Chapter 27

Destiny

Jessica tugged at Onew’s chin before giving him a quick kiss. “What’s on your mind?” Onew looked up in surprise as Jessica smiled. “You’re biting your lip, which means either you’re thinking or you’re worried about something.”

 “Or I could just be daydreaming.”

 “Hmm, or that.” Jessica placed her head on Onew’s shoulder as they watched people passing by. “Onew, what are your goals in life?”

Onew thought about it. “Well, first thing is to pass my degree, so I won’t have to worry about qualifications. I can’t really say I’d want to work at some place cos’ I quite like my job right now.” He paused for a moment. “I guess one day I’d like to release my own song. One that I’ve composed and it’ll become a hit. I don’t even mind if it’s a one hit wonder.”

 “I bet if you wrote a song about me, it’d be a one hit wonder,” said Jessica cheekily.

 “I don’t know if you’re worth a song.” Jessica elbowed him sharply as Onew let out a laugh. “I’d have to write an album if I wanted to sing about you.”

 “Ooooh, that’s not a bad idea actually.”

 “What are your goals?”

Jessica pondered the question for some time. When she had asked him first, her intention was to lead it to the news she wanted to break. “I want to open up my own boutique, selling my own line of clothes that I designed. It’s what I’ve always dreamt of.”

 “Ever since you were little?”

She bobbed her head, her cheek grazing his chest. “I remember the time when I saw my mum wear this dress. It was so simple, but the way it fell on her, the way it flowed when she walked. It was just stunning. And I could see how she felt wearing it.” Onew heard the excitement in her voice as she spoke. “I want to share that feeling with everyone; the look, the feel when you wear something good.” She paused before continuing. “There’s, there’s something I have to tell you. I’ve been wanting to say this to you, but I couldn’t and I’d really, really appreciate it if you would just listen.”

Onew nodded, knowing exactly what she was talking about, but kept quiet. She brought her eyes down to her lap, to where her hands were placed. Slowly and carefully, she told him the details of the internship whilst Onew sat and listened intently.

 “… And I think I’m going to go,” finished Jessica, her voice just above a whisper. He didn’t say anything. He wasn’t saying anything. She bit the inside of her cheek nervously.

 “What makes you think you can’t go?” he asked.

Jessica’s face turned into one of surprise. “Huh?”

 “Why wouldn’t you go?”

***

 “I got a reply from the New York School of Design!” exclaimed Jessica excitedly. She waved the acceptance letter in front of him. “Look! Look! They saw my portfolio and they want me to go for an interview!”

Donghae snatched the paper away from her hand. He quickly scanned the contents before scrunching it up into a ball. Jessica’s mouth dropped open.

 “Oppa, wha-“

 “Who the hell do you think you are? Applying for something without even consulting me?” He stepped closer and looked down on her. “What school would accept a student like you?”

 “I… I just thought I’d try and-“

 “And what? You’d get in and everything will work out?” Donghae sneered, chucking the ball of paper into the trashcan. “You’re not going anywhere. Not without me.”

 “But they c-could still reject me… it’s n-not even for sure,” she stammered.

Donghae’s jaw was taut. “Exactly! I’ll become the laughing stock… that my fiancée can’t even pass a simple interview.” Jessica’s face fell and her eyes were focused on the ground. She bit her lip, holding her tears back. “It’s better if you don’t go and make it seem like you turned it down. At least people will think that… that design school or whatever was not worth your time.”

Her tears were now falling freely, her head still down. Donghae wrapped her into a hug, patting her back. “Now, now… don’t cry. I’m doing this for you. For the both of us.” He brought her chin up and spoke softly. “It’s not good for our name if you get rejected. My father is an important man, and you… you are practically a part of this family now. You’re going to be an important woman soon. And, you’re way better than having to attend some school.”

Jessica continued crying, not letting out a squeak of a sound. Not even a sob. Not even a hiccup. Just her tears falling.

 “Now, go and clean up. Take a quick shower and I’ll see you downstairs for dinner,” said Donghae gently. “I don’t want to see your pretty face all teary and blotchy.” He kissed her hand and she stumbled her way to the door, stunned.

 “Jessica!” He called her back and she stopped in her tracks. Maybe he was going to apologise again. Maybe he was going to give her a bear hug like he always did. “Make sure you dress appropriately for dinner. Father has invited important clients over.”

Maybe not.

***

 “… It’s a one-time opportunity and if you want to go, then go. Do it. I’ll be here, supporting you, the whole way,” continued Onew, his hand now placed on top of hers. “It’s the one step to chasing your goal. If anyone should stop you from going, it would only be you.”

 “I’m going to be gone for three months,” she mumbled.

Onew let out a small chuckle. “And I’ll be lonely for three months, but it’s not like we haven’t been apart from each other before. I think I’ve done enough of that for the past few months.” He raised her face and he smiled apologetically, knowing how difficult it was for her (and him), with their frequent time apart. He had thought a lot about what to say to her when this time came, and he sincerely told her what he wanted. “I’m sorry.”

 Jessica shook her head and gripped his hand tightly, utterly surprised and thankful that this was going a lot smoother than she had thought. “Don’t apologise, please. We can blame Sunny for that.” They laughed and she snuggled herself back into his side. “So, you’re really OK with me going?”

 “Mmhmm.”

 “And you’ll miss me?” she asked him, both teasingly and in seriousness.

 “Will you miss me?”

 “I asked you.”

 “Ladies first.”

