Chapter 43

Destiny

“He’s made the headlines again.” Jessica looked up to see Doojoon reading the front page of the newspaper. “Lee Donghae, son of Lee Dongyup, president of L&L Corporation, was arrested this morning at approximately 2 am for driving under the influence and assault of a club employee.” He shook his head with a chuckle. “He must be enjoying having his name splashed across the pages so often. It’s what, the third time this month? I wonder how his parents are dealing with this.”

 Jessica lead the blue pencil mark itself gracefully upon the paper. “I can’t even imagine. Donghae was always careful around his father but he’s taken it too far this time. I wonder what triggered this,” she said softly. In the time she had known and dated Donghae, he was the perfect son. Of course, this was in the public eye. He never once disrespected his father, nor did he make any attempt to bring his family name down. But lately his name kept popping up in articles and it wasn’t pleasant.

 “Well, I guess it’s about time the world saw his true colours.”

 “Doojoon.”

 “What?” He raised his eyebrows. “One can only hide for so long.”

She shook her head and cleared her table. It didn’t matter to her. Donghae was out of her life. “Anyway, aren’t you supposed to be somewhere? Krystal called me earlier to borrow a dress, so I’m assuming you’re taking her on a fancy date.”

Doojoon grinned. “That’s for me to know and for you to hear about later.” He dodged a ball of paper that was thrown at him as he laughed out loud. “You’re welcome to join us after dinner though. I heard you have plans with Onew tonight.”

 “That’s for me to know and for you to hear about later,” she said mockingly. Jessica picked up her bags and handed one to him. “Since you’re here, you can carry these downstairs. Onew should be waiting.”

It was an unexpected face to see when she stepped out of the elevator. Jessica glanced at the woman once, trying to figure out the familiar face but came to a dead end. She walked out the building to find Onew waiting by his car. A few months had passed since she had come clean to Onew. Her past with Donghae and the difficulty she had faced trying to overcome everything that had happened. It wasn’t easy but with time things gradually got better.

He approached her, pecking her lighly on the cheek. She blushed. “How are you?” he asked.

 “Exhausted,” she replied with a tired smile. “I have never wanted a weekend so bad.”

 “Jessica-ssi.”

The couple turned around and Jessica recognised it to be the same woman that she came across from the elevator earlier. It was at that moment she figured out who it was. She wondered why it took so long for her to think it out when just earlier she had seen the face on the paper. As well as the many previous articles.

 

 “Thank you for taking the time to speak to me.” Jessica nodded politely. Her dinner date with Onew was cancelled upon the sudden guest intrusion. It was Lee Yeonhee, a young actress who had just recently made it big on the scene. She was more known for her academics than her screen abilities, but nonetheless she was a favourite with everyone. Korea’s newest sweetheart, the tabloids wrote. It was no wonder she requested to talk with Jessica within a personal space rather than in public.

 “Does this have to do-” started Jessica.

 “Donghae.”

Jessica sank back into her seat. She had read about the rumours of their supposed fling and romantic encounters, but then you couldn’t believe everything you read in the tabloids, especially ones that loved the gossip.

She cleared . “I don’t have anything to do with him. If you want to know the simple details, we dated, we were engaged, we broke that off and now we’ve moved on. I’ve moved on.” Her eyes fluttered to the figure standing in the back, leaning against the wall. There stood a part of the reason. Onew’s lips twitched, the corners rising slightly. “You can have him.”

 “It’s not that. I just,” Yeonhee paused, her hands clasping and unclasping around her wrist. “I need… I just want to talk? I guess?” Her sorrowed eyes locked with Jessica’s and instantly, Jessica understood. She’d seen the same eyes over and over again each time she looked into the mirror before.

It was the look of desperation.

A desperation of confusion, where you didn’t know what to do but knew that there was an option. An option you were afraid to confront because of the possible consequences.

 “I know I have no right to come here, especially from a nobody like me,” said Yeonhee carefully. Her voice was barely above a whisper. “And of course I shouldn’t assume things based on what I’ve heard but I thought I’d try. They always say rumours shouldn’t be believed and to always go to the source.” Her words were uttered in a rush.

 “Calm down, Yeonhee-ssi,” said Jessica as she gently reached for the other woman’s hand. “No one else is here. You can talk comfortably.”

 “Sorry. I’m just so used to my publicist talking for me and all the reporters popping out of nowhere. It’s hard to get privacy sometimes.”

 “I understand.”

Yeonhee looked up again. “How different was Donghae before and after… you know- um- you two-”

 “-when he used to hit me?” finished Jessica. The other woman flinched slightly and diverted her eyes to the floor. “Very. It was like being with Jekyll and Hyde. It certainly wasn’t easy to adjust to and eventually, I chose to leave. Yeonhee-ssi, if you’re experiencing the same, please, please-”

 “He’s not the same person he was when you were together,” said Yeonhee defensively. Jessica raised an eyebrow, shocked at the sudden outburst. “I know he was- he did bad things to you and I’m extremely sorry but he’s changed now. He’s better. He’s never touched me. Not once.”

