkon let out a guffaw when he noticed her face. “But you’re not available.” Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. He lifted his left hand and showed her the ring on his finger. “And I’m happily married. Going on to three years.”

She turned pink and covered , embarrassed. “I’m sorry, I didn’t notice that just now.”

 “Nah, I should’ve mentioned it earlier. Lucky my friend wasn’t eyeing you, otherwise he would’ve been upset.”

 “That would be a compliment right?” Jessica asked jokingly.

 “Of course. What brings you here, Ms. Jessica?”

 “I’m- we're interning at Harper’s BAZAAR at the moment. We got an invite. And you?”

 “I’m only here to network,” Hyeongkon answered nonchalantly. “I don’t know anything about what this,” he gestured to the boutique, “is all about. As long as I get the details of successful entrepreneurs, my job is done. And today, I had an extra role of wingman.”

 “And here you are, talking to an intern.”

 “You looked like you don’t take bull and all this fancy pazzazz that the rest of the guests here have. The number of people that assume to know who I am, when I’m actually just another businessman," he said with a chuckle. They continued chatting until the other two friends came back.

 “Well, it was nice meeting you, Mr. Hyeongkon,” smiled Jessica.

 “Please, skip the formalities. And thank you, for the company. At least I got the single women off my back,” he joked. “Good night ladies!”

Sohee faced Jessica with a raised eyebrow. “Unnie, are you sure you still want your boyfriend? That Hyeongkon guy was pretty fine too.”

 “And married.”

 “No! But he’s too gorgeous to be bound by a ring!” Jessica nodded. “Ah well, at least my date was super nice and hot.” Sohee grinned dreamily.

 “To reciprocate for ditching me, you are going to tell me all about it!”

***

Yay to my new subbies! I love you! :)