 “Oooh, is this how we’re going to do it.”

 “You started it!”

 “You should finish it!”

 “And I turn out to not be a gentleman for not letting the lady answer?!”

 “It’s just a simple yes!”

 “Awww! See, I got you to answer me!”

***

Her pen lay unmoved, her writing book empty. Krystal had arrived home three hours ago; after a shower, quick dinner and four snack breaks later, she was sat at her study desk, and had progressed with nothing. Clearly, this homework of hers was going to be an all-nighter. That is, if the all-nighter would actually produce results. Sighing, she got up and headed down to the kitchen to find another snack. She heard the sound of a car driving off, and she knew her sister was home.

Jessica saw the kitchen lights on and curiously peeked in. She found her younger sister solemnly dunking her Oreos into a glass of milk, her face blank.

 “I hate feelings.”

Jessica raised her eyebrows. “…OK.”

 “Why do you feel one thing and then the next, it’s something else! It’s like Jekyll and Hyde! Does this alternating of feelings have to do with hormones too? Friggin oestrogen and… and… hormones!” ranted Krystal fiercely.

Jessica set her bag down and slipped herself into the seat next to Krystal. “Alright, Krystal. What happened? And don’t say it’s PMS.” She sneaked an Oreo into .

Krystal sighed. “I had a small run in with Minho and well, yeah.”

 “That tells me so much.”

The younger Jung considered whether she should tell her sister or not. While Jessica was kind-hearted and fair, for those that she had taken a dislike, she disliked. And Minho had managed to place himself in that category.

 “So, what did you guys ‘run in’ to?” badgered Jessica.

Maybe I should deal with this on my own. I’m old enough to not drag other people into my problems. “Yeah, at the basketball courts and I was really grouchy I was fine at first but then suddenly I got all angry and I yelled at him.”

 “That’s it?”

Krystal nodded. “Yeh-huh.”

 “Really?” Jessica narrowed her eyes, not fully convinced.

 “Yep.”

 “Alright then. If you’ve done your ranting, I’m going to head upstairs!”

Wait, what? Krystal stared at her sister in wonder. What happened to Detective Jessica?

Well, at least someone’s in a better mood.

***

 “One espresso please, to go.” Minho paid for his order and waited to be served.

 “You hate coffee.”

He turned to the voice that spoke, and found Lizzy standing, her arms crossed with a smug look on her face. “I didn’t know how to appreciate it last time. I like my daily espressos.” He picked up his drink and walked out. Lizzy followed after him.

 “I need to talk to you.”

 “We have nothing to talk about, Lizzy.”

 “It’s about Krystal Jung.” He paused momentarily in his tracks. She scoffed. “Hah, I knew her name would get your attention.” She was beside him now, trying to catch up to his pace.

 “I saw you two at the courts yesterday. I know you still like her. And I know you want to start over, but you can’t, because there’s that one hurdle you just can’t cross.” She stepped in front of him, blocking his way. “Her boyfriend.”

Minho frowned. “My espresso’s getting cold.”

 “So, I’ll help you win Krystal, and I get my end of the deal,” said Lizzy.

 “What deal is that?”

 “I have a little something.”

 “I’m not interested.”

Lizzy flicked an invisible peace of fluff off his shoulder and gave him a smile. “Oh but you will be. Toodles!”

Now, for Krystal Jung.

***

Doojoon felt a pair of arms circling him from the back and a kiss on his temple. “Hey you.”

 “Hello to you too.” He pulled the girl around and wrapped his arms around her waist. “What were you doing?”

She threw her hands up. “I was doing my nails and then I made a blunder cos’ you rang. Aren’t they still pretty though?”

Doojoon chortled lightly. “Yes, very pretty. I don’t get the fascination girls have with nail polish. It all looks so tedious.”

 “Well, if you would give me the chance to do that manicure I keep telling you about, then maybe you’d understand. It takes time, but so worth it at the end of the day.”

 “Never!”

 “There’s nothing wrong with a little grooming.”

Doojoon shook his head. “No thanks. I’m happy being au naturel.”

She pinched his cheeks playfully. “Whatever.”

 “So, I was thinking, we have the week off school next Monday. How about we do a little roadtrip? Junhyung and Hara suggested it.”

 “I’d love to, but me and unnie wanted to spend some quality time before she leaves,” said Krystal ruefully. “Even though we still have three weeks till then.”

 “Leaves? Where to?”

 “She didn’t tell you? I thought I mentioned it to you before. She got that internship in New York.”

Doojoon nodded, feeling a little dismayed that he was the last person to be told. “It’s getting late. I’ll see you tomorrow morning.” He pulled her up and she purposely fell into him, squeezing him at the same time. “I love you.”

 “I love you more.”

 “Don’t start, Soojung. We’ll be out here the whole night debating who loves who more.” He bent down, making their noses lightly touch each other’s. “I’d win anyway.”

Krystal stared at him intensely before breaking it off with a peck on the lips. She stuck her tongue out. “Drive safe, alright.” He bobbed his head once and ushered her in. He walked away, then turned and looked at a window. He took his phone out and typed a message. A minute or two passed and the very same window lit up.  

She got the text message.

***

From Doojoon:

I heard about New York. See, I knew you’d get it :) Good night.

Jessica’s thumb hovered over the reply button.

***

From Jessica:

Good night.

It may not have been much to anyone else, but that was the first reply he had gotten from her in weeks. He grinned before falling asleep.

***