 “I see. So- what are you doing here?” She didn’t mean for the question to sound so blunt but there was no other way.

 “I don’t know.” Yeonhee’s eyes glistened as she paused for a breath. “That doesn’t make sense because I’m here, in front of you. But when I say I have no one to talk to, I really do mean no one - no one that might understand Donghae the way - we would. And- and,” with quivering eyes, she looked at Jessica, “I think Donghae’s using,” she blurted.                                                

Jessica’s eyes flew open. That couldn’t be. Sure, Donghae was a frequent drinker. But drugs? He used to hate taking painkillers for a simple headache.

But then again, people change. Some more drastically than others.

 “I can’t confirm it. But I’ve seen some bottles in his car and I know, I know, they’re not prescribed. Even when he’s sick, he hates-”

 “-going to the doctor,” chorused Jessica. Yeonhee nodded earnestly.

 “And he has these mood swings where he’d get erratic and he’ll go to the bathroom and when he comes out, suddenly he’s all fine.” Yeonhee’s face paled and though she had fear set in her, she was worried. “I’ve tried talking to him but he just pushes me aside and I feel helpless. I have no one to turn to. No one. Because if I do tell someone, chances are the public are going to find out and well, everything will be in jeopardy.”

Yeonhee would be in put in jeopardy. She’d be gone in an instant.

 Jessica glanced at the fragile lady sat opposite her. “I don’t care for him the way I did before but as a human being, I do care for his wellbeing.” She studied Yeonhee again. “But, Yeonhee-ssi, maybe it’s better for you to lea-”

 “No!” With a violent shake of her head, Yeonhee gulped back tears. “I truly care for him. But I’m worried and scared at the same time. I’m scared to lose him. I’m scared he’ll hurt me. He needs someone-”

 “No one deserves to be needed if you’re treated that way,” said Onew quietly but firm. He’d heard enough and to let another person go through what Jessica had, he wasn’t going to keep silent. He walked over to the ladies and sat himself down. “You know the right thing to do but you need to be strong enough to do it. For him and most importantly, yourself.”

Jessica’s heart fluttered and her body was tingling all over. She’d heard those words before.

The very same words. Could it be-

 “What do I do?”

Jessica’s mind was still buzzing but she heard Yeonhee’s words. “I think it’s time he faces the reality.” She swallowed. “My mistake was I didn’t do what I should’ve done. I did what I thought was for the best interest of everyone but me, and especially Donghae. Selfish as it sounds, it’s the truth. It benefited no one. If I had spoken up back then, maybe Donghae wouldn’t be the person he is now.”

 “Jessica-”

 “It’s true, Onew. Maybe I could’ve handled all the backlash and been hated on, but at least something would have been done.” Jessica bit her lip as she held back her tears. “But Donghae needs help. He’s not going to ask for it unless someone makes him. I know that for sure. And I know you’re terrified for yourself and the people most important to you, Yeonhee-ssi, but if you’re willing to stand by him and help him, then do it. Get him the help he needs.”

That’s what I should’ve done.

Onew’s hand gently her back up and down, calmly soothing her.

 “You took a big step by coming here and telling it to me. I didn’t even have half the guts to speak to anyone,” said Jessica with a sad smile. Her hands were still around Yeonhee’s. “I know it’s a difficult situation, what with the public eye and all, but do what you feel is right. But bear in mind, what’s happened once can happen again.” Her jaw tightened. “It’s a continuous cycle you can’t break. Not without help.”

Yeonhee’s reddened eyes blinked multiple times, the droplets wetting her cheeks. “Why is it so hard to do the right thing? I don’t know if I’m strong enough.”

Jessica shook her head. “You are. Believe that you are. You have to believe in yourself.”

 

Onew sat up immediately the moment he heard his door click. He could see Jessica’s shadow creeping and the light patter of her feet getting closer.

 “Is she OK?”

She nodded. “I gave her my number in case she needed to call or talk to someone. Poor girl. At least I was just a regular student. She’s got the entire population’s eyes on her.”

 “Comes with the package.”

 “It’s just unfortunate she had to be spiralled into his issues.”

Onew her arm. “You gave her help. You should be proud.”

 “I didn’t do anything.”

 “At least she knows she’s not alone. That’s something, right?” he stated.

She nodded again. “I guess. I did tell her to be careful.”

 “Of?”

 “The consequences. Like Mrs. Lee.”

