Chapter 32

Destiny

 

 “What do you want, Minho?”

Minho kept his hands in his pocket, keeping his eyes on her. She had her arms folded, her stare looking at the trees on the far side of the school building. “I wanted to talk to you.”

 “So, talk.”

He moved and blocked her view, forcing her to look at him, or rather his chest. “Are you really going to be like this?”

 “Like what?”

 “Avoiding me in the school hallways, no more Hi’s or Bye’s, pretending as if you don’t see me. Don’t think I don’t notice what you’re pulling at.”

Krystal scoffed, still dodging his eyes. “I’m not pulling at anything. I have better things to do than waste my time on your assumptions.” He grabbed her wrist and hauled her back as she turned away. They eyed each other, neither refusing to give up.

 “Then why aren’t you turning away?” he said softly. He let go of her hand, which fell limply to her side. “Why didn’t you pull away last time, and why aren’t you fighting back now?” She Krystal broke off the gaze and focused it on her shoes. He tugged at her chin and brought her face back up. “Because you’re starting to like me.”

 “No.” Krystal shook her head, pushing away his hand. “I gave up my feelings for you the moment I realised you were never coming back. Remember that? Remember when you promised you’d be back but you never did?” The hurtful memory from the past came back. “You went away and never returned. You came back once, one time! After that not even a phone call, or an email, heck not even a letter, nothing!”

 “I had other priorities!”

 “And I wasn’t a priority? You couldn’t just send me a message saying, ‘oh hey, we’re finished’. I could’ve stopped myself from waiting around like an absolute heartsick girlfriend.” She was yelling her pent up anger and disappointment.

Minho ran a hand through his hair. “That was my mistake, I admit and I’m sorry. We were young, but I’ve grown up since then and I’m ready to start things anew. On a whole new page.” He reached for her hand, pleading. “Please, Krystal. Give me this one chance.”

She curled her hands and looked back at him with teary eyes. “Don’t make promises you can’t keep.”

***

 “Krystal, I wish you would’ve told me sooner instead of having to deal with this on your own,” said Suzy, patting the other girl’s back softly as she wept. “Didn’t I say so before.”

 “It all just seems so messy right now.” Krystal patted at her wet eyes, her nose sniffling. “My mind can’t register everything.”

 “What’s making you so upset then?” Krystal sniffled a little more, thinking about the question. 

 “Because… I can’t forget about how I felt when he left. It’s all in the past but being around him, what happened at the after-party and today especially after talking to him, all these old feelings just… decided to reel back in.” She sunk into Suzy’s bed, leaning back on to the headboard. “I feel horrible because Doojoon has no idea and I feel like I’m cheating on him.”

 “You’re not cheating on him.”

 “But I’m letting my ex-boyfriend play with my feelings, Suzy!”

 “Then don’t let him.”

 “I’m trying but I can’t!” Suzy was taken aback as her best friend sat back up, pounding at the bed covers. “I can’t because he’s right. Minho’s right,” she said trailing off, her tears seeping out again.

***

 “Why?” Her grip on his arm tightened. “Why are you doing this?” He had decided to take up the offer for football camp and she’d just found out from a friend. Not him.

 “Because it’s the right thing to do.” He her hair while she refused to let go of her grip. “This could be the turning point in my life and I think it’s best that I go.”

 “You expect me to be OK with it, the day before you’re about to go? You should’ve told me previously!” She was angry now, upset that he had not thought about her.

 “I had to keep things under wraps, Krystal. And I knew that you’d understand because you love me, right?” asked Minho sweetly, trying to get on her good side. “I’ll be gone for a while and before you know it, I’ll be right back here.” He circled his arms around her, pulling her close. “We’ll be back. Just like this.” She wasn’t going to forgive him easily, but she trusted him and that was important.

 “You promise?” Krystal closed her eyes as she placed her head against his chest, hearing the soft beat of his heart.

 “I promise.”

***

 “I don’t know what to do,” mumbled Krystal after she had calmed down. 

 “You can’t do anything unless you sort out how you feel, Soojung. Now, you know my opinion about Minho, but you can’t let my judgement guide you,” advised Suzy gently. “I don’t like the guy, and I don’t know if that’s going to change anytime soon. My guess is it won’t.” Her best friend got off the bed and started cleaning herself up. “But you need to figure this out before it drags on.”

Krystal wiped away her frenzied, smudged make-up. “, I look a mess.”

 “A hot mess.” Suzy gave her a hug. “I hear his car. Put a bit of concealer on, just there. I’ll walk you down.”

She said her farewells, leaving Krystal in the car with Doojoon. She sat quietly, not in the mood for conversation.

 “Is everything OK?” Doojoon asked after taking a few glances at his girlfriend.

Krystal nodded. “Mhmm. Fine.”

 “Your eyes are telling me otherwise though. Have you been crying? Did something happen?”

 “Nope. I must’ve gotten a little carried away with Suzy’s make-up and maybe it caused some irritation.”

Doojoon accepted the answer, half-heartedly. He knew her tone of voice, and that tone was used when she wasn’t bothered to talk. But he decided he’d try to ask one last time. “You’re sure? It was just Suzy’s make-up?”

 “Yes!” snapped Krystal causing him to jump. “What’s with the surprise quiz?!”

 “Alright, I’m sorry.” He stationed the car in front of her house and she abruptly took her belt off and opened the door. She hesitated a bit before turning back and gave him a quick kiss, which barely touched his cheek.

 “I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

Doojoon looked at her again, trying to read this sudden mood. Something didn’t feel right.

***

 “How did you manage to colour all of it red, Onew?” He blushed as he saw the look of surprise on his girlfriend’s face through Skype.

 “I accidentally dropped in one of my red sweaters and it sort of… dyed the rest.” He held up one of his shirts, which was now a light pink. “My socks and underwear I can handle but now I need to go shopping for a new set of shirts. This was one of my favourites as well.”

Jessica burst out laughing at his careless mistake. “Awww, but it’s a nice shade of pink.”

 “I’m never going to be seen wearing this.”

 “Not even for me?” she uttered, still amused.

 “Only in the confined walls of this apartment.” Grinning, he sat back down and stared at the screen. “How was yesterday?”

 “Yesterday was chilled. My aunt wouldn’t stop pestering me about finding Kevin a girlfriend,” she replied. “Work today was hectic though. Busy running errands, from one place to another. Thank God, I decided to wear flats. I’m so grateful that the interns are so cooperating, like everyone pitched in and did their part.”

 “Well, that’s good to hear. I don’t want you overworking yourself.”

 “I’m an intern; I’m allowed to be overworked. Speaking of which, how’s the office renovation progressing?”

“We should be moving in by next week or the week after? Sunny’s coming over in a while. We’re finalising the plans for the concert.”

 “That’s good. Won’t you be getting a few days off after it?” Her eyes twinkled as he understood what she was hinting at.

 “You know I’d love to fly over but one, I’d be a distraction. Two, I’d be a distraction.”

 “No, you won’t,” whined Jessica. “You get a small break, and you get to see me. Double bonus!”

The intercom to his apartment rang, interrupting their session. “I better get that. It’s probably Sunny. I should still be awake when you get up, so I’ll give you a ring then?”

 “Alright. Tell Sunny I said hi.” She waved and blew him a kiss. “Miss you!”

 “Miss you more!” He rushed to open the door and found Sunny with a grim expression on her face. “Whoa, what’s wi-“

 “Hey, I hope you’re hungry!” Behind Sunny out popped another figure holding up a bag. “I brought sushi!”

***