Chapter 26

Destiny

Krystal rustled through her backpack impatiently, trying to find the item she was looking for. “Where the bloody hell is it?” she huffed crossly. “This always happens to me. Of all times, when I effing need it, I can’t find it.”

 “What are you looking for?” asked Suzy.

 “My lip gloss.”

Suzy turned to her with a deadpanned expression. “Seriously, Krystal?”

 “What?!” Her best friend reached into her back pocket and pulled out the lip gloss. Krystal curled her lips into a bitter smirk and grabbed it. “Thanks.”

 “What is up with you? You’ve been all snappy and hormonal since this morning.”

Krystal exhaled and shot Suzy a glare. “Today is Monday. The first day of the week. I had classes all day, and I still need to train for athletics. Also, thanks to someone, I have to go meet a certain somebody at the basketball courts after hours.”

 “Oh.” Suzy grinned sheepishly before throwing her arm around Krystal. “Well, look at the bright side, when today ends, you’ll never have to see it again! It’ll be gone!” Krystal stood there, blinking blankly at her friend, clearly not impressed. “Oh come on, Soojung. It won’t be that bad.”

 “Awkward is more like it.”

 “If he, or rather if the two of you are adults about this, then it won’t be awkward.”

 “Oh hey, by the way, we shouldn’t hang out so often cos’ we have history and my current relationship is kinda suffering because of it?” said Krystal sarcastically.

Suzy grinned proudly, nodding. “Exactly!”

 “You are impossible.”

 “Impossible is never impossible,” said Suzy in English as Krystal raised her eyebrows in question. “Isn’t that how the quote goes? Or was it impossible is nothing? Nothing is impossible? Soojung, what is it again? Soojung? Soojung! Don’t leave me!”

***

“If I hear another ‘good’ reason to buying quality baby stuff, my bank account is going to cry,” said Taecyeon exasperatedly.

 “Oppa, how can you be so thoughtless!” whispered Tiffany pointing to her belly. “The baby can hear you.”

Taecyeon rolled his eyes and bent down to her belly, carefully rubbing it. “Hey little one, it’s your daddy. I just thought you should know that even though you haven’t entered this materialistic world yet, you’re draining daddy’s money.” He glanced up at Tiffany. “But you’re worth it, so I’ll let you off this time.” He smiled.

Jessica pretended to gag. “Excuse me, while I barf.”

 “Should I bring a plastic bag for later just in case?” chimed in Onew. Jessica nodded.

Tiffany and Taecyeon chose to ignore the snide remarks and continued to smile lovingly at each other, exuding the air of a happily married couple. Onew took a peek at Jessica who returned his gaze, and quickly diverted their eyes back down to the table as they felt the awkwardness.

 “I’m sure Yuri has a lot to say about pregnancy and motherhood. Especially with her pre- and post baby healthy dieting,” said Jessica.

Tiffany nodded. “Tell me about it. She’s been going on non-stop about drinking this and eating that. She mentioned this weird concoction, you know her and her blended shakes, and I refuse to even think, let alone drink it.” She shuddered.

 “Maybe you should listen to her, Fany. Those chicken wings aren’t exactly your healthiest bet.” Taecyeon eyed her plate, hoping she would let him eat. Tiffany pulled the plate closer to her and purposely chewed on a wing.

 “And Seohyun has been telling me all kinds of pregnancy precautions.”

 “Oh, Seo Joohyun, that girl. She doesn’t even have a kid yet, why’s she advising you?”

 “You know how she is, Jessi. She’s always been one that has this motherly air to her. Bless her heart.”

Taecyeon and Onew zoned out, leaving the female conversation and headed to the bar for some drinks.

 “You know, hyung, you should join us for a game sometime. We do need some help in the defence area,” invited Onew.

 “Yeah, that’d be great, but I’m all up to here with my work. These investors are such difficult people to work with. It’s a never ending game.”

Onew chuckled. “Yeah, so I hear.”

 “Anyway, Jessica must be excited for New York.” Onew’s hand paused mid-air from taking a sip.

 “New York…”

 “Yeah, that internship of hers. She’s super excited but I’m guessing you’re not, right?” joked Taecyeon lightly. “Being apart from one another for three months.”