As much as Jessica adored Donghae’s mum, she had found it hard to accept her son’s wild ways. When Jessica was hospitalised, she had done all she could to get Jessica the best care and recuperation. Jessica appreciated it, to the ends of the Earth but there was an unspoken deal that was drawn between the two. I help you get better, but keep my son out of it.

 “I was too naïve. We both were, I guess. Donghae had a problem but we chose turn a blind eye and pretend like it was temporary.”

He pulled her body close, reaching for her hand. “Was it really that bad? I mean, being in that social circle?”

 “You have no idea, Onew,” breathed Jessica. She wasn’t brought out into the public officially but the times when she did make it to official events, it was difficult to describe it simply. The scrutiny and expectations from the envious eyes of the rich and famous. “There were times when I wanted to run away but then I’d see Donghae and I couldn’t leave him. He was miserable and I knew it. Mrs. Lee knew it too but the easiest thing to do was ignore it. And I didn’t even help him in the slightest bit.”

 “Jess, don’t blame yourself.” Onew pulled himself up to face her as he lightly pushed her soft tendrils away from her face. “I know you say you’ve moved on, I believe you. And you’ve put it all behind you, but don’t feel guilty. Don’t- don’t punish yourself that way.”  

She was biting on her bottom lip harshly, wanting to prevent any signs of her breaking down, but the moment Onew finished speaking, her lips quivered and suddenly the stream of tears fell. Her body shook with sadness and vulnerability. Onew pulled her shaking body close as her head fell against his chest. He gently her hair, carefully hushing her as she wept.

 “Stop doing it to yourself, Jessica. Let it go.”

She cried with heart-wrenching sobs.

She cried for all the pain and penance.

She cried for herself.

***

  “I told you this was a bad idea.”

Krystal gently rubbed her boyfriend’s back as he coughed again, trying to regain stability after feeling sick. He took a quick glance at her with sad puppy eyes and then turned back to the bowl after sensing another up churn from his stomach.

 “It was supposed to be romantic,” he moaned. He wretched again.

 “Romantic could still be done on land! You know you get seasick. The least you could have done was gotten them motion sickness patches,” scolded Krystal. She left and returned with a glass of warm water. “Here, drink this.” Doojoon fell to the toilet floor, fatigued and wretched. She dabbed at his forehead, wiping away the sweat and stray hairs that fell upon his face, drawn to a concerned pout. “Do you feel a little better?”

He clutched her hand and nodded. “I’m sorry, Soojung. I really thought I was going to be fine.”

She smiled. “It’s alright. Stand up, let’s get you laid down.” She heaved his arm around her shoulders and slowly dragged him to the bed. “At least we can enjoy the interior before they dock.”

 “Do you know how much longer they’re going to be?” Doojoon asked, his face still a pale shade of grey. Krystal shrugged and he groaned. “I promise you, I will not go the extra mile for the romance. I’m sorry, Krystal, but we can only settle for land dating. The only movement we’ll be doing is driving in my car.”

With a laugh, she slapped his arm playfully, causing him to jerk forward. He groaned again. “Oh, I’m sorry, oppa. I didn’t mean to,” she said still laughing. “I’m completely fine with dating on solid land, even if it means having to eat a Happy Meal in your car, rain or shine. I don’t need anything more.”

 “Well, that’s a shame.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Why?”

His hand reached for his bag but being bed-ridden, he couldn’t move much. Chuckling, Krystal got up to retrieve it for him. He rummaged around and pulled out a small black velvet pouch. She rolled her eyes and nudged his leg.

 “Why-”

 “I was thinking about whether I should give this to you or not and I mulled over it so many times,” he started explaining as he untied the pouch and emptied the contents in his palm. As small as it was, it was clear to see; a silver charm in the shape of an infinity sign. “This one, the infinity one, is pretty much self-explanatory. I hope that we’ll last to infinity and beyond!” His attempt at quoting Buzz Lightyear irked a bubble of laughter from Krystal. He reached into the bag again and withdrew another item. “And this one,” he grabbed her wrist and carefully clasped the charm on her bracelet, “this one is my promise to you. It’s not the real one but I’m hoping one day I’ll be able to see something like it on your ring finger.”

Krystal gasped as she noticed the charm, shaped like a diamond ring. “Doojoon-”

 “We’ve been through quite a bit these past few months, haven’t we?” She nodded silently, still stunned. He her hair lovingly. “The time we broke up, it was hard. It killed me, Krystal, it really did. But during that time, it got me thinking and I knew then, I didn’t want to lose you again. I know I’m probably sounding really selfish because you’re not getting a say in any of this right now.” She stared at him, unable to speak. “But I want you by my side always and I want to be there for you at all times. I want us to grow old and experience life together.” He paused. “Although we might need to take off anything water related like water-skiing or going on another cruise, cos’ clearly that’s not for me.” He chuckled lightly and Krystal could only giggle.

She hooked her arms around his neck and pulled him close, their foreheads touching. “I love you.” She nuzzled her nose against his. “And we will be together,” she kissed his cheek, “to infinity and beyond.” She dipped her head to reach in for a kiss when he pulled back suddenly.

 “Babe, I love you, but,” she stared at him with wide eyes, “no kissing. Now, yeah, no… not a good time to be kissing. Because, you know, I just sorta threw up.”

She slapped his chest and laughed out loud, happily settling for another kiss on the cheek. “We’re never, ever going on a cruise again.”

***

 "Are you watching the news?”

Jessica scowled as she chewed her apple. “I just got home.”

 “Switch on your TV.”

She grabbed the remote and found the 9 o’clock news. stopped chewing and her eyes widened.

 “Lee Yeonhee, dubbed as the nation’s newest sweetheart, has come forth with her relationship with troubled heir and son of business tycoon Lee Dongyup. Details of Lee Donghae’s turbulent-”

 “Before that they mentioned about his arrest and all the trouble he’s been getting. Apparently he’s signed up to a rehabilitation clinic but not before he serves jail time or community service,” relayed Doojoon over the phone line. “Seems like his parents are trying whatever they can to not get him behind bars.”

 “-domestic abuse-”

 “Rehabilitation?”

 “Alcoholism. And anger management. And all the other issues that has. What else would there be?”

Jessica exhaled a sigh of relief. So Yeonhee hadn’t mentioned everything. “Nothing. Of course, it would be his drinking.”

 “-Lee Yeonhee’s agency has confirmed that the two were dating but have now split. Her reps have said that despite it all, she wishes the best for Lee Donghae.”

 “Didn’t you say you talked with her before? Lee Yeonhee?”

 “Yeah, like a month ago or so.”

That was the first and last time Jessica saw Yeonhee. They had exchanged a few messages but after a week, it all just stopped and she didn’t think to ask.

 “Doojoon, I need to make a phone call. I’ll talk to you later, alright.”

 

Her fingers scrolled through her contact list and she found the name. With a nervous heart, she dialled and waited for the ringing tone to stop.

 “Hello?” an airy, light voice greeted her.

 “Yeonhee-ssi.”

 “I had to, Jessica-ssi.” She could hear the other woman’s voice crack. “He got angry when I asked him about the drugs and he just lost control and-” she choked back a sob, “and he slapped me.”

Jessica sat down, her legs shaking. She closed her eyes as the memories flooded back and she could only wish that Yeonhee had not gone through it.

 “I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you sooner,” cried Yeonhee. “I honestly thought he wouldn’t-”

Jessica dabbed at her silent tears. “It’s OK. At least you’re fine now, that’s the most important thing.”

A chord of silence rose and during normal situations it would’ve been awkward but this one was comforting.

 “Thank you, Jessica-ssi,” spoke Yeonhee. “If it wasn’t for you I-”

 “I don’t deserve a thank you. If anything I should’ve done more so you didn’t have to deal with all of this.”

 “I’m fine.” Yeonhee sniffled and spoke with a bold voice. “Maybe not right now, but I will be.”

Jessica nodded, her heart finally feeling at ease as she heard those words. “Yes, you will be. Take care, Yeonhee-ssi.”

 “You too and Jessica-ssi?”

 “Hmm?”

 “We’ll keep in touch?”

Jessica smiled slightly. “Anytime. I’m only a phone call away.”

 

Jessica opened the door and her face lit up, surprised and pleased to see the familiar face.

 “I watched the news earlier.” Her head nodded as she rested on his broad shoulders. “Did she call you?”

 “Yeah. I called her actually.”

He pulled back to look at her. “Oh?”

 “No one else would’ve asked her otherwise. Not anyone that knew the extent of how Donghae was like.”

 “I see. And what about you? Are you OK?” he asked in a concerned tone.

Jessica looked down to her feet. “Honestly, I wasn’t. I wasn’t a hundred percent fine because I knew Donghae was out there living his life and I was here feeling scared.” She glanced back up. “You were right… about blaming myself and all that. I thought I had to do that.”

Onew tilted her chin towards him. “You can share all the blame with me now. Dump it all on me if you need to.”

She tittered and slapped his chest playfully. “You might regret giving me that offer.” Standing on her tiptoes, she softly pressed her lips against his, as his arms tightened around her, pulling her in for a stronger kiss. “But I’ll take it.”

***

Hi everyone! It has been ages hasn't it?! An infinite apologies! Honestly I had writer's block (and endless uni life) since I didn't know how to transition into ending this story. Writing an ending is so hard :( Anyway, hope this is enough till the next update (which I'm hoping, really am) to be done by this weekend~! And that would be the last and final chapter, just as a heads up :) Thank you once again for being so patient! xxx