Onew nodded, slowly. “Three months.”

Taecyeon noticed Onew’s expression and placed his beer on the bar top. “, Onew. She hasn’t told you yet?” He clicked his tongue in annoyance. “Aish, that girl… I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to be the one to tell you. I’m sure she meant to tell you… soon.”

 “Yeah…” Onew continued sipping his drink. He pondered for a while. “Hey, hyung, um, don’t tell Jessica I know about it. I just-“

 “No worries, Onew. You never knew. I mean, what? Investors, yes.” The older man patted his back, understanding. “We’ll just say we had a male-to-male bonding session.”

 “A waxing session?” They found Tiffany marching over to their side, Jessica in tow.

 “A male-to-male bonding session.”

 “… Right.”

 “Honest!”

 “OK, I believe you. Now can you get the bill, please? Gossip Girl is on tonight.”

Taecyeon sighed and took out his wallet. “Why don’t you believe me? Bromance is what it’s all about these days!”

***

Krystal sat on the basketball court, reading her school notes. Or rather attempted to read her notes. She scribbled here and there. She flipped the pages back and forth. Time didn’t seem to want to pass.

 “Krystal!” Minho called and jogged over to her. She got to her feet, patting her jeans clean.

Finally.

 “Hi.”

 “Sorry I made you wait. I was running a little late from class.”

 “It’s fine.” No it’s not. You’ve always been late. Ever since high school. Choi Minho, always five minutes late.

 “So, what are we doing here?”

Krystal fidgeted and looked elsewhere, anywhere but Minho’s face. She found it difficult to start the conversation. “You know what, let’s jog around the courts. I need to clear my head.” Without waiting for an answer, she made her move.

And they jogged, side by side, sometimes he was ahead of her, sometimes he was behind her. They did that for God knows how long, until Krystal stopped and lay down on the courts, breathing heavily. Minho placed himself next to her, their hands inches away from touching.

 “We shouldn’t see each other anymore.” Krystal looked up to the sky, her breathing gradually getting back to normal. “It’s not… a good idea.” Minho kept silent. “I can’t really explain why, but I think it’s best we… keep our distance.”

 “We’re training tomorrow,” he finally spoke.

 “I know. And we’ll still train together, it’s just after hours and stuff, we shouldn’t-“

Minho got up and stared ahead. “Is this what Doojoon hyung told you to do? Is he jealous or something?”

This time Krystal stood up and shook her head. “No, no, this is all on my- I chose to do this.” Minho nodded, still avoiding her eyes. “Now that I’ve said what I need to say, um, I should get going. Thanks for coming out here.” She went and grabbed her things, pausing in front of Minho before leaving. “I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

Minho grabbed her wrist. “Why?” Krystal turned back to him, startled. “Why are you doing this?”

Krystal swallowed the lump in . She knew this was going to happen. It all seemed all too familiar. “Because it’s the right thing to do.”

 “The right thing to do,” muttered Minho, shaking his head. “The right thing to do for?”

 “Myself… my relationship, with Doojoon, with you. I don’t want to make a mess of my relationship with Doojoon. I love hi-”

 “Do you really?” Minho finally gazed at her straight in the eye, his hand still wrapped around her wrist. “Is it because you love him and it’s not because you’re starting to have feelings for me?”

 “What?” Krystal wrenched her wrist out of his grip. “What are you talking about?”

 “Don’t deny it, Krystal. You and I both know there’s something here. There’s something between us.” His fiery gaze shot through his eyes. “There’s always been something.”

 “Stop it, Minho. Just stop it!” she yelled. Krystal glared back at him, not wanting to lose. “I’m leaving. Again, I’ll see you tomorrow.” And she left him standing there lonesome.

I’ll get you back.

I let you go once; I’m not letting it happen again.

I will get you back, Krystal.

***

Krystal quickened her pace, as fast as her feet could take her, away from the basketball courts.

Away from Minho.

Away from it all.

As soon as one thing on her to-do list was crossed off, there was always another item added on. She breathed out noisily, bothered and agitated.

“You and I both know there’s something here. There’s something between us.”

She shook her head defiantly, wanting to get rid of the conversation.

Because she knew it was true